Disc Cover, Snow Leopard & Epson R800

brendanb76

Postby brendanb76 » January 4th, 2010, 3:58 am

I've been having tremendous trouble of late printing from DC 2.3.2 on the Epson R800 under Snow Leopard.

What is frustrating is that I bought the program not that long ago after problems with Epson Print CD, and it worked fine. But now all I can do is print DVD covers, not labels. Every time I try to print a DVD, I'm met with 'An error has occurred' in the Epson Print Utility. On further inspection, Print Utility tells me it was simply a 'communication error'. As I can print other things (and can now print in Epson Print CD, surprisingly), I'm curious to know what's wrong.

I've followed suggestions here about what to do:

- I wait for the printer to warm up and finish moving the print head and making sounds before opening the cover and moving it into position for the DVD tray.

- In 'Page Setup', I set 'Paper Size' to 'A4 (Manual Feed)', though it never stays on manual feed for long, and I constantly have to change it back (a bug to be fixed?).

- On the final print page, under 'Print Settings' I set it to Print CD/DVD.

I have deleted and reinstalled the Epson drivers countless times, and I still can't print DVD labels, so I'm assuming it's not actually something wrong with the printer or the drivers.

Any further suggestions?

Thanks.

Brendan
Nick

Postby Nick » January 4th, 2010, 9:15 am

Hi Brendan,

- In 'Page Setup', I set 'Paper Size' to 'A4 (Manual Feed)', though it never stays on manual feed for long, and I constantly have to change it back (a bug to be fixed?).

We recommend to install EasyPrint to fix this. The EasyPrint download page:
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supAdvice.jsp?noteoid=48205&type=highlights

In forums, some customers tell that they could print only if the printer was connected using USB.

Epson R800 in our office prints fine. When we installed the printer, the system automatically downloaded and installed the recent driver from Apple's web site. We had nothing more to do.

Nick
brendanb76

Postby brendanb76 » January 5th, 2010, 12:17 am

I (re)installed Easy Print, yet I'm still met with the message 'An error has occurred'. The printer is connected via USB. As far as I know, nothing has changed on my system since the first (successful) time I used Disc Cover.
Nick

Postby Nick » January 5th, 2010, 7:58 am

It seems that you are not alone who has this problem:
http://forums.macworld.com/index.php?/topic/117068-epson-print-cd/

Please check the Summary section in the standard print dialog. Do you have "A4" paper size and "CD/DVD" media type there?

Also make sure that the Presets in the print dialog is set to Standard, and that the correct printer tray is selected (Tray Type 2 is compatible with R800).

Nick
brendanb76

Postby brendanb76 » January 19th, 2010, 3:31 am

Hi Nick,

I've done everything and checked everything you've suggested, and I'm still having problems. I wonder whether I should delete every single reference to Epson on my computer, reinstall the printer, and see what happens.

Brendan
Nick

Postby Nick » January 19th, 2010, 9:48 am

Yes, removing and installing the printer again may help. Try to follow an instruction posted here:
http://www.belightsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8820

Nick
brendanb76

Postby brendanb76 » January 19th, 2010, 5:13 pm

Yep, I did all of what's suggested, and I still can't print. This is particularly frustrating considering I paid for this program, it worked for a week, and now it doesn't; and Epson Print CD, which didn't work, now works.
Nick

Postby Nick » January 20th, 2010, 5:14 am

Do you have error messages? What's there?

Also remember that printing with an Epson printer requires setting the media type to CD/DVD in the standard print dialog. Just for the case, right before opening the Disc Cover print dialog: select Epson tray using the Change Layout button in the Inspector, and choose A4 (CD/DVD) paper format in the Page Setup dialog (File > Page Setup).

Nick
brendanb76

Postby brendanb76 » January 21st, 2010, 2:56 am

I don't have an option for 'A4 (CD/DVD)'.

The error message simply says 'An error has occurred', and when I dig deeper, it says it's a communication error. Is that useful at all?

. I don't know whether it's a problem with DiscCover or the printer, as Epson Print CD now works.
Nick

Postby Nick » January 21st, 2010, 4:16 am

A new idea.
In the system Print dialog, choose the Paper Handling section. Select the "Scale to fit paper size" check box. Then select "A4 manual Feed" in the "Destination paper size" drop-down menu.

Nick
brendanb76

Postby brendanb76 » January 21st, 2010, 5:01 am

Nick, you'll be glad to know that it worked! So now I know what to do every time I endeavour to print a DVD label. Thanks for all your support and patience!

Brendan
brendanb76

Postby brendanb76 » January 21st, 2010, 5:27 am

The only thing now is to get the colours to reproduce better, as the discs are coming out lacking a certain vibrance.
brendanb76

Postby brendanb76 » January 21st, 2010, 5:37 am

Disregard that last message, as I increased the saturation and it looked better.
clinganhome

Postby clinganhome » May 10th, 2010, 11:25 pm

My DVD's are finally printing but they are still too light. I increased the brightness and saturation but it didn't make them as good as they were before Snow Leopard.

Please help!! I have not been able to print good DVD's for a long time.
Nick

Postby Nick » May 11th, 2010, 2:57 am

Hi clinganhome,

Check the settings in the standard print dialog.
1. Set Presets to Standard.
2. Verify the color settings.
3. Set the printing quality to best.

Nick

Return to “Disc Cover”