Gradients over images

lookatthisguy

Postby lookatthisguy » June 5th, 2012, 10:30 pm

Hello all,

I'm writing because I'm encountering what I assume is a bug, I just don't know if it's a bug with Disc Cover 3 specifically or a compatibility issue with my Artisan 800.

I've got an image on my label, and have placed a rectangle over it that grades from white at the top to 0% opacity at the bottom (the idea being, the image "fades out" from the bottom line of text). The problem is, when it gets to the printer, the whole image is blocked out by the placing of the rectangle layered above—it prints wholly white even where there should be 0% opacity. I've experimented with this a bit, slightly adjusting opacity levels, colors, and switching from the CD label itself as well as the case insert, but it always comes out with the same result—I can't see the image. Now to be fair, the initial print prompt displays a preview correctly, but it seems to get lost in translation when it goes to the printer's print prompt.

This is for a project that needs to be done by tomorrow, so I'll just add the gradient to the image in Pixelmator and use the exported image, but I'm sure it's not an uncommon idea, so I thought I'd mention it here to see if I'm doing something wrong or if there's something that ought to be addressed. Sorry if something similar has already been posted; I searched but found nothing that seemed related.
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » June 6th, 2012, 4:02 am

Hi lookatthisguy
It seems that when exporting to PDF, this problem occurs too:
File>Export (choose PDF format) then open the file in Preview.app or Adobe Reader.
So, this comes certainly from AT and to be more precise from the PDF generation used by AT.
An alternate way to create this kind of effect (masking with gradient) is to use… a gradient mask (from the Image tab of the Inspector).
This is not so versatile than using a gradient image over another image as you can't adjust the center point but don't forget that you can create your own masks and use them in place of the built-in masks.
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website
Nick

Postby Nick » June 6th, 2012, 4:38 am

Hi lookatthisguy,

Thanks for details. We'll try to fix this bug in the next update.

One of possible workarounds is to export the design to the TIFF format (PDF has the same problem as printing), and then print the exported image.

Nick

Return to “Disc Cover”