Microboards MX2 Support

ABrooks

Postby ABrooks » October 5th, 2009, 2:19 pm

When will this become an option, right now I can use the GX configuration and move the image around to make it so I can print plain text in the center of the disc, but if I attempt to do full color on a disc like this it ends up chopping off the right side and the top (because I have to move it that way for it to print in the center) as if they're just the edge of a piece of paper. Is there any way that this can be corrected easily with a template or is there a template I can alter to make this print properly on the MX2 series? Thanks for your help
Nick

Postby Nick » October 6th, 2009, 4:08 am

Hi ABrooks,

To have the printed label centered, you should select Microboards CD/DVD layout and then run the calibration procedure.

To select your printer in the list, open the Design Element tab of Inspector (Cmd-1) and click the Change Layout button.

To start calibration, select File > Calibrate Printer in the menu.

Nick
ABrooks

Postby ABrooks » October 6th, 2009, 7:38 am

I did that, and that's the problem, when I move it over during the calibration part, is when it cuts off the top and right sides of my image, but through the software provided by Microboards which is what we normally use, it prints perfectly...well as close to perfect as you can get it.
Nick

Postby Nick » October 7th, 2009, 3:51 am

Leave the calibration at the position where the text is centered. It's more probable that there is something wrong with graphics.

What versions of Disc Cover and Mac OS do you have? To see the version number of Disc Cover, select "Disc Cover > About Disc Cover" in its menu. To find out the version of the operating system, click on the Apple menu and select "About This Mac".

Please try this:

1. See how your label looks in the preview. In the standard print dialog, click the Preview button. Is it displayed correctly? If yes, try to print from the Preview.

2. Check Disc Cover with a template document. In the Assistant, select All in the category selector and choose the "Abstract Vision" template. It is the first in the list. Will the problem repeat when you open the document in preview, and when you print it?
If no, please send your document to support@belightsoft.com - I'll try to find out what is wrong with it.
If the problem repeats, follow the next steps.

3. In the Disc Cover print dialog, select the "Print as Raster Image" check box and set Bleeds to 0. Check your document in the standard print preview, and if it's okay print it.

Nick
ABrooks

Postby ABrooks » October 7th, 2009, 7:14 am

Disc Cover 2.3.1
Mac OS 10.5.7

1.) The Preview looks like this

2.) the image should explain exactly what it looks like.

3.) I haven't tried print as raster yet, simply because I think my problem is something more basic than that that can be fixed once you see the image of what's going on.
Nick

Postby Nick » October 7th, 2009, 8:16 am

You can see that:
1. The problem arises before Disc Cover sends anything to the printer. It seems that the tray layout is smaller than the label.
2. In the name of the selected tray there is "copy" in the end.

Probably you have created a copy of the standard tray layout and changed its size. Click the Select Format button. Make sure that the Predefined section is selected at the top of the dialog. Then select "Microboards CD/DVD (CD Tray)".

Nick
ABrooks

Postby ABrooks » October 7th, 2009, 8:25 am

This is Correct, I saved a copy where it would print centered, when I don't move the printable area via the printer calibration tab, then it prints off and to the left. So my image ends up being too far down, and too far left to print on the disc itself. The printer is aligned properly in it's settings to print with the Microboards software. I have no problem printing with it, it's only Disc Cover.

I would show you an image of what it looks like when I print it with it all centered up, but you'd just tell me to go into the printer calibration tab and adjust it, and when I do, this is what turns up.
Nick

Postby Nick » October 7th, 2009, 9:25 am

You didn't tell me before that you used a non-standard tray layout.
Let's begin from scratch. As far as I understand, the label is printed too far to the left and to the bottom. We'll try to fix the problem by creation of a new layout. The calibration feature will not be used.

1. Set the calibration values to zeros.

2. Select "Microboards CD/DVD (CD Tray)" in the paper/tray list and click the Customize button.

3. In the layout editor, we should increase the size of the layout. It is necessary because if you move the disc out of center, a part of the disc will be outside the layout.

Let's say the label should be moved 5 mm upwards and 5 mm to the right.
The new size (width and height) should be: 120mm+5mm+5mm=130mm
The margin was added to both sides.

There is a chance to find out the correct layout size. Select File > Page Setup (Cmd-Shift-P). In the Paper Size drop-down list try to find a format related to the Microboards printer. If it exists, select it. Its size will be displayed below the drop-down. Use these dimensions in the layout editor.

4. Move the disc to the center of the new layout. In my example, the position will be: X=5mm, Y=5mm

Nick
ABrooks

Postby ABrooks » October 8th, 2009, 10:41 am

I am happy with my result, I don't know if I followed your instructions exactly seeing as I could not increase the size of the layout by a Customize button, I didn't see that anywhere, but I've fooled around with the settings using a completely different tray because what I noticed is the microboards tray isn't even the full size of a DVD to start out with, it is 4.76 or something like that when it should be 5.12, I'm not sure if this was corrected in later releases as I have not updated my DiscCover program yet, but I'm happy with the way it is working now. Thanks for your help and this problem is solved! At least for now!
Nick

Postby Nick » October 9th, 2009, 6:03 am

We'll check the size of the Microboards tray template. Thanks for information.

Nick
ABrooks

Postby ABrooks » October 16th, 2009, 8:24 am

Did you notice anything in that? I'm having success now with an alternate template that is working perfectly, so if anyone is having this problem I can show them.
Nick

Postby Nick » October 16th, 2009, 9:21 am

For other users who may have the same problem, you can give the name of the template that you used.

Nick
ABrooks

Postby ABrooks » October 16th, 2009, 3:32 pm

I just used the HP CD tray and it works fine. The Microboards one is for the GX series, so I guess that's part of the problem. But I was able to use the HP CD tray and then calibrate the printer and get it set where it prints perfectly! I was really pleased to see that I could finally print something other than text on plain white.

Return to “Disc Cover”