Can't print on CD with Canon iP5000 plus MacBook Pro

ATOWAPaul

Postby ATOWAPaul » November 11th, 2012, 3:22 am

Hi,
My MacBook Pro (MACOSX 10.7) plus Canon iP5000 won't print on CD. I have version DiscCover 3 RE version 3.0.7 but the RE version came with Roxio and is limited. From the CANON site, I installed CD-Labelprint for OSX for MACOS 10.6, the newest I could find.
Could it be, that only the full version will allow for printing directly on CD? Or is there any other omission on my side? It used to work well on my old Windows PC.
Who can advise me?
Thanks in advance for your advise.
Paul
Nick

Postby Nick » November 11th, 2012, 12:37 pm

Hi Paul,

The RE version should print disc labels as the standard version of Disc Cover does. Please make sure that you have set correctly the printer tray and the media type. Follow the printing guidelines in the Help.

If this doesn't help, please explain what happens. Can you see your design in the preview in the system sprint dialog?does the program display any error message?

Nick
ATOWAPaul

Postby ATOWAPaul » November 11th, 2012, 5:18 pm

Hi Nick,

Thanks for coming back. I will duly describe what happens and how my settings are. It's quite a story, but here it comes.
Settings: First window:
Output direct to CD/DVD, Tray Type: Canon Tray Type B, C, D (CD Tray), Printer: Canon iP5000. I can see the image of the design in the large preview window. Number of copies is set to 1.
Next brings the usual print settings for the Canon iP5000:
Printer: Canon iP5000, presets: Default Settings, Copies: 1, Pages: All
Then the different settings are:
Layout: Pages per Sheet: 1, Border: None, Two Sided: off (greyed out), Boxes Reverse Page orientation and Flip horizontally are left unpicked.
Color Matching: Radiobutton Canon Color Matching is active
Paper Handling: Collate Pages is unticked, Pages to Print: All Pages, Page Order: automatic, Scale to fit paper size unpicked, Destination Paper size greyed out
Cover Page: Print Cover Page: None, rest greyed out or left open.
Quality and Media: Media Type: Printable disc (recommended), Paper source: Disc Tray, Print Quality: High, Greyscale printing left open
Color Options: standard
Borderless printing: greyed out
Duplex printing & Margin: greyed out
Supply levels show no show stopper

When I hit Print after putting the CD tray with a printable DVD in the printer, it first says Print: 'name of the cover design'. Preparing for printable disc printing. And instructions to place the tray, hit Resume to start printing.
Then a window pops up, saying: printing.
Next the tray is pushed a bit outward and the following text is displayed:
Support Code: 1001. CD-R-tray is not placed or contains no printable disc. Instructions to place the tray and hit Resume.
Which leads to a repetition of the same ad infinitum.

Can you make out what goes wrong here?
Looking forward to your reply.
Paul
ATOWAPaul

Postby ATOWAPaul » November 12th, 2012, 5:12 am

Edit of my previous reaction:
Could the solution simply lie in the fact, that the image is too high up the tray, so that it moves out too much and can't return? I will give it a try and see, if things go right when I raise the positioning of the image. I will report the results.
So long, Paul
Nick

Postby Nick » November 12th, 2012, 5:15 am

Hi Paul,

I think that Disc Cover did its work correctly. Otherwise, the printer driver outputs a message suggesting that the paper type is incorrect, or telling something about the CD/DVD tray. Since the driver has accepted the printing job, it's more likely to be a hardware error.

The Canon web site explains the error 1001 for PIXMA MG6340:
Support Code=1001
< Message >
There is no disc tray.
Set the tray and tap [OK].
< Action >
When printing on printable discs (BD/DVD/CD, etc.), use the disc tray supplied with this printer ("J" is on the upper side). Place a printable disc on the disc tray, attach the disc tray to the printer, then tap OK on the touch screen.

and for PIXMA iP7240:
Support Code=1001, 1002, 1007, 1008 / Number of flashes=Two flashes:Printer is out of paper/The disc tray is not attached/Paper does not feed

Reload paper in the cassette and press the RESUME/CANCEL button on the printer.
When printing on printable discs (BD/DVD/CD, etc.), use the disc tray supplied with this printer ("J" is on the upper side). Place a printable disc on the disc tray, attach the disc tray to the printer, then press the RESUME/CANCEL button.

Effectively good test is to print using another program (for instance, the Canon disk printing utility) and compare the result with Disc Cover. If it is the same, the trouble is caused by the printer driver or the printer itself. If other program(s) can print on discs, we should search for the problem source in Disc Cover.

