Help: Direct CD Printing on the Epson RX580

haivu

Postby haivu » November 2nd, 2006, 3:14 am

Hello everyone,
I just purchased the Epson RX580 and was frustrated that I could not print directly to the CD. Epson's own CD labeling software can print just fine, but the software leaves much to be desired.

For short, I am not able to select the CD/DVD as media type to print. Here are what I did:

1. Design the CD label
2. File > Print
3. Click the "Select Format" at the top
4. Make the following adjustments:
Manufacturer: Epson (CD Tray)
Element: All
Size: CD-R Tray
Paper Name: Epson RX700 Full Coverage (CD Tray)
Click OK to submit the changes
5. Click Next to bring up the print settings dialog
6. Select "Print Settings"
7. Drop down the "Media Type"

Resut: The "CD/DVD" choice is grayed out (disable).
Expect: I should be able to select this choice to print directly onto the CD

If you have successfully done this before, please help me. Thank you.
- Hai
haivu

Postby haivu » November 2nd, 2006, 3:15 am

FYI, the following is a screen capture of what I saw after step 7:
Last edited by haivu on November 2nd, 2006, 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Postby Nick » November 2nd, 2006, 6:00 am

Hi,
Important steps to print on CD:

1. Turn on the printer and let it to complete initialization.
2. Choose printer model from the paper list: Inspector -> Design Element tab -> Change Paper for the disc label design you want to print. Selecting should be done before you go to printing.
3. Open the Page Setup dialog (File -> Page Setup) and select paper format (required in printer manual) in the Paper Size drop-down list. Usually this is "A4 (CD/DVD)" - depends on the installed printer driver.
4. Open the Print dialog (File > Print) when you are ready to print. Make all necessary changes, but do not change paper.
5. Click Next. In the system print dialog open the Copies & Pages drop-down list, select Print Settings and set Media Type to CD/DVD.
It was once reported that selection "CD/DVD premium" worked but "CD/DVD" didn't.

Your screenshot shows that you missed step 3.

Direct printing on CD was also discussed in other topic:
http://www.belightsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=72

If you manage to print but the picture is outside the disc, let me know, I'll provide you with further steps.

Nick
haivu

Postby haivu » November 2nd, 2006, 2:02 pm

Thank you, Nick. Your direction was spot on. I am a happy camper now.
robpaterson

Postby robpaterson » September 8th, 2007, 12:17 pm

Hi,

Thanks... These directions worked perfectly using the RX580 and a Mac G5 running OS 10.4.10, However, there were a few details that threw me at first before I figured them out:

For the Change Paper settings, I used:

CD-R Tray C
Epson RX580 (CD Tray)

Note: I didn't choose "Full Coverage" since I am using regular CDs with the large center.

In Page Setup, I had to choose A4 (a little strange for us backward U.S. users). I didn't try A4 Full Coverage. Here's what's confusing: A4 is NOT the size of the CD Tray or the CD, but it's what my printer responded to. This is strange: the printer driver should have a setting for the CD Tray that this software can see. I didn't have to change any of the callibration settings.

When I went to print (Apple-P), I chose Output Direct to CD/DVD. NOTE: the paper size you see will NOT look like it does in the awful software that comes with the Epson printer. It will look like the CD is printing on an A4 sheet, but it should print correctly on the CD, or at least it did for me.

Lastly, I didn't need to use the "Premium" setting either.
Last edited by robpaterson on September 8th, 2007, 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Postby Nick » September 10th, 2007, 4:20 am

Hi robpaterson,

Thanks for your notes. By some reason, printer manufacturers may set tray format that does not coincide the actual size of the tray.

For Epson, A4 or A4 (CD/DVD) is commonly used.
Canon has several tray types: Tray B, Tray C, Tray D and Tray F. The actual tray size is close to what is set in the printer driver.
HP uses square-shaped format with small margins.

Nick
Nick

Postby Nick » September 21st, 2010, 9:49 am

Hi Naili,

Try to set the "Destination Paper Size" to A4 (Manual Feed) in the system print dialog. A screenshot of this dialog is in post #10 here:
http://www.belightsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9092

Make sure that you have the latest version of the printer driver. Also we recommend to install the Epson EasyPrint software. This allows Disc Cover make most print settings automatically.

Nick
ralleydesew

Postby ralleydesew » February 18th, 2011, 9:50 am

There are false rumors circulating that the Epson R series may not make directly to print a CD with the Epson supplied software. The truth is quite different CD labeling program that has the correct coordinates for the R series printers - and they are all the same - may print on a CD or DVD if you set the appropriate settings in the dialogs printer.
Last edited by ralleydesew on February 18th, 2011, 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Disc Cover”