Won't print on Canon Pixma Pro-1

tomfly

Postby tomfly » April 8th, 2013, 9:07 pm

Hi

I have been trying for hours to get the Disk Cover 3 software to print to disk on my Canon Pixma Pro-1. It goes through the motions of printing, but comes out without any print each time. I have tried all sort of configurations, and I am using the latest updates with the type 'H' tray for the Pro-1. No avail. I have successfully used the bundled Canon Easy Print software, but it just doesn't have the level of design I need and can get from Disk Cover 3 (which I have been successfully using for a long time on an Epson R800). Can you help?
Nick

Postby Nick » April 9th, 2013, 2:46 am

Hi tomfly,

Make sure that you have followed User Manual instructions to print on CD/DVD. The printer may require certain preparations (for instance, install the disc tray to the proper position). Also, you need to check the settings in the system Print dialog.The most important is to set the Presets to Default Settings, and set Media Type to CD/DVD.

If you have never printed CD labels using your Canon Pixma Pro-1, maybe the printer driver isn't installed properly. Or there are some hardware problems. To test the capability to print on discs directly, you can make a test print using Canon software.

And finally, after unsuccessful attempt to print a disc label, the printer or printer driver may display an error message. If any error is indicated, check its meaning in the printer documentation.

Nick
tomfly

Postby tomfly » April 9th, 2013, 7:10 am

Hi Nick

I have followed all of those instructions to the letter. Changed to the correct tray type, settings in print dialog set to 'printable disk' with all other settings left default for the canon settings.

I have managed to print to disc by exporting from disc cover, and printing from lightroom or photoshop. Also the bundled Canon photo printing software prints fine also - it just doesn't have the level of capability that I need, so I want your program to work!

At least I have a work around by exporting, but it is slow. There is definitely an issue with the communication, as I've proven the set up, and physical printing side are not the issue. It is, I agree, a strange one.
Nick

Postby Nick » April 9th, 2013, 8:11 am

Hi,

Try to print using Disc Cover, but change one thing in your workflow. In the Print dialog of Disc Cover, open the Tray Type menu and select Page Setup. In the dialog that opens, select your Canon Pixma Pro-1 in "Format For" drop-down list. Then set Paper Size to the option that was selected when you printed using Lightroom or Photoshop. Click on OK. Without any other changes proceed to the system print dialog, make necessary settings and print. If succedded, repeat the steps above, but in the system dialog choose PDF > Open PDF in Preview instead of the Print button. In Preview, press Cmd-I. What are the width and height of the page?

Nick
tomfly

Postby tomfly » April 9th, 2013, 9:09 am

Hi Nick

Followed your instructions exactly, but the printer does the same thing. Even tried printing from a 'PDF' Preview but it does the same - just sucks the disk in for about a minute pushes back and forth then ejects, thinking the job is complete.

The dimension in Preview after pressing CMD-I are 15.13 × 37.9 cm

The only way I can get anything to print on disk is either using Canon Easy Print or setting up a custom print template in photoshop or lightroom

Thanks

Tom
tomfly

Postby tomfly » April 9th, 2013, 9:55 am

Nick - just found out that the Canon software prints an inverted copy of the way your software lays it out. I want to see if flipping it the other way up would work by creating a custom size in you software ie 52mm to the CD edge from the bottom of the page rather than the top. What would the values be?
tomfly

Postby tomfly » April 9th, 2013, 10:34 am

After much wastage and fooling around, I have found the answer. The settings you have on the software are wrong and need to be adjusted - I found this out by looking at the PDF output from the Canon Easyprint software. The template should actually have the disc at the bottom of the box and offset another 5mm to the right. The printer simply wouldn't print before because it has reflective strips on the tray that stop it printing on the plastic elements and tell it where the disc is. Of course, in the default settings you have for the PRO-1 using the H tray, it's the wrong way up, so the printer refused to print (after some thinking!).

Here are the settings that work:

Printer: Canon Pixma PRO-1

Description:

<PaperFormat>
<Manufacturer>Custom</Manufacturer>
<ID>Canon Tray Type H (CD Tray) TJB</ID>
<PageSize>Other</PageSize>
<PageWidth>152.4</PageWidth>
<PageHeight>381</PageHeight>
<DirectToDisc>1</DirectToDisc>
<Models> </Models>
<Labels>
<Label>
<LabelType>CDDisc</LabelType>
<LeftMargin>81.3 mm</LeftMargin>
<TopMargin>267.8 mm</TopMargin>
<Diameter>117.6 mm</Diameter>
<HoleDiameter>15 mm</HoleDiameter>
</Label>
</Labels>
</PaperFormat>

Hope this helps for the future
Nick

Postby Nick » April 10th, 2013, 3:41 am

Hi Tom,

Thank you for your help! We will correct the tray template in the program.

Nick
t.pine29

Postby t.pine29 » April 20th, 2013, 1:53 pm

Hey I have a question pertaining the drawing a shape. i have Art Text 2 Lite and when I draw a custom shape in AT2 the ok button does not work so I cannot save it. I was wondering what I should do?
Arnout

Postby Arnout » August 16th, 2013, 3:21 pm

Hello Tomfly; Can you please explain, step by step, where and how I change the settings as descriped in your "Description". I have no clue how to do this.

tomfly wrote:After much wastage and fooling around, I have found the answer. The settings you have on the software are wrong and need to be adjusted - I found this out by looking at the PDF output from the Canon Easyprint software. The template should actually have the disc at the bottom of the box and offset another 5mm to the right. The printer simply wouldn't print before because it has reflective strips on the tray that stop it printing on the plastic elements and tell it where the disc is. Of course, in the default settings you have for the PRO-1 using the H tray, it's the wrong way up, so the printer refused to print (after some thinking!).

Here are the settings that work:

Printer: Canon Pixma PRO-1

Description:

<PaperFormat>
<Manufacturer>Custom</Manufacturer>
<ID>Canon Tray Type H (CD Tray) TJB</ID>
<PageSize>Other</PageSize>
<PageWidth>152.4</PageWidth>
<PageHeight>381</PageHeight>
<DirectToDisc>1</DirectToDisc>
<Models> </Models>
<Labels>
<Label>
<LabelType>CDDisc</LabelType>
<LeftMargin>81.3 mm</LeftMargin>
<TopMargin>267.8 mm</TopMargin>
<Diameter>117.6 mm</Diameter>
<HoleDiameter>15 mm</HoleDiameter>
</Label>
</Labels>
</PaperFormat>

Hope this helps for the future
Nick

Postby Nick » August 17th, 2013, 6:11 am

Hi Arnout,

Please make sure you are using the latest version of Disc Cover. The "What's new in Disc Cover v.3.0.9 since 3.0.8" section of the Version Canges states that:
- Canon Tray H dimensions (for the PIXMA Pro-1 printer) have been corrected.

Nick

Return to “Disc Cover”