From my point, you need to check the position of the CD/DVD tray in the printer. When the tray is installed correctly, the arrow on it must match the arrow on the printer. Some printers require removing all paper before printing on discs. See the printer manual for more details.

Also make sure that you have the most recent driver. On this page
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/pixma_ip_series/pixma_ip5000#DriversAndSoftware
version 10.51.2.0 for Mac OS 10.5/10.6 (01/27/12) is available.

The CD-Labelprint software you have downloaded seems to released in 2009 for the last time. At the moment, there is Easy-PhotoPrint EX Ver. 4.1.6 which is compatible with 10.6. Check the link above for this program. The last release was made on 11/02/12. This program can be used to test your printer with currently installed driver.

Nick
ATOWAPaul

Postby ATOWAPaul » November 12th, 2012, 6:18 am

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your continuous support. I installed the Canon 10.51.2.0 driver and the Canon 4.1.6 Easy-Photoprint EX program. I started Easy-Photoprint, went through the whole process and guess what? I got the very same outcome. The tray is pushed out and subsequently the printer program finds, that there is no tray. It's driving me nuts.

From what you say, I guess, that you will say, that it's a Canon or an OSX 10.7 problem.
But since Canon did not update further than 10.6 (where Apple now has released 10.8 Mountain Lion), Canon seems more suspect than Apple.
Anyway, I intend to buy an upgrade licence for the normal version, but first I want to be very sure, that I will be able to print CD/DVD's at all, no matter who is responsible for me being unable to do what I want to: simply print on printable CD/DVD's.

First, I will address my issue to Canon as well. But I have a bad feeling, that it's such a case, where everybody will end up saying: we understand your problem, but it's not our fault. Leaving me in the middle with empty hands. I hope that somebody will be able to help me out.

Thanks in advance,
Paul
Nick

Postby Nick » November 12th, 2012, 7:00 am

Can you print on plain paper?

It can help if you could test printing on discs on another computer. This way we could isolate the hardware from the software.

Try to print on a CD/DVD using Disc Cover and then Easy-Photoprint. After this, open the Console program from the Applications/Utilities folder and search for "disc cover", "photoprint" and "canon". If there are any messages found, copy them to this topic.

Nick
ATOWAPaul

Postby ATOWAPaul » November 12th, 2012, 7:55 am

Hi Nick,

I seem to have solved the problem! I will repeat the steps and describe them. Minor issue: I did several things, so don't know the influence of each single one.
First, I made sure, that all the ink reservoirs had plenty of ink, although none indicated a low level.Then, I used DiscCover again. I prepared the print just like before. The message appeared: 1001 No tray, after the tray had been pushed outward (which seemed to me also to happen at the end of the routine). Printer settings were at default, Quality & Media are at Prinable disk (recommended), Source Disc Tray, Quality High.
After hitting Print, the printer symbol indicated: preparing for printable disc printing, giving prescriptions: Open inner flap, place printable disc in tray on this flap, push in, press RESUME to start printing. So I did.
Then, the program indicated Printing. When the tray came out again, I kept pushing it back (not too hard). Code 1001 appeared, saying No tray, place tray and press RESUME. I did so, while gently pushing the tray in again. And then a miracle: the machine started printing the printable DVD.

It seems, that CANON overlooked something in its programming, which may or may not have been caused by the newer OSX release. A mechanical instruction seems misplaced.

It's a bit complicated, but I can proceed (ouff, at last I'm back on the road again). I will tell CANON about the solution also. Just in case anybody else is facing the same issue: I hope you benefit from this.

Thanks again for your advise and assistance. I think the Console data are no longer of importance. If you would like to see them anyway, I will prepare them.
Grateful,
Paul van Nierop
ATOWAPaul

Postby ATOWAPaul » November 12th, 2012, 7:58 am

Edit to my previous message:

Yes, I can print on plain paper.
I'm afraid I don't have a Windows PC available anymore, threw them out a few years before and so didn't regret it. Well, I almost did on this issue.

Paul
Nick

Postby Nick » November 12th, 2012, 8:13 am

The log isn't needed. Thanks for telling about the solution.

Nick
Ajax

Postby Ajax » November 30th, 2012, 11:17 am

nalian, what letter do you have engraved on the disk tray which supplied with your printer?
** SCOTT Genius for YevGenius ;) ** MTB Rider **
ATOWAPaul

Postby ATOWAPaul » November 30th, 2012, 12:01 pm

Hi nalian and Ajax,

Is this in fact a new thread or are you addressing me? FYI, I have a letter "B" engraved on my tray. If my details don't matter anymore, please let me know and/or start a separate thread.

Paul

Return to “Disc Cover”