bad registration on a Xerox 6180

REM

Postby REM » June 4th, 2008, 1:21 am

I just got a Xerox 6180DN laser printer.

There are two problems.

1. I can't match the color I used to get on my H-P 1200 business inkjet.

2. I can't modify the registration when I print. I have printed and entered the modifications onto the calibration page but the 6180 doesn't seem to accept them.

Any suggestions.
Nick

Postby Nick » June 4th, 2008, 2:58 am

Hi REM,

1. Use profiles for color match. Note that it is not necessary HP printed colors correctly but Xerox doesn't. It can be vice-versa.
This discussion can be helpful for you (there are other discussions on this question):
http://www.belightsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3774

The monitor, printer and image should have proper profiles to make the image look in the same way.

2. Did you calibrate the Xerox printer? Using the calibration information of another printer may not work.
The calibration sheet does not change when you modify the calibration values. You should print your design to see that calibration was successful.

Nick
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » June 4th, 2008, 7:46 am

Hi,
It seems like this model (Xerox 6180DN) doesn't support ColorSync (and so, have not dedicated color profile(s)) unlike the 6130 for example.
As for the 6120DN (the model I own), the 6180 uses a kind of proprietary color matching system (Quick Color for the 6120).
At first, try to make some tests using "In Printer" from the "Color Matching" menu.
Use a photo/image opened in Preview.app then print it using the default factory settings from the "Printer Features" menu.
Don't forget that you may change color profile embedded in the image used for test (Tools>Match to Profile…). sRGB and Adobe RGB (1998) seem to be the only ones known by this printer (Printer Features>2. Color Adjustment>RGB Profile), so use an image with one of these profiles to make your tests.
Don't use pdf files for this purpose as there's no way to change color profile(s) of "objects" used in a pdf file (in Preview.app at least).
Don't forget that the paper you choose (quality, color, coated/uncoated) makes a really big difference in result.
Hope this helps.
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website
REM

Postby REM » June 6th, 2008, 8:38 pm

I have gotten the color close to where I want it.

The second problem is registration.

By this, I mean that I can't get the printer to print to the avery card stock properly. I have run a calibration sheet but to no avail. I was able to get the registration fine when printing to the H-P business inkjet 1200dtn but the 6180DN will not change where it places the business card on the sheet no matter what I do.

I have been in contact with Xerox, but all their suggestions have not worked.

The 6180 defaults to Postscript.
REM

Postby REM » June 7th, 2008, 11:45 pm

To try to solve my problem I have rebuilt the card from scratch.

Although I choose the page setup to be American letter and the Avery stock I choose is American letter is size the stock size that shows up under paper handling are A4.

How can I change this permanently?
Nick

Postby Nick » June 8th, 2008, 3:58 am

REM,

I'll ask our programmers about calibration and Postscript printers on Monday.

Please make sure that you print the calibration sheet and a page with cards in the same printing mode. Printing calibration in the draft mode and then printing cards in high quality mode is not a good idea.

Page format.
Check the program Preferences (Cmd-,). In the Printing section, there is the Ignore printer page settings option. It forces the program to use A4 paper format. Disable it to get the output page format correspond the Avery stock paper. Note that this option can affect the positioning of cards on paper.

Nick
REM

Postby REM » June 8th, 2008, 8:33 am

Nick

Just to try it I printed after changing the preferences to disable the A4. Didn't seem to help. I then printed it with the cut lines & dotted marks and it appeared to change the registration. I then printed it without the lines & marks, and the change appeared to take.
REM

Postby REM » June 8th, 2008, 7:19 pm

I must thank all who have helped me get very close to where I need to be especially Jean-Jacques Boutaud and Nick.
Nick

Postby Nick » June 9th, 2008, 3:33 am

The programmers say that it shouldn't matter whether you calibrate Postscript printer or non-postscript.

Nick
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » July 26th, 2008, 7:45 am

Jean-Jacques Boutaud wrote:Hi,
It seems like this model (Xerox 6180DN) doesn't support ColorSync (and so, have not dedicated color profile(s)) unlike the 6130 for example.

Hi all,
I don't like to say that but it seems that I was wrong! ;^)

An 6180 icc profile is available from the English (or English US) download area (but not from other languages areas (stupid idea, imho)).
http://www.support.xerox.com/go/results.asp?Xlang=en_US&XCntry=USA&prodID=6180&ripId=&Xtype=download
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website

Return to “Business Card Composer”