Canon CD/DVD-label Tray Type J

apostlepd

Postby apostlepd » May 11th, 2013, 3:41 pm

I am attempting to print to a Canon MG5420 with a size J tray. I have selected the correct size tray and then I attempt to print and the printer gives me an error to close the tray. I have read and attempted to follow the instructions that state:

Canon printers:
From the Layout drop-down choose Quality & Media and set Media Type to Printable Disc.

However, the only media types that I have as options are:
1. Auto Select
2. Envelope
3. Photo
4. Plain Paper

I obviously leave it on "Auto Select" and it tells me to close the tray. I am stuck and don't know what to do next. I have three options for Feed From: Auto Select, Top Tray, Bottom Tray. I leave it on Auto Select since the disc is in neither the top nor bottom tray. Someone please help...

I am using OS X 10.8.3 and I have updated my Disc Cover app to 3.0.8.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled my printer three times. I have used the install disc that came with the printer to make sure I have all of the drivers. I don't know what is wrong.

HELP PLEASE

P.S. I have attempted to use the My Image Garden program that came with my printer, but it fails to recognize the printer. It says "Cannot print because no printer is installed that this program supports" -- The irony here is that I can print from every other program on my iMac. Everything else prints fine.

--------UPDATE-----------

THIS IS STUPID. WHY THEY DIDN'T PUT THIS IN THE MANUAL, I DON'T KNOW.

YOU MUST HAVE THE PRINTER PLUGGED IN VIA USB -- NOT WIFI -- THIS IS STUPID.

I don't need any help anymore.
Last edited by apostlepd on May 11th, 2013, 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TechnoBob

Postby TechnoBob » December 18th, 2013, 12:38 am

For Andy Matheson, above (who unfortunately gave up and probably returned a very good printer because he didn't get help for the two questions he asked--unfortunately, the BeLight folks can't be experts in the quirks of every model of printer), and maybe for the next person who comes here with the same two questions:

1. The reason the MX925 printer complains at you to close the inner door (which you had to open to put in tray J with your CD), is that it doesn't want you to do that in advance! It wants you to set up for CD label printing and command "Print" with the door closed and the tray not inserted! It will spin its wheels a while ("Processing...", it says), and THEN will ask you to open the inner door and insert the tray. Crazy. But you must follow that sequence or it doesn't work.

2. It is true that the MX925 manual does not explain how to print a user-created label directly, only how to copy the label of an existing CD and print it to another CD. However, the secret info (in #1) is found in that section ("Copying the Label Side of Disc"), where it says on p 87, "Important. Do not attach the disc tray or place the printable disc until the message asking you to set them is displayed. Doing so can damage the machine."

Hope this helps. I ruined a couple of CDs -- and had to spend $20 to upgrade my serviceable-for-years Disc Cover v2 to v3 to get the "tray J" setting for my new Canon MX925 -- before I found the above info in the printer manual.
Nick

Postby Nick » December 18th, 2013, 4:01 am

TechnoBob,

Thank you for your comment!

Nick
Riverpiper

Postby Riverpiper » December 29th, 2013, 10:26 am

A workaround to print Disc Cover artwork using the Canon MG6350 direct disk printing facility.
1. In Disc Cover surround your completed artwork with a black circle in 3mm line setting to cover the dotted perimeter. Select no fill and bring forward to show the circle.
2. Print using fine setting with the Canon printer on high quality A4 paper from the normal paper disk tray.
3. Follow the instructions on the printer's screen for copying a disc. The A4 artwork you have just produced will be used in place of a disk.
The printer will recognise the black circle as the disc perimeter and not print it. You will end up with a high quality image printed correctly on the disc.
Nick

Postby Nick » December 30th, 2013, 3:50 am

Thank you Riverpiper for this instruction.

Nick
viennawaits

Postby viennawaits » March 19th, 2014, 5:24 pm

Riverpiper, thank you so much - been trying to figure this out and that did the trick. Worked beautifully WITHOUT having to run a USB across the room.

1) Went to "background" tab, filled the entire disc circle with solid black.
2) Filled everything inside with white except for the outer edge dotted line. So there's literally a black ring around the disc outside of the outer-most dotted line.
3) Print it on regular paper.
4) Go to your Canon and select "Copy Disc". Put the print you just made in the scanner. It'll scan the paper print you just made and imprint it onto your disc.
jls1

Re: Canon CD/DVD-label Tray Type J

Postby jls1 » June 25th, 2015, 9:58 am

AND A COUPLE OF YEARS LATER....also trying to print my own DVD image design using the Canon MX925.....I got to the point of realising the only way it would work is by exporting an image file e.g. TIFF of the design from Disc Cover and importing it into Canon's own more limited software 'My Image Garden'......but still not working and pulling hair out and ended up phoning Canon.....

THE SOLUTION !!!!
Is to set your exported whole disc image from Disc Cover as the BACKGROUND IMAGE within Image Garden and then ALL IS GOOD !! Just follow the onscreen prompts.

Return to “Disc Cover”