How do I format a square picture to round disk?

jcroentgen

Postby jcroentgen » August 4th, 2006, 11:34 am

I imported an image but for the life of me can't figure out how to make it fit the disk cover. I would think this is pretty basic but can't seem to find any help on it.

Many Thanks
FlashX1

Postby FlashX1 » August 4th, 2006, 1:23 pm

Amen to that! It seems every discl-labeling application seems to overlook this instruction.
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » August 4th, 2006, 1:47 pm

Hi,
If you're talking about the gray parts of your image outside the round disk label, don't worry ;^)
It's automatically fitted when printing.
But, if you want to export your document, don't use… File>Export… :^(
Use File>Print>PDF>Save as PDF… or File>Print>Preview.
Hope this helps.
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website
FlashX1

Postby FlashX1 » August 4th, 2006, 4:51 pm

I can't speak for jcroentgen, but what I am talking about is "warping" a square image onto a round CD. For example: artowrk that is scanned or copied from Amazon is square and usually larger than the CD outline. Is there a way to transform the square image into a round one that matches the CD dimensions? Otherwise, I wind up scaling the immage down to fit within the CD, leaving white space.
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » August 4th, 2006, 5:22 pm

Hi,
To obtain this result

I insert an (180 mm x 120 mm) image then resize it to 210 mm x 140 mm (because some parts of this image are transparent) using Inspector>Geometry>Size (Fix aspect ratio checked).
Next, I adjust its position on the cd label.
To get a file from this, I use File>Print>Preview then save the file as pdf/tiff/jpeg…
or I use File>Print>PDF>Save as PDF…
Of course, some parts of the original image are lost as this image is rectangular/square and the label is round.
Hope this helps.
Last edited by Jean-Jacques Boutaud on August 4th, 2006, 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website
Nick

Postby Nick » August 7th, 2006, 3:29 am

Hi,

I like the method suggested by Jean-Jacques and want to add just a few steps to it.
When the disc image is in Disc Cover, double click it to bring up the Edit Image window. Using the Crop tool cut off the unnecessary white border from the image.
Then fit the image to disc size via the Inspector > Geometry. Set any size to 120 - 123 mm ("Fix aspect ratio" must be set).
At last, center the image using menu commands: Format > Move to Center (Horizontally / Vertically) or via Inspector > Alignment > Move To.

Why Disc Cover cannot fit a disc image automatically?
Scanned or taken from the Internet images bring uncertainty: they may have border of unknown width on all or several sides. Removing the border is non-trivial task for the software and have to be done by hands.
FlashX1

Postby FlashX1 » August 7th, 2006, 12:21 pm

Thanks for the tips.

While I understand why Disc Cover doesn't do it "automatically", a an optional command to do it would be a welcome addition. A square image can be edited, then transformed to conform to the CD shape.
aussie141

Postby aussie141 » August 27th, 2006, 6:56 am

I also like the potential of "mask image" [Inspector>image] in this respect. Yes, you will lose some of your pic and you can't use it to warp an image, but you can use it to blur a square or rectangular image to go nicely onto a round CD. Line up your square image overlapping the edges of the CD outline, and apply different shapes of mask till you find a suitable one.

Peter

Return to “Disc Cover”