Printing problems

cobrapilot

Postby cobrapilot » February 10th, 2008, 7:55 pm

Very strange. When I print on the Avery business card sheet the printing begins at the top of the page. But when I print on a standard sheet of paper it prints just fine. I have done everything the help section says including calibrating the printer. HP Deskjet D4160. I've used up a box of cards trying to get this program to print on the card stock. Oh yes, I am running a G5 Dual core Mac and I do have Leopard installed. Thank you. Michael K.
Nick

Postby Nick » February 11th, 2008, 5:13 am

Hi Michael,

Probably your printer treats business card paper in other way than standard paper (normally, it is thiner).

1. Which part number has your paper?
2. Did you set it in the program for your business card document?
3. How far the top card was printed from the normal location?
And, what about the bottom cards? Are they at the proper location?
4. How the printing output differs when you change the calibration values?

Please check the state of the "Ignore printer page settings" option on the Printing tab of the program preferences. If the check box is selected, clear it and try printing or calibration from scratch.

Nick
cobrapilot

Postby cobrapilot » February 11th, 2008, 9:28 am

Hello Nick,

Thank you for the response.

1) I did enter the Avery part number in the program and it does printer perfectly on the test paper. I'm glad I made several copies of the test sheets. I may pick up a different brand of business card stock and start over from beginning.

2) Yes, I did set it in the program. The very first sheet I printed when I finished composing my card worked great but not since.

3) The printing starts at the top edge of the card stock and is the same measurement from the bottom edge so it is like the printed cards are shifted up about 3/8 inch on the card stock. On the test sheets it is okay.

4) The printing on the card stock does not change when I change the calibration values.

I will check the state of the "Ignore printer page settings" option and if the check box is selected, I will clear it and try printing from scratch.

I will be on Holiday from 14th to27th but I will let you know how this works when I get back.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Mike
Nick

Postby Nick » February 12th, 2008, 6:02 am

Mike,

Thanks for information. I will be waiting your reply about "Ignore printer page settings". Please tell me the exact name of Avery paper it contains a number like "Avery 08377".

Nick
beermaker

Postby beermaker » March 18th, 2008, 2:23 am

Hello,

I just purchased Business Card Composer 4 today and I am having the same problem as this forum topic.

I have calibrated the printer twice...once before I checked the ""ignore printer option and once after (I reset to 0 before the second calibration with "ignore printer options." I have also tried the "raster image." Calibrating does change the vertical alignment but I have been all over the place. At first my cards were too high and now they are too low. The bottom card are also low but seem to get less further down the page.

I am using a HP D4160 as in this forum topic. I am using Avery 8371 and it is in my predefined layout as the paper stock. Any help would be great.

Beermaker
Nick

Postby Nick » March 18th, 2008, 5:46 am

Beermaker,

1. You are writing:
Calibrating does change the vertical alignment...
At first my cards were too high and now they are too low.

What have you done to change the cards location?

2. After changing the calibration settings, you should print cards normally. Please don't print the calibration sheet again.

Nick
StephanieM

Postby StephanieM » March 18th, 2008, 11:20 am

This sounds almost like a mechanical problem with the feed in your printer, especially if they're feeding inconsistently. I'm not familiar with the D4160, but some HPs (like my venerable DeskJet 1220C) have a paper thickness control. Some are adjusted under program control (e.g. via a print driver setting for media or paper type); others have a manual lever. Make sure the printer really thinks it's feeding card stock. If you have a manual feed tray you could try that.
beermaker

Postby beermaker » March 18th, 2008, 11:37 am

Hi Nick and Stephanie,

Thanks for the response.

I'm sorry, what do you mean "change the cards location? " And, after I printed the calibration sheet I printed new cards. It was only then that I changed the ignore printer settings and it was still off that I printed another calibration sheet that was about 4mm different than the first. So, how can I start afresh?

I'm assuming that clicking the "ignore printer settings" would ignore the paper settings of the printer.

I'll keep plugging away and would appreciate another response.

Beermaker
Nick

Postby Nick » March 18th, 2008, 12:35 pm

Beermaker,

The "Ignore printer page" option in the preferences may cause no changes at all. Its purpose is different.

Please do this:
1. Draw a rectangle on a blanc card which is fully covers it.
2. Set all the calibration values to 0.
3. Choose File > Print. Then click Next.
4. In the standard Print window click Preview. A paper sheet with multiple (8 or 10) rectangles will be displayed in the Preview.app. Don't close this window.
5. Change the Vertical calibration value to 10.
6. Repeat steps 3 and 4.
7. Compare the content of Preview windows.
With Vertical=10, the rectangles should be 10 mm closer to the top edge of the page.
Is it correct on your computer?

Nick
cobrapilot

Postby cobrapilot » March 18th, 2008, 4:20 pm

Well, I'm back from Holiday and I bought another box of business card stock and I'm right back to where I left off. When I use the Avery business card stock it begins printing at the very top edge of the paper but when I use anything else including a heavy 8 1/2 X 11 colored stock it begins to print where it should. It just doesn't make sense. I have tried everything from the forum above. I have tried the program that I have been using before belight and it works great. I would like to use the belight program because of all the additional features.
Nick

Postby Nick » March 19th, 2008, 5:59 am

Hi,

I think, the problem appears because the printer does not cope well with thick paper. If any of printer owners can compare printing on plain and on thick paper (without perforation and cutting), please do this and tell about the difference.

The input paper tray of HP inkjet printers is located at the same side where the output tray is. This means, a paper sheet turns 180 degrees inside the printer. This may cause a problem when you are using thick paper.

I have looked through the manual of the HP 4100 series. There is no directions about printing on thick paper. In the steps for printing greeting cards you can find the following:
Guidelines
Do not exceed the input tray capacity: 30 postcards.

Prepare to print
1. Raise the output tray, and then remove all paper from the input tray.
2. Slide the paper guide all the way to the left.
3. Place the cards in the right side of the input tray. The side to be printed on should
face down and the short edge should point toward the printer.
4. Push the cards into the printer until they stop.
5. Slide the paper guide firmly against the edge of the cards.

I find important here (1) the limitation for the number of cards loaded into the printer and (2) Step 4. And I would try to load only 1 sheet and push the sheet inside very slightly when the printer begins pulling paper.

Also, make sure that there is no scaling enabled at printing (see File > Page Setup and options in the Print dialog: Layout and Paper Handling). The Presets in the Print dialog should be set to Standard.

Nick
beermaker

Postby beermaker » March 19th, 2008, 12:18 pm

Hi Nick,

I did what you said and the preview did shift the 10mm. I then went for a bike ride and got to thinking about what I was doing wrong. I figured it out. I was not doing the calibration and the printing on the same quality setting. I did my calibration at the normal quality setting and when I did my printing I did it on the best quality setting. When it was not right I was trying to save ink by printing samples on the lesser quality and thats where things started running amuck. I now know that the calibration needs to be at the same quality setting as the card printing quality, i.e. best.

Thanks for all the help and my apologies for the run around.

One question to finish off though. My bottom cards are still about 1mm off and a bit high (I was printing multiple cards, some with coloured borders and some with white borders). Should I just fine tune the scale calibration manually by eyeballing the cards?

Thanks again for the help and the time.

Beermaker
Nick

Postby Nick » March 20th, 2008, 5:15 am

Beermaker,

Bike riding was the way to a real breakthrough ;).
Thanks for the solution! Hope, it will help other users of DC.

To adjust the location of the bottom cards (when the top cards are OK), select the Scale check box in the calibration dialog and input bottom value from the calibration sheet. It stretches/squeezes the print output keeping the location of the top cards unchanged.

Nick

Return to “Business Card Composer”