Export to pdf file - Edges cut off

raycostello

Postby raycostello » September 25th, 2011, 8:19 am

Hi,

I have created a CD disk face artwork with DC3.

When I export to a pdf for the Printing Company. the pdf file that is rendered has the edge of the image cut-off slightly on the LH and top side. About 1mm of the image is missing.

I have made sure that the backdrop is slightly greater that the disk size which is 116mm. The hole size is 18mm.

I have tried recreating the artwork a few times and always get the same result.

If I try printing direct from DC3 (no export) to my Epson printer, the result is perfect.

Both Tiff and Jpeg exports work fine.

Can you please help me as I am trying to meet some tight deadlines with the printing company.

Thank You

Ray
Nick

Postby Nick » September 26th, 2011, 4:18 am

Hi Ray,

How can I see this problem on my computer? I have exported a test disc label to PDF and TIFF files. The dimensions were accurate.

One of ways to check the size of a PDF image it to export the disc label, open the created PDF in the Preview application and open the Inspector (Cmd-I). In the Inspector of Disc Cover, the outer diameter was 160 mm while Preview showed 11.61 × 11.61 cm.

Please note that the export feature lets you set up the bleeds. The printing company may require bleeds or not. You should ask them what bleed size they need. Also, the difference between the sizes of your PDF and TIFF files could be caused by the different bleeds set for these formats. You can verify the bleed size by clicking the Options button in the export dialog.

In case of your need to print the artwork urgently, send to the printing company a TIFF file (many of them accept this format). With 600 dpi and higher, the quality must be very good.

Nick
raycostello

Postby raycostello » September 26th, 2011, 1:08 pm

Hi Nick

Thank you for the fast response.

What I can see when I look at the screen, or print the image rendered with Export pdf, is two places on the outer edge of the disc where it looks like it has been trimmed with scissors. 12 o'clock and 9 o'clock. So it is not completely round all the way around. Hope this makes sense.

When I examine the disc size as you suggest the size is reported as expected.

I am not using bleed on the disc image as the printer has asked for no bleed.

What I have also noticed since my last mail, is that if I go into the 'Print' menu and then select pdf as the output the image rendered is fine with no chopped off edges.

So, the problem seems to only be with 'Export' pdf files.

My contingency options are to use the pdf route above that works, or as you say, a tiff file.

Many thanks again for your help Nick.

Ray
Nick

Postby Nick » September 27th, 2011, 2:48 am

Hi Ray,

Could you send your document to support@belightsoft.com together with the link to this topic? I'll repeat what you did in order to see how the exported PDF is cut off.

Nick
raycostello

Postby raycostello » September 27th, 2011, 7:07 am

Hi Nick

Will do.

Regards
Ray
Nick

Postby Nick » September 28th, 2011, 8:56 am

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the image. It doesn't seem to have cuts off. I've added it to a blank document and placed over it a circle of the same diameter. Their edges go along all the way. Maybe the defects appear only when you preview the image scaled down. In Disc Cover document zoomed up to 400% your disc label looks normally.

Nick

Return to “Disc Cover”