Canon Pixma Pro-100 offsets?

curlyjoe

Postby curlyjoe » January 13th, 2014, 1:19 pm

Hi, I can't get a calibrated print at all. Has anyone successfully printed with the Pro-100? If so can you share the offsets with me? Thanks.
Nick

Postby Nick » January 14th, 2014, 3:23 am

Hi curlyjoe,

Offsets are individual for your printer. Otherwise they would be included to the program settings.

What's wrong with calibration?

Did you select the proper CD/DVD tray? Your printer is compatible with Canon Tray Type K.

Nick
curlyjoe

Postby curlyjoe » January 14th, 2014, 10:53 am

Hi, thanks for the response. I'm selecting tray type K. I can't get my artwork centered.

My calibration print is horizontal 5.1 and vertical -2.1. When I plug in these values the prints still come out way off center.

Thanks.
Nick

Postby Nick » January 14th, 2014, 11:16 am

To verify the calibration result, did you print the calibration rulers or printed in a regular way?

If the first, the calibration rulers always show the offset which doesn't depend on the inputted correction values. To see if calibration did its job, you need to print your design using the main printing routine.

Nick
curlyjoe

Postby curlyjoe » January 14th, 2014, 11:36 am

I printed normally first, disc came out off center. I then printed a disc with the calibration rulers. Then used the values on the next prints, they came out different, but still off center.
Nick

Postby Nick » January 15th, 2014, 3:53 am

What are the new calibration values?

Most printers require aligning the disc tray (match a mark on the tray with a mark on the printer). Did you do this as described in the printer manual?

Nick
curlyjoe

Postby curlyjoe » January 15th, 2014, 1:54 pm

horizontal 5.1 and vertical -2.1

Yes I aligned the disc tray.
Nick

Postby Nick » January 16th, 2014, 4:05 am

Hi,

Please check settings in the calibration dialog. At the top, you need to select your printer (it is important if you have several of them) and choose Canon Tray Type K.

The calibration values you inputted indicate that the printed label was off center towards the bottom right corner of the tray, is it correct?

Correspondingly, after inputting 5.1 into Horizontal and -2.1 into Vertical edit box, your design should be printed 5.1 mm to the left and 2.1 mm upwards if compared with a non-calibrated printout. Can you see this difference? If after calibration, a printed picture moved in other direction, how far, and what direction is it?

Also please tell what versions of Disc Cover and Mac OS are on your computer.

Nick
curlyjoe

Postby curlyjoe » February 7th, 2014, 8:16 pm

Sorry, I ran out of discs to continue my testing. When I get some more I'll report back.
Last edited by curlyjoe on February 7th, 2014, 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Postby Nick » February 9th, 2014, 1:49 am

A disc used for calibration once can be reused. You just need to install it on the tray under a different angle, and somehow mark the previously printed rulers.

Nick
curlyjoe

Postby curlyjoe » February 9th, 2014, 6:28 pm

Hi, I meant to also say I'm using OS 10.8.5 and Disc Cover 3.0.10 (v670).

I'm choosing Canon Tray Type K and Canon Pro-100 printer.

I just printed a calibration sheet (my artwork was reduced in opacity to make reading the rulers easier) and on paper it came out perfect. Horizontal 0 and Vertical 0 match exactly. My artwork fits perfectly within the circle.

However when I print to a disc, it's way off. 5mm to the left. I put in 5mm to the right (+5mm) and it came out very close. Still a bit off, perhaps half a millimeter horizontal and maybe .25 millimeter vertical. I guess I will keep experimenting to get it perfect. Thanks
Nick

Postby Nick » February 10th, 2014, 5:30 am

Hi,

The importance of half millimeter accuracy may mean that your design has the background that wasn't printed along the edge of the printable area. If this is what happens, you can try to print with the bleed option activated. It makes the graphics be printed beyond the printable area edge and eliminates unprinted stripes.

To access the Bleed settings, click on the Options button in the Print dialog of Disc Cover. Inputting 0.8–1mm for bleeds would be enough to hide 0.5mm offset. Note that with too large bleed value, the printer can put too much ink on uncoated disc area or even on the printer tray.

Nick
curlyjoe

Postby curlyjoe » February 10th, 2014, 6:40 am

Thanks Nick for the bleed option info, I will try it.

Return to “Disc Cover”