Epson R1800 - finally working, obvious suggestion

frankfurter

Postby frankfurter » December 31st, 2007, 4:56 pm

I got Disc Cover RE with Toast - figuring it can't be worse than Epson Print CD, I wanted to give it a whirl.

After a few hours of cussing and clicking, I followed some steps I gathered from this forum. I FINALLY got it working. A wonderful program, and basically makes Epson Print CD look silly. I've always hated that piece of cr4p, and finally have something much better to use.

BUT.

PLEASE. Simplify your print process. Judging from many of the posts, there seems to be a lot of confusion about how to actually print. What seems obvious is unintuitive and clunky in Disc Cover.

I have to set the paper type in FOUR places. Once in the Design Elements window, again in Page Setup of Disc Cover, once in the print dialogue of Disc Cover, then again in the system dialogue boxes. This is nuts! And to make it worse, the settings aren't retained each time you start the program. While I'll be able to figure it out each time, my wife will hate it. Or anyone else who doesn't want to remember all the setup just to print a disc.

I'm sure there's some kind of logical explanation, or something to do with the design of the app vs. OSX, I really don't care. Of course, it's free, so I shouldn't complain anyway, but you're steps away from a fantastic product, but the print stuff.....yuck.

Sorry. Had to vent.

Frank
Last edited by frankfurter on December 31st, 2007, 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Postby Nick » January 2nd, 2008, 5:26 am

There are three (not four) places where you make settings.

In the Page Setup dialog you choose paper format. This setting is requirement of the printer manufacturer (Epson) and is usually mentioned in the User's Guide of the printer.

Selecting a tray template for a design element is a way for the user to tell the program what kind of label you want to print. It is necessary, because this is the only way to choose large or small hole size.

In the system print dialog, you set the media type, what tells the printer driver which tray to activate: paper or CD/DVD.

Nick
frankfurter

Postby frankfurter » January 2nd, 2008, 10:14 pm

3, 4, whatever. My point is, you should at least retain last settings, rather than making the user go through a series of checks each time they launch the program.

Reading the forums should make you aware of the obvious - the program needs some refinement in the printing process.
Nick

Postby Nick » January 3rd, 2008, 6:33 am

We will consider your opinion.

Nick
jryberg

Postby jryberg » November 2nd, 2009, 11:20 am

I am looking at a previous successful small-hole DVD label I made with Disc Cover2.
I CANNOT FIND THE SMALL-HOLE FORMAT AGAIN. CAN'T FIND IT. I NEED TO GET THIS DONE TODAY. I AGREE, GREAT PROGRAM, BUT THIS SMALL HOLE FORMAT MUST BE PRETTY COMMON NOW, AND IT SHOULD BE EASIER TO SET UP.
I DON'T KNOW HOW TO PHONE YOU, SO I JUST HAVE TO LOOK AROUND UNTIL I FIND SOMEONE WHO CAN TELL ME HOW TO FIND THIS.
I DON'T SEE "FULL COVERAGE" ANYWHERE, BY THE WAY.
Nick

Postby Nick » November 3rd, 2009, 4:51 am

Return to “Disc Cover”