Some remarks about DC3 Collages/Backgrounds and… SP3

Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » February 20th, 2011, 11:34 am

Hi Nick
I'm just trying DC3, especially Collages and Backgrounds (not necessary new features from v3, yet).
Even if some points seem obscure for me (more about this later) Backgrounds (and maybe Collages, too) seem to be exactly what I've called SP Objects Styles:
http://www.belightsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8995
An easy way to save object(s) with custom defined attributes like Line, Fill Modes, Shadow… !

At first, I tried to save my own Collages but it seems impossible to do that (Am I wrong?) so, I looked at Backgrounds (this name is deceptive).
As one can arrange one or several objects (smart shapes filled or not with images) then save it/them as Backgrounds what the difference(s) between Collages and Backgrounds?

Btw;? here're a few remarks/suggestions that could make them (Collages/Backgrounds) better and easier to use (imho as usual):
- there's no way to name (or rename) Collages/Backgrounds from DC when creating them (it's possible to rename them from Finder, yet)
- to save objects as Backgrounds from a "page" full of other objects, one can't just select some objects then save them as Backgrounds, it seems that one has to delete unwanted objects before
- there's no way to use "Object causes wrap" with grouped objects (not a Collages/Backgrounds "bug" but more surely a Group function one, yet)
- why there's a minimum of 0.4mm for the "Circular Offset" (even with an angle of 0°)?
- maybe an easier way to save custom Collages (if there's a real difference between Collages and Backgrounds) would be to save them as DC documents in the right folder (say ~/Library/Application Support/BeLight Software/Disc Cover/Collages/)
- of course all these features will be welcome in SP3! ;^)
Needless to say you that I'm really eager to see (and use) this so awaited SP3 release. ;^))))
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website
Nick

Postby Nick » February 21st, 2011, 4:36 am

Hi Jean-Jacques,

As one can arrange one or several objects (smart shapes filled or not with images) then save it/them as Backgrounds what the difference(s) between Collages and Backgrounds?

The background is one or several images used for the background of the design. Images in collages have a special attribute that allows the program replace the default images with imported graphics. Select the "Update replaceable text and images at import" check box in the Importing tab of the Preferences and import images from iPhoto (or other supported software).

- there's no way to name (or rename) Collages/Backgrounds from DC when creating them (it's possible to rename them from Finder, yet)

It seems that most of users distinguish the designs visually and don't need to specify names for custom backgrounds and collages.

- there's no way to use "Object causes wrap" with grouped objects (not a Collages/Backgrounds "bug" but more surely a Group function one, yet)

This bug will be fixed.

- why there's a minimum of 0.4mm for the "Circular Offset" (even with an angle of 0°)?

I have no idea. It is still possible to use the edit box for smaller values. This issue is added to the bug list.

Thanks for your comments.

Nick
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » February 21st, 2011, 6:53 am

JJBee wrote:As one can arrange one or several objects (smart shapes filled or not with images) then save it/them as Backgrounds what the difference(s) between Collages and Backgrounds?

Nick wrote:The background is one or several images used for the background of the design. Images in collages have a special attribute that allows the program replace the default images with imported graphics. Select the "Update replaceable text and images at import" check box in the Importing tab of the Preferences and import images from iPhoto (or other supported software).

I can select "Replace Image at Import" when creating a "Background" then drag/drop images from the Finder or from the clipart pane or import images from the "Browse" button of the Inspector the same way I can do this with "Collages".
Note, yet, that this doesn't work with "Insert>Image>From File…" with "Backgrounds" and "Collages" (maybe a desired feature yet)!

JJBee wrote:- there's no way to name (or rename) Collages/Backgrounds from DC when creating them (it's possible to rename them from Finder, yet)

Nick wrote:It seems that most of users distinguish the designs visually and don't need to specify names for custom backgrounds and collages.

"Backgrounds" thumbnails are so small that this is not always easy to see the differences between some nearly identical "Backgrounds". Btw. there's no way to delete "Backgrounds" from DC.

JJBee wrote:- why there's a minimum of 0.4mm for the "Circular Offset" (even with an angle of 0°)?

Nick wrote:I have no idea. It is still possible to use the edit box for smaller values. This issue is added to the bug list.

The edit box doesn't seem to permit values < 0.4mm.

Saying that, "Backgrounds" is a really powerful and time saver feature.
Nick

Postby Nick » February 21st, 2011, 8:13 am

"Insert>Image>From File…" adds the selected image directly. The auto replace feature works only with the content imported using the Source panel.

Renaming and removing backgrounds from the library directly requires to have the possibility to select the thumbnails. Since this is not supported, the users do this using Finder.

Nick
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » February 25th, 2011, 6:17 am

Thanks Nick
Btw., handling, separately, guides (lock/unlock them) is a really nice feature from DC that would be added to SP, too.

Return to “Disc Cover”