DC3 strange behavior with text box content

Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » October 12th, 2013, 8:03 am

Hi Nick
I'm not a "regular" DC user.
In fact I should say that, in the rare occasions I need to create some labels/inserts for CD/DVD, I use Swift Publisher that I know "perfectly". Of course, it's not necessary the best choice for everybody but this works for me.
But this time I decided to give a try to DC. And to tell the truth, the work I'm saying about in this post was made with DC3 (3.0.9) running in demo mode (OS X 10.7.5), that being said I'm not sure that this changes something, yet.
So, here's the problem:
After designing this cover (for a Siouxsie and The Banshees' album (Tinderbox)) on a CD cover design element:

(just an extract)

I decided to copy/paste this text/smart shapes object to different kinds of design elements to make some trials.
Firstly, I tried the folding booklet element to be able to add more text and maybe one or more images:

After changing several times the zoom factor, I discover (with horror ;^)) that some settings (specially kern) were lost and that a character that has been changed to a space was coming back!

Note how the kern settings of the last word/line (BANSHEES) was completely lost/changed/and maybe reset.
Also note how the "O" of SIOUXSIE that I have replaced by a space to leave some room to this nice combination of two small smart shapes was coming back from "beyond the grave"!

Here's how this combination of smart shapes and text was made:
#1. I typed the text (SIOUSXIE AND THE BANSHEES) in a text box.
#2. I replaced the "O" of SIOUXSIE by a space (SI UXSIE).
#3. I adjusted the kern of some pairs of characters (example: "I " of SIOUXSIE) in each line separately (specialy for the last one).
#4. Over the space between SI and UX (SI UXSIE) I put a donut/ring smart shape, adjusting its size and "width".
#5. In the center of this donut, I added another smart shape: a star, adjusting its size, curve and sides count.
#6. I duplicated this star then moved this copy between the AND and THE words.
#7. I made two more copies of the star, adjusting alignment, distribution and position of these three stars.
#8. Once all are in the right place with the right size, I made a group with the donut and the star inside it, another one with the three stars of the second line then a third one, grouping these two groups with the text box.
So, I had one group, making it easy to move it and/or copying/pasting it in another design element.
And I was happy… until I paste it in another design element!
Note that this problem occurred also pasting the group in a CD cover design element (unfortunately I forgot to make a screenshot).
As usual (and unfortunately) this is not an easy to reproduce bug.

Another "wrong" behavior:
If I wish to change the color of the whole group (text and smart shapes), I try two different ways (the group being selected):
- if I change the color from the Text tab of the inspector ("Text Color" color well), this changes the color for the whole group (text and smart shapes) and this changes is immediate.
- if I use the "Color" color well from the Fill & Shadow tab, this changes nothing until the group loses focus. In this case, only the color of the smart shapes are changed.
I think that when using the "Text Color" color well, only the text color should be changed. This would make easier to change only the text color without the need of regrouping the whole group.
Also, it is certainly easier to change text or shapes in a group using two different color wells than ungrouping, selecting shapes, changing color, selecting text, changing color then, at last, "regrouping" the whole.
(maybe should I try to make shorter posts? ;^))
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website
Nick

Postby Nick » October 13th, 2013, 11:18 am

Hi Jean-Jacques,

I was unable to reproduce this bug. Could you plase email me a sample document? I tried this on 10.8, on Monday, I'll be able to test the program on 10.7.5.

We will revise the work of color controls. Your idea to apply the color well located on the Text tab only to text, if it is in a group, could be useful approvement.

No problem with long posts because everything is nicely structured.

Nick
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » October 14th, 2013, 7:17 am

Hi Nick
Nick wrote:Hi Jean-Jacques,

I was unable to reproduce this bug. Could you plase email me a sample document? I tried this on 10.8, on Monday, I'll be able to test the program on 10.7.5.

Nick

I sent you my DC3 document by mail.
Nick

Postby Nick » October 14th, 2013, 9:22 am

Thank you! I've received it.

Nick
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » October 15th, 2013, 9:50 am

Hi Nick
A (important?) precision:
This document was created with DC3 (3.0.9) under 10.6.8 then moved to another computer running 10.7.5.
Also, I noticed another problem when doing the opposite: moving the document to the computer running 10.6.8:
Here's one CD label content (10.7.5)

And here's the same document opened in the computer running 10.6.8:

As you can see, the last "S" of BANSHEES is hidden (but not deleted).
I fixed that editing tracking for the whole last line (after degrouping) but I surely may use kern (on the two last character) in place.

I have also noticed that some settings have been changed when opening under 10.6:
The Y position of the group:
20.3 mm (10.7) vs 20.1 mm (10.6)
The Offset value (Circular):
8.5 mm (10.7) vs 8.8 mm (10.6)
The size of the group remains the same: 48.4 mm x 63.3 mm.

More strange: changing the color of text of a group made of text and shape(s) doesn't always change the color of the whole group. Sometimes this changes the color of the shapes and text but in some occasions this changes only the text color (10.6 and 10.7).
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » October 15th, 2013, 11:58 am

Hi Nick
About colors group:
In a new document, I add a text box and a shape, choosing three different colors: one for text, another for line/stroke of the shape and a last one for filling the shape. Then I group the whole:

If I try to change colors using the text color well, the two fill colors are changed (text and fill color of the shape).
Then if I undo… this crashes DC (10.6 and 10.7)

Here's what appears the most important part of the crash log (maybe I'm wrong):

Process: Disc Cover 3 [1178]
Path: /Applications/Disc Cover 3.app/Contents/MacOS/Disc Cover 3
Identifier: com.belightsoft.DiscCover3
Version: 3.0.9 (668)
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [237]

Date/Time: 2013-10-15 18:22:25.626 +0200
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.7.5 (11G63)
Report Version: 9

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x00000000bf7ffff0

VM Regions Near 0xbf7ffff0:
__LINKEDIT 00000000bb105000-00000000bb108000 [ 12K] r--/rwx SM=COW /System/Library/CoreServices/Encodings/libLatinSuppConverter.dylib
--> Stack 00000000bc000000-00000000bf800000 [ 56.0M] ---/rwx SM=NUL
Stack 00000000bf800000-00000000c0000000 [ 8192K] rw-/rwx SM=COW

Application Specific Information:
Performing @selector(undo:) from sender NSMenuItem 0x114e850
objc[1178]: garbage collection is OFF

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0 com.belightsoft.DiscCover3 0x0016fdc8 CDDColor::getData() const + 16
1 com.belightsoft.DiscCover3 0x00170066 CDDColor::operator!=(CDDColor const&) const + 18
2 com.belightsoft.DiscCover3 0x001bb2e3 CFTComponent::SetFillColor(CDDColor const*) + 39
3 com.belightsoft.DiscCover3 0x001bb295 CFTComponent::SetFirstGradientFillColor(CDDColor const*) + 139
4 com.belightsoft.DiscCover3 0x001bb343 CFTComponent::SetFillColor(CDDColor const*) + 135
5 com.belightsoft.DiscCover3 0x001bb295 CFTComponent::SetFirstGradientFillColor(CDDColor const*) + 139
6 com.belightsoft.DiscCover3 0x001bb343 CFTComponent::SetFillColor(CDDColor const*) + 135
7 com.belightsoft.DiscCover3 0x001bb295 CFTComponent::SetFirstGradientFillColor(CDDColor const*) + 139
8 com.belightsoft.DiscCover3 0x001bb343 CFTComponent::SetFillColor(CDDColor const*) + 135
9 com.belightsoft.DiscCover3 0x001bb295 CFTComponent::SetFirstGradientFillColor(CDDColor const*) + 139
10 com.belightsoft.DiscCover3 0x001bb343 CFTComponent::SetFillColor(CDDColor const*) + 135

The couple of lines (3/4, 5/6, 7/8…) repeat numerous times.

When changing colors using the color wells of the Fill & Shadow tab, this changes only the shape colors (this is absolutely normal) and, more, the colors are updated immediately w/o the need to deselect the group.
I'm really surprised because this is not what happened previously (with the SIOUXSIE AND THE BANSHEES document).
Hope this helps.
Nick

Postby Nick » October 16th, 2013, 6:33 am

Hi Jean-Jacques,

I have easily repeated the crash from your last post. It is present on Mac OS 10.8 too. Thanks for finding this bug.

I've passed details on the problem with a group (post # 5) to the programmers.

The bug related to copying a group with customized kerning in suspended. The programmers need to have it repeating on our test computer.

Nick
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » October 17th, 2013, 4:01 am

Ok, thanks Nick

Return to “Disc Cover”