BluRay labels misaligned - tried calibrating

timothevs

Postby timothevs » April 2nd, 2014, 11:36 am

I am a bit unclear about printing with DC3.

I have a type K Canon DVD print tray for Pixma Pro 100. I created some cover art for my family video BluRay and tried to print it after calibrating.

However, the prints are skewed despite my best efforts to calibrate the printer in DC3. The entire label seems to be shifted up.

I am not sure where the problem lies. Maybe I should be measuring the printable area of the disc precisely instead of relying on the standard measure of the Disc in the inspector pane.

Another issue - I am not sure what purpose 'margins' serve in the app. I would assume any graphics outside the margin would not print. But that seems to not be the case.

Additionally, snapping a graphic to the edge of the disc is not a problem, but trying to snap it to the margin is an exercise in futility. Do you recommend snapping a picture to the edge of the disc or the margin area in the preview mode?

Thanks for your help!
Nick

Postby Nick » April 3rd, 2014, 2:53 am

Hi

Calibration:
Did you select the same CD/DVD tray type, print quality, and Presets option in the print dialog for calibration and final printing?

The size of the printable area can influence measurements when there is a large gap between the printable coating and disc edge. You can correct the offset manually. Measure how far the printed label is off center, and increase or decrease the corresponding calibration value.

If you still keep a disc used for calibration, you can reuse it to check if the corrected calibration values give a good result.

Margins:
Margins work as guidelines. They don't crop your label content. The disc edge does this. You can change the inner and outer disc diameters in the Inspector.

Objects don't snap to circular margins. You can only align objects to the margins manually, or add a regular guide to to some point and snap an object to it.

Nick
timothevs

Postby timothevs » April 3rd, 2014, 10:15 am

Nick, thank you for responding. By trial and error I've managed to figure it out almost. My mistake had been assuming that I could just use the standard settings in the Inspector pane. I have had to tweak them a lot.

Secondly, after reading your margins explanation, I've eliminated those from the design view (as they were rather confusing), and I changed the size of the disc to 118.2mm and 23mm, and this by far has given me the best disc output. It does leave a white space of width 0.9mm around the periphery (as expected).

I figure that I can get a closer to edge print if I set the value a bit higher (ideally to 119.5 which is the printable area on the disc). However, I am unable to set the disc width to a value other than 120, 118.2 or 116.5.

Any tips on how I may improve my workflow?
Nick

Postby Nick » April 4th, 2014, 2:22 am

You can customize the Inner and Outer Diameter values in the Inspector, and save them as a custom preset.

Nick
timothevs

Postby timothevs » April 4th, 2014, 9:22 am

Actually, it is only possible to change them in increments of 1.8mm when it comes to the width of the disc. If I try anything other than 118.2 (say 119) the box won't allow me to apply the changes. Anything I am doing wrong here?
Nick

Postby Nick » April 7th, 2014, 2:47 am

Hi

I apologize for this bug. It appears that the disc size fields in the Inspector don't let you input the desired value if the measurement units is not inches. Try to set inches in the Preferences, restart the program, and input the disc size converted to this measurement unit.

Nick
timothevs

Postby timothevs » April 7th, 2014, 7:07 pm

Spectacular! That worked and everything worked out swimmingly well.

Return to “Disc Cover”