Shadowy text

Hamlyn

Postby Hamlyn » April 29th, 2008, 3:38 pm

I seem to be experiencing a problem of double text or shadowed text and believe me I have tried absolutely everything possible in an effort to resolve the problem but nothing seems to be working. I have version 3.1 of BCC. The problem is most obvious when I print Multiple Designs on one sheet, because it is then when one can easily appreciate that some cards are absolutely perfect (the text is crisp and clear and all other aspects are excellent) while other cards are not. With the cards that are not perfect, the text appears as if it were doubled or with a shadow. In some cases, sometimes certain shapes seem to suffer from the shadow effect as well. The text appears perfect when on screen, but when printed one can easily see the defect.

The problem is also apparent when printing a single design on a page independent of whether I use a programme template or my own design from scratch. It also occurs when printing a Photoshop File.

I have a HP DeskJet F380 All-in-One.

Any suggestions will be most appreciated.
Nick

Postby Nick » April 30th, 2008, 2:55 am

Hi Hamlyn,

Here are some questions:
1. When you open a card design that wasn't printed perfectly, does it look correctly in BCC?
Does the affected text have shadow in the design?
Can you print an individual card without doubled text?
2. There are two independent shadow effects - one is provided in BCC and another by the operating system (in the Font pane). If you don't want any shadow, make sure that both were turned off.

3. You own not the latest version of BCC. The last one is 4.5 where the problem may be fixed. For some users upgrade is free for some isn't.
If you are aligible for free upgrade, please move to the version 4.5.
If you aren't and if you don't want to pay for upgrade to version 4.x, update to 3.2 is still available here:
http://www.belightsoft.com/download/download.php#bccomposer
In any case you can download version 4.5 and run it in the demo mode to see if the problem exists there.

Nick
Hamlyn

Postby Hamlyn » May 1st, 2008, 4:31 am

Nick, thanks for your prompt reply. By some miraculous feat of nature, karma, energy, force...call it what you may, I seem to have solved the problem insofar as the BCC templates are concerned! I think it had something to do with the independent shadow effect provided in BCC. I went through all of your questions in detail and fiddled with everything. I must have resolved the problem while doing so. Thanks. I must have overlooked this during my original attempts at resolving the problem although I find it hard to believe that I wouldn't have checked the shadow effect first because it was (or would have been) one of the first points of call, logically. The truth is I'm really not that sure, I can't remember what happened exactly, I was literally at the point of tossing my printer over the balcony! Well, I can tell you that I have made a few printouts and can safely confirm (for the moment) that I believe I have the problem solved! What a relief!

However, I'm not all out of the woods yet. The problem I described in the first paragraph was with doing a design using the BCC templates. Now, I have a .psd file that was sent to me by a friend for printing and it seems that the problem still persists. So I created an exact copy of the original .psd design using "New" from the File menu and as strange as this may seem, the shadow problem is still there. It doesn't make any sense to me. You can believe me when I tell you that this time you can bet that the first thing I checked was the shadow effect and I can confirm that it was turned off! Let me reiterate that creating a design from "New from Assistant" in the File menu (BCC templates) seems to be OK now, but when I try printing a design created from "New", I get this problem. I am printing white text onto a dark green background. The effect I am getting now with the text is a lighter shade of green in the form of a shadow.

Do you have any suggestions? Many thanks.
Hamlyn

Postby Hamlyn » May 2nd, 2008, 5:48 am

Nick, I forgot to mention in my last post that I upgraded to version 3.2 and the problem is still there. I then downloaded version 4.5 and used the demo mode as you suggested and the problem of text shadow in my imported .psd file is still there.
Nick

Postby Nick » May 3rd, 2008, 1:47 am

With a simple psd file, BCC works correctly. Could you post a link to download your BCC document, or send the document to support@belightsoft.com - I will take a look.

Nick
Hamlyn

Postby Hamlyn » May 4th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Nick,

A few more (strange) points worth considering:

You remember in my second post where I said that I seemed to have solved the problem with the shadowed text, insofar as the template designs were concerned? Well, I thought I would take it one step further and test the templates on the basis of changing other characteristics of the templates to see whether the problem would resurface. It turns out that when I changed the background colour, for example, the shadow comes back. So, in effect, I’m back to square one since it seems that I can only use a template once I don’t manipulate it in any way, which in effect, is useless.

Designing a card from “New” results in the same problem of shadowed text.

Hamlyn
Nick

Postby Nick » May 5th, 2008, 4:08 am

Hamlyn,

I have printed your card in psd format which was sent me by e-mail. Printouts by BCC, Preview.app and Photoshop look similarly, and text is not shadowed.

I think, the shadow is not actually a shadow, but misalignment of basic printer colors. In this case, printing from any program may give such an effect.
All inkjet printers have a cartridge aligning (calibration) option. Please run it according to the printer documentation.

Nick
Hamlyn

Postby Hamlyn » June 10th, 2008, 9:37 am

Nick:

Hamlyn here again! Just wanted to let you know that I believe I have discovered what the problem was with the shadowy text. After a lot of frustration and hardship of trying over and over again, after having contacted HP, downloaded new drivers, read all the manuals, FAQs, Technical Notes, consulted with the belightsoft forum, etc., I think I now feel pretty confident in diagnosing what seems to have been the problem. I think it had something to do with a physical misalignment of some characteristic of the printer itself, possibly some worn part coming out of set and causing the misalignment. I put the printer through its paces before and it is possible that it suffered as a result. It's not meant for heavy use, just occasional printing and light home use. It probably needs a good look over, service and replace worn parts, etc. and then I'm sure the problem would be solved. But then again, I don't think it's really worth spending money to fix a 80 euro printer. Just thought I would fill you in on the goings on.

Nonetheless, I would like to thank you very much indeed for all of your help and interest in trying to resolve the issue with me. I decided to buy a new printer more adequate to my needs: HP OfficeJet Pro K5400. It is an amazing piece of machinery, as fast as a rocket, with laser quality printing, and economical on ink. Thanks again Nick!

Kind regards,

Hamlyn
Nick

Postby Nick » June 11th, 2008, 3:52 am

Hamlyn,

Thanks for information about your findings.

Reading my suggestions above, I cannot believe that I have mentioned nothing about raster/vector printing. It is worth to compare print results with Print as raster image option selected and deselected in the Print dialog.

Nick

Return to “Business Card Composer”