Text import Formats

lesyl94

Postby lesyl94 » August 1st, 2013, 10:03 am

Hello,

I'm trying to import text and use Custom Format to edit the Fields to display Audio tracks exported from a database. It is possible to edit the Format list and create new formats, but after clicking OK, the Format menu displays a blank box, and I cannot use the created formats.
It is really painful because this feature would really be great if it worked ! Or is there something I didn't understand ?
(Disc Cover v3.0.9 trial - Mac OS 10.8.4)
Last edited by lesyl94 on August 1st, 2013, 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Postby Nick » August 2nd, 2013, 1:57 am

Hi,

Unfortunately this feature doesn't work because of a bug. We will fix it as soon as possible.

Nick
lesyl94

Postby lesyl94 » August 2nd, 2013, 10:05 am

Ah OK, bad news... I was just evaluating Disc Cover to use it in relation with a database, and it would have be a great feature if it worked.
You have no idea when it will be corrected ?
Nick

Postby Nick » August 5th, 2013, 3:27 am

Hi,

I cannot say at the moment when this bug can be fixed. The most optimistic term is in two-three months.

Nick
lesyl94

Postby lesyl94 » May 12th, 2014, 5:43 am

Hello,

Almost 1 year and still no update ? Do you expect to fix it soon ? I can't find any other solution than copy/paste my datas from a database and it's really boring when there is a potential solution not working !

Thanks in advance !
Nick

Postby Nick » May 12th, 2014, 6:19 am

Hi,

I've reminded the developers that the bug is still present. Sorry for not fixing it for so long.

Nick
lesyl94

Postby lesyl94 » May 12th, 2014, 6:26 am

Thank you ! Keep me informed...
lesyl94

Re: Text import Formats

Postby lesyl94 » May 16th, 2017, 9:46 am

Hi gentlemen,

I am checking to see if the bug is still present en the current version (3.1.3 v700)... But it is !!!
Please ! Could you fix it ? I've made some tests and the format setting is working great with the iTunes importation, but not with the text import... It is still impossible to work with Disc Cover professionally !
loukash

Re: Text import Formats

Postby loukash » December 17th, 2017, 2:47 pm

This bug is really annoying. I have reported it via e-mail in December 2013 after upgrading from Disc Cover 2, then again in August 2014. It's been confirmed by staff, yet nothing has ever happened to fix it.

Meh.
So much for "support".

~~~

But fear not, fellow users, the fix is here!
Luckily the bug affects just the "Text Data" import section, not "Music", "Pictures" or "Video".

The fix itself is pretty simple. Either it can be done via Terminal (I'm skipping that for now, as I'd have to figure out the exact command yet), or with a 3rd party app. Some of those apps are available for free download, so it can be done at no cost.

1) Under the "Text Data import", import a random folder, or a random plain text file in order to access the "Format: Custom" editor.

2) Create all custom formats that you'd eventually like to use. You cannot use them yet, but they will be already saved for future use, and we'll enable them in a minute.

3) Quit Disc Cover 3.

4) Open the file:

Code: Select all

~/Library/Preferences/com.belightsoft.DiscCover3.plist
with an app that can read binary plist (XML) files.
That's for example:
If you're comfortable enough to read unformated XML files, you can also use an advanced text editor like TextWrangler (discontinued) or its successor, the unregistered version of BBEdit: http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler

5) E.g. with PrefsEditor, search for "disccover3", then open the ID "com.belightsoft.DiscCover3".

6) Expand the item (line) named "CustomImportFormats" (type "Dictionary") by clicking the triangle on the left.

7) You'll see a line named "data" (type "Array"). If you expand it further, it contains one or more numbered "Items"; those are your custom formats.

8) Rename the "data" array to "folder".

9) Save. (In PrefsEditor saving is actually called "Sync", but the effect is the same.)

10) Relaunch Disc Cover. Upon importing a folder or a text file, your custom formats should now be available from the dropdown menu.

~~~

You can actually create your custom formats directly by creating and editing the arrays in CustomImportFormats. All you need to know is the syntax (it becomes obvious by inspecting your already existing formats), and the abbreviatons used by Disc Cover. You may need to create a couple of "test formats" first with all available Field Names to see which abbreviations are in use in the Text Data section. There's e.g. "#FS" for "file", "#FF" for "folder", "#FS" for "size", etc.

~~~

That's about it. Let's hope the Belight developers get their act together and fix this bug at last, all that without charging us an upgrade fee for a v4!

Return to “Disc Cover”