BeLight Software Forum

Merging layers while preserving colors

April 14th, 2011, 9:35 am

Hello,

I just wanted to ask if there is a way to merge layers using Union but still preserve the colors of both layers. I have done almost everything I can think of, but every time I merge two layers either using union or join Art text uses the color of the layer in the back.
For example if i am trying to merge a blue square in the background with a yellow triangle the app only preserves the blue color and the triangle also becomes blue.

Is there a way to union the square and the triangle and still have two colors or is there atleast another way of doing this.

The reason i want to do this is because i want to apply a shadow on the whole shape, but if its not merged the shadow is also applied in between the shapes and the same applies to the stroke effect if you understand what i mean.

Thanks, and I really love Art text
Last edited by adem on April 14th, 2011, 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
adem

April 14th, 2011, 10:17 am

Hi,

There is no way to preserve individual colors when you merge layers. Art Text applies the color/texture/material effect to the whole layer. Any of the merging tools creates a single layer, and the program re-applies the color to the result.

Nick
Nick

April 14th, 2011, 10:19 am

Hi adem
There's no way to merge several layers preserving each layer "style" (fill, stroke, shadow/glow).
Here's a workaround:
- duplicate the layers you wish to merge
- merge these duplicated layers
- apply style (shadow, stroke…) to this new layer
- move it under the original layers

Note that as Stroke is centered, the inner half will be masked.
If this is a problem, you may duplicate the merge layer then:
- apply stroke to it
- uncheck the Fill checkbox
- move this layer at top.
if you use shadow, set the same stroke width to the two merge layers (the one at bottom and the one at top:

Hope this helps.
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" C2D 2.33GHz
BeLight Community website
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

April 16th, 2011, 6:52 am

Thanks Nick.

Thanks Jean-Jacques, your workaround works for me :)

However is there any chance for adding this as a feature in a future update.
adem

April 16th, 2011, 10:59 am

Hi adem,

We'll think what we can do. With the present way the program works this is impossible to apply one effect to one part of the layer, and another effect (or same effect with different