Is there some kind of file size limitation for covers and la

HappyWanderer

Postby HappyWanderer » August 12th, 2006, 6:18 am

Hi! I just purchased Disc Cover this week and I really enjoy using it. The problem, however, is that some labels/covers will immediately go from the calibration to the printing stage while others . . .

Well, after 15-20 minutes of waiting I just give up.

Frankly, I'm not sure what's going on. I can print calibrations just fine so it's not a connection issue per se. But once I okay the calibration settings and hit NEXT, it may immediately go to the printer dialog box or it may just pinwheel-spool until I get impatient with it. Force quitting and rebooting the computer doesn't seem to help either. Nor does running the application without any others open.

So I was wondering if there is some kind of file-size limitation that is eating up the application memory. The files don't look big to me personally (between 324KB and 3.5MB) but I'm only starting out this week on the program.

If it's a memory issue itself, is there a way to increase the allocation? I'm working on a eMac with OS 10.3.9 and printing to an HP Deskjet 5150.

Thanks for any help you can provide. It's a bummer to create absolutely beautiful disks and labels (if I do say so myself) and have no way of printing some of them!

HW
Nick

Postby Nick » August 14th, 2006, 3:52 am

Hi,

I experimented with a document that had 8 photos. The document's size was 15.8 MB. Printing (as well as calibration) took about 10-12 minutes. The time depends on amount of free memory in your system (I have 512 MB) and on processor speed.
If some specific design slows down calibration, you can send it to us to test on our computers.

The fact is, you should not calibrate your printer every time you want to print. It is enough to do this once if you use the same printer and the same paper sort.

Nick
HappyWanderer

Postby HappyWanderer » August 14th, 2006, 4:30 am

Hi! Thanks for the response. I did some more experimenting myself -- re-building the disk covers and labels from the ground floor and testing each step along the way.

It turns out the problem is solely isolated to the drop shadow text. The greater the blur amount and distance from the text, the more likely the gliche at the printing stage. To get a good mist around some logos I had the intensity set to about 14 and 82 respectively. Too much for my machine. I dropped the amounts down to about 3 and 10 and every single time the disc or label immediately popped up to print.

I also found that when I had the blurs set for 2 separate angles on the same file (such as 0° and 180°) that likewise could tie up the printing configuration. Not indefinitely but certainly longer per file (say several minutes rather than several seconds).

Anyway, again my thanks for replying. I still love the program -- especially now that I can print all my materials. But I did want to pass along the above in case it's a general bug within the application or just a goofy nuance with my machine.

Denny
Nick

Postby Nick » August 14th, 2006, 5:19 am

Thanks for details.

Our software had a problem with printing shadow that has the blur parameter greater than 10-15. In the last version (v1.1) it is fixed. Please check the version of your Disc Cover copy.

The Update page of Disc Cover:
http://www.belightsoft.com/disccover/update/update.php

Nick
HappyWanderer

Postby HappyWanderer » August 14th, 2006, 5:47 am

Thank you for this notification. The version I bought from my Apple store last week appears to be v1.0.5. I have downloaded the update from the link you provided and will let you know if the problem reoccurs on future projects.

Denny

Return to “Disc Cover”