Does Disc Cover print direct to DVD tray on an HP 5280 Photo

ergow

Postby ergow » October 17th, 2009, 10:22 pm

Before I buy Disc Cover, I want to make sure it will work with my printer, an HP 5280 Photosmart. I'm using Mac OS X 10.4.11. I recently bought another product (The Print Shop) because it would supposedly print directly to the DVD tray on this printer, but it doesn't. I don't want to get burned again, so would someone please confirm that Disc Cover will do the job? Thanks.
Nick

Postby Nick » October 18th, 2009, 2:43 am

Hi ergow,

Disc Cover supports HP 5280. To be sure, you can try printing using the demo version:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/belightsoft/DiscCover.dmg

Please note that for successful direct-on-CD printing, you should select the corresponding layout. To do this in the Disc Cover print dialog, click the Select Format button. The list of paper and tray layouts will open. Set the Manufacturer, Element and Size drop-down menus to "All". Type "5280" into the search box and click OK. Proceed with printing.

Nick
ergow

Postby ergow » October 20th, 2009, 3:51 pm

Thanks for the info, Nick. I downloaded the trial version and had the same problem with Disc Cover as I had with Print Shop. Even after following instructions to the letter, I keep getting an error message on the printer saying that the CD/DVD tray is open. Since the same error shows up with different apps, that suggests that the problem is with the printer or the HP software, not the application. Oh, well, at least that narrows it down. Thanks.
Nick

Postby Nick » October 21st, 2009, 3:43 am

Check the printer's manual. There must be instructions on how to prepare the printer for printing on discs. Some printers require following certain steps (for example, turn the printer on, wait till it is ready, then install the CD/DVD tray).

The printer manufacturers usually provide a CD/DVD printing utility. If it doesn't print too, there may be something wrong with the hardware or printer driver.

Nick
Grant

Postby Grant » January 7th, 2010, 12:14 am

Nick, Grant here in Washington DC.

I am having the identical problem as the user logged in as ergow, except that this happens to be the HP Photosmart C5580 printer.

I've gone through the steps you suggested, and scoured HP's instructions/help notes, to no avail. There is something I am missing here. I have had the printer work once or twice in the past, great DVD printing results, but cannot repeat my former success.

Should I just continue cycling equipment up and down, hoping for a solution, or is there any other way to get past this perpetual 'CD/DVD tray open' message?

I see on some forums (searching right across the web and other label printing apps) that there are some suggestions that the HP software (Photosmart Studio) needs to be engaged at some level... other forums suggesting that you'll need to export the print file from the label print software and then into the Photosmart software. This all sounds pretty ugly and confusing.

In my case : using : Mac OS 10.5.8, HP Photosmart C5580, MacBook Pro2,1. Currently attempting print via bluetooth, have also tried via USB.
Nick

Postby Nick » January 7th, 2010, 6:08 am

Hi Grant,

The 'CD/DVD tray open' message is often displayed:
- When the CD/DVD tray was inserted before turning the printer on, or too early after turning on. In both cases the tray may prevent a printer from "warming up".
- While the tray is inserted, printing on paper is selected in the print settings.

What to check (briefly):
- The appropriate tray is selected.
- In the standard print dialog, the Presets is set to Standard.
- In the standard print dialog, the media type should be CD/DVD (I don't have HP driver to verify this right now).
- Choose PDF > Open PDF in Preview in the standard print dialog. The Preview application will display your label. Press Cmd-I. The page size in the Info panel should be 5.12 x 5.12 in.

Nick
Grant

Postby Grant » January 7th, 2010, 10:27 pm

Nick, you have a happy customer here! The missing link for me was that the CD/DVD holder should NOT be inserted until after the printer cycled up.

I did this :

1. Removed CD/DVD holder
2. Powered machine down and up again
3. Sent print job (from Disc Cover 2, Photosmart software not running) to printer
4. Saw a 'media loading' message on the printer's LCD screen
5. I inserted the loaded CD/DVD tray, and the machine pulled it right in from my hand, and began the print job.

Thank you again. HP should be sending you a congratulatory message for supplying the information they don't (or if they do supply it, I have no logical way of finding it).

Ergow and I have been exchanging emails offline, and I will share this intel now.

Grant.

Return to “Disc Cover”