[Solved]CD/DVD Directprint with NEW Pixma IP7250 not working

Frederic

[Solved]CD/DVD Directprint with NEW Pixma IP7250 not working

Postby Frederic » October 12th, 2014, 5:09 am

I bought a new Canon iP7250 and tried to use Disc Cover for Mac (3.0.10) for direct print on CD/DVD. But it does not work - the Tray J is not 'regognized/accepted'. I always get an error message that the front tray is open - which I need to shut. Always wants to use paper-tray instead. FYI: If I close front tray - print starts with paper from "standard" tray.

Mac OSX 10.9.5
Canon Printer Driver for ip7200 series: V 11.7.1.0
iP 7250 Firmware: V 1.101

Firmware seems to be extremely new - as on Canon webpage they currently offer firmware updates to 1.070 only.

Any ideas, how we can solve this?
Last edited by Frederic on October 13th, 2014, 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Re: CD/DVD Directprint with NEW Pixma IP7250 not working

Postby Nick » October 13th, 2014, 4:16 am

Hi Frederic,

Try to follow the printing procedure from this page:
http://www.belightsoft.com/products/disccover/DCHelp/print_disc.html
Additionally in the system Print dialog, set Presets to Default Settings if you have selected there anything else.

Also, your printer Manual must explain how to prepare your printer for printing on CD/DVD. See if there are some extra steps to do.

Nick
Frederic

Re: CD/DVD Directprint with NEW Pixma IP7250 not working

Postby Frederic » October 13th, 2014, 11:24 am

Hi Nick,

that works perfectly! Thank you for your quick help on this.

Frederic.
peterharris

Re: [Solved]CD/DVD Directprint with NEW Pixma IP7250 not wor

Postby peterharris » October 15th, 2014, 5:57 pm

Hi Nick (if you pick this one up too, that is),

I am experiencing exactly the same. Brand new Canon ip7250. Prints everything, wirelessly, except direct to CDs.

Have updated the printer driver from Canon website as I am running OS 9.5, but in the print dialogue, although it recognises the printer itself and the Canon type J CD Tray, it does not give Printable Disc as an option within the Media Type drop-down, only Envelope, Photo or Plain Paper.

I have tried loading the CD tray with a printable CD and placing it in the drawer but on the final print command it just throws up a 'Check the printer for errors' message in a Print Queue window with the progress bar at one third.

I cannot open the Canon OnScreen Manual for some reason although it appears to have downloaded successfully. The icon appears in the Dock with a ? over it. I will have to speak to them about it.

In the meantime if you have any suggestions they'd be very welcome.

Thanks PeterH
dwartz farquhartz

Postby dwartz farquhartz » October 15th, 2014, 9:02 pm

I'm having the same problems with a new Pixma MG7250. I'm a long time Disc Cover user, just upgraded to DC3, and so far I'm not able to use it. When I open the presets page, I'm not given any options to change any settings. I can click on Media, but nothing happens. It shows plain paper but there's no way to change any settings.
Nick

Postby Nick » October 16th, 2014, 4:54 am

Peter:

Many printer models cannot print on discs wirelessly. Connect your printer using the USB cable and try to print on a CD.

dwartz farquhartz:

Did you mean that settings in the system Print dialog were grayed out, or you couldn't use them by some other reason? The presets page you mentioned is in the Print dialog, right?

The Media popup list usually displays many paper options and, if supported, CD/DVD. If you have only Plain paper there, maybe:
- Your printer is connected to the computer over WiFi or Ethernet. Try to use the USB cable.
- There is no any driver compatible with your printer installed on your computer. In such cases, the operating system can use some generic driver which provides only basic printing options. Then you need to install the driver.
- You haven't selected the proper CD Tray in your document what can disable the CD/DVD printing option. Since you are an experienced user, I guess this is not the case.
- Just in case you have several printers installed, make sure the proper one is selected in the Print dialog.

As a rule, the list of available media is the same in different programs. Try to open TextEdit or any other program capable to print text or images, and check what you have in the Media list. Also it can be helpful to run Canon's disc printing software. It may tell you if there is a problem with the printer driver.

Nick
peterharris

Postby peterharris » October 16th, 2014, 10:40 am

Thanks Nick,

Oh and thanks Canon for making no mention whatsoever that you cannot print CDs wirelessly!!!! Why ever not?

Anyway, having connected via USB, it's true, a whole set of different Media options become available, including Printable disc etc.. However (there is always a however isn't there ?) the final print warning command tells you not to load the CD until prompted. So I have waited and waited but no prompt appears. Perhaps because the printer's orange warning light has started flashing again. There is no message to say why it is flashing or what to do next.

So I am sitting here tearing my hair out and about to throw the whole thing back at Canon, unless of course you can shed any light.

Grateful for your help as always.

Best wishes PeterH
dwartz farquhartz

Postby dwartz farquhartz » October 16th, 2014, 6:31 pm

Nick:

Thanks for the help. I tried Text Edit and I have the same problem - I can't seem to edit the settings. I've ordered a really long USB cable to reach the printer - we'll see if that works.
Nick

Postby Nick » October 17th, 2014, 6:38 am

Peter,

Check the printer manual for details on printer states. Some models require that you install the CD tray exactly to match its arrow with one on the printer.

Nick
dwartz farquhartz

Postby dwartz farquhartz » October 18th, 2014, 6:34 pm

After much hair-pulling and gnashing of teeth, I successfully printed to a disc. I did have to connect via USB - I do not get these options via wi-fi:

When the print dialogue appears, you make sure the settings are correct (print direct to disc, printer, and J-tray). After clicking enter, you get the apple print dialogue. Look for the "show details" button. Then click on the layout button and change it to "quality and media." Change to "printable disc - recommended" and all is good. The printer will tell you when to open the output door and insert the tray. Voila!
peterharris

Postby peterharris » October 19th, 2014, 1:01 pm

Thank you Nick and Dwartz.

Finally I have printed a CD! So, very happy! Also with quality etc., but what a struggle to get there. I suppose I was spoilt somewhat by my earlier model MP800 which had an LCD window that displayed useful prompts such as "there is no CD tray present. Please load CD tray and press OK" . With this model (ip7250) all you get is a blinking orange lamp. No suggestion whatever that all you have to do is just press the …… orange flashing button! So no marks to Canon. As for the Manual, how do you actually read it? I have it on my computer but it refuses to open, even the updated OS9 version. I merely get a pop-up box with the message "- can't find the driver".

I shall soon have no hair left!

I shall be copying this whole thread to Canon . . .

We'll see.

Anyways thanks to Belight and all for sorting this out.

Best wishes

PeterH
Nick

Postby Nick » October 20th, 2014, 5:26 am

Peter,

I didn't read the manual. Canon's website offers "iP7200 series User Manual (OS X 10.6/10.7/10.8)" with release date 19 April 2013. It must be newer than the copy you have.

Nick
Barbu_chanteur

Postby Barbu_chanteur » December 4th, 2014, 11:00 pm

I own a Canon MG7120 and I also found that since my software update to Yosemite, I can no longer print wirelessly to the CD tray. Happily, the printer is just beside my iMac.
I am very disappointed of the answer from Canon because they pitched the ball to Belight Software without taking the time to analyze the situation.
mcaswell

Postby mcaswell » December 16th, 2014, 4:48 pm

I was dismayed to discover (no pun intended) that I could not print CDs/DVDs when using a wireless connection, and was on the verge of returning this printer (my printers are not located near my computer, so a direct USB connection was not a good solution). But I did a little fiddling around and solved the problem.

This is with a Canon MG7520, but the same observations may also apply to other Canon models.

I noticed that when I looked at the printer in the Printers & Scanners PrefPane, it listed "Kind: Canon MG7500 series-AirPrint". It occurred to me that perhaps my Mac was using a simplified AirPrint driver (intended for printing from iPads, etc.), which could explain why the CD print option was not there (since presumably no one would be printing CDs from their iOS device).

I deleted the printer, and then downloaded/installed the drivers from Canon's site (not sure if this step was necessary or not... the drivers may have already been there as part of the OS, but just not utilized). When I clicked on the + sign to re-add it, I selected it from the Nearby Printers list that pops up under the + sign, and noticed that it again was using the AirPrint driver.

I again deleted it, but this time when I added it, I didn't use the Nearby Printers list, instead choosing Add Printer or Scanner. It again chose the AirPrint driver, but I was able to select the correct driver (Canon MG7500 series) in the "Use:" pop-up menu.

Once I did this, I was able to print CDs wirelessly.

Hope this helps!
Nick

Postby Nick » December 17th, 2014, 6:26 am

Hi mcaswell,

Thank you for your solution!

Nick

Return to “Disc Cover”