Weird behavior of clip art

doddeltje

Postby doddeltje » February 5th, 2011, 7:24 am

I have just bought Disc Cover and am experimenting a bit with it. But I see a weird thing in the clip art window. Only one or a few images appear in the window, and when I change to another category one of the images from the previous category sticks to the new category. So I get a duck that is labeled aquarium and a rhino which is supposed to be a cow. And the proper image does not appear on the design canvas, only the wrong one. This seems to be a bug.
How do I get the proper image?
I found the additional clip art, they were not under a clip art icon in the dmg file, but as two separate links in the email I got after purchase.
I managed to get the clip art images to show in the clip art window of DC by moving the border of the window somewhat until all images are present, but quite often there is one that is wrong, like a double arrow labeled as clematis. Sometimes when you click on it you get the right image (clematis) in your design canvas, but other times it's the wrong one.
Last edited by doddeltje on February 5th, 2011, 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
doddeltje

Postby doddeltje » February 5th, 2011, 10:19 am

It looks like the problem of images in the wrong place sorted itself out when I had installed the extra clip art. The app was probably looking for images that were not there. However, the clip art still only appears when I change the border of the clip art window. Then they start appearing while I move the border to the right and/or back.
Looks good.
Nick

Postby Nick » February 6th, 2011, 3:42 am

Try to re-install Disc Cover. To do this, delete:
/Applications/Disc Cover 3.app
~/Library/Preferences/com.belightsoft.DiscCover3.plist
/Library/Application Support/BeLight Software/ClipArt
Then install the application and see if it works normally. If it doesn't, there is no reason to install the additional clipart.

If the problem hasn't been fixed by re-installation, please give me this info;
1. The version of Disc Cover.
2. The version of Mac OS on your computer.
3. The console log.

To get the log, run Disc Cover and open one clipart category after another to repeat the problem. Open the Console application located in the Applications/Utilities folder. Choose File > Open Console Log, and then File > Save a Copy As. Send the log to support@belightsoft.com with the link to this topic.

Nick
doddeltje

Postby doddeltje » February 6th, 2011, 4:22 am

OK, have done this. But it's still the same. The clip art is not loaded completely, only one or a few items. When I click on an other category in this situation with empty thumbnails, the images that are present will appear in the next category I choose. So the trouble exists only when the clip art window does not load completely, which is the normal situation.
Moving the right border of the clip art window will make the images appear. Scrolling should be slow, otherwise empty thumbnails appear.
I'll send the console log.
Nick

Postby Nick » February 7th, 2011, 4:54 am

Thanks for sending me all details.

Please specify the version of Disc Cover. Click on the Disc Cover menu and choose About Disc Cover. The most recent one is 3.0.1 (v607). If you have any other, you should download the last version.

The log doesn't contain any messages related to the clipart problem. Please send me screen shots of the clipart panel. Create several ones:
- after opening the program;
- after scrolling down the clipart category;
- after opening another clipart category;
- after increasing the width of the clipart panel.

To take a screen shot, press Cmd-Shift-3. The created imaged will be saved on your Desktop.

Nick
doddeltje

Postby doddeltje » February 7th, 2011, 6:06 am

Nick, I have the latest version of Disc Cover, 3.0.1. I'll send some examples.
Sorry if I sent you the wrong console log. I have found lots of references to disccover though in one log. I'll send them to you. I hope they give you the information needed.

Here is part of it:

Feb 5 21:13:24 ......s-iMac Disc Cover 3[1503]: Error Loading: dlopen(/usr/lib/liblightscribe.dylib, 8): image not found
Feb 5 21:13:39 ......s-iMac [0x0-0x105105].com.belightsoft.DiscCover3[1503]: FlateDecode: decoding error: incorrect data check.
Feb 5 21:31:01 ......s-iMac [0x0-0x105105].com.belightsoft.DiscCover3[1503]: objc[1503]: Class CCLicense is implemented in both /Applications/Disc Cover 3.app/Contents/MacOS/Disc Cover 3 and /Applications/Disc Cover 3.app/Contents/PlugIns/CoreImageFilter.bundle/Contents/MacOS/CoreImageFilter. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
Feb 5 21:31:01 ......s-iMac Disc Cover 3[1503]: *** WARNING: Method selectRow:byExtendingSelection: in class NSTableView is deprecated. It will be removed in a future release and should no longer be used.
Feb 6 09:50:53 ..........s-iMac Disc Cover 3[369]: Error Loading: dlopen(/usr/lib/liblightscribe.dylib, 8): image not found
Feb 6 09:58:04 .......s-iMac Disc Cover 3[727]: Error Loading: dlopen(/usr/lib/liblightscribe.dylib, 8): image not found
etc.
Nick

Postby Nick » February 7th, 2011, 8:24 am

Thanks for new logs and screen shots. According to your pictures, the program cannot display the image thumbnails timely. This can happen on slower computers or when you scroll the clipart quickly while many columns of images are displayed.

For a workaround, try to leave only one or two columns of images in the clipart. Don't scroll the clipart too quickly. Probably there are programs on your computer running which use the hard disk intensively (disk utilities, backup software, or copying a large file in Finder). Try to quit them and see if Disc Cover works better.

Nick
doddeltje

Postby doddeltje » February 7th, 2011, 8:47 am

Not changing too often the clip art category is another option.
But this is a new computer, the CPU usage is very low, so I guess it's Disc Cover that stops loading images at certain moments. I don't have other apps running.
I assume Disc Cover loads the complete original images with images and thumbnails, which is time consuming and adding an other category will cause trouble when all images in the previous category have not been loaded in the background. Disc Cover stops loading by itself and only moving the right border of the clip art window will get it to restart loading. The log says that some images cannot be found.
So I guess this is a weak point in the app that needs some tweaking.

And I have a request: could you see to it in a next version that the setting of the size of the canvas image remains set in the last setting? So if I set it at 100% then it would open next time in this same setting.
Thanks for the trouble, Nick.
Last edited by doddeltje on February 7th, 2011, 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Postby Nick » February 7th, 2011, 10:25 am

We are going to improve the clipart panel in one of next updates.

I've added your request to the wish list.

Nick

Return to “Disc Cover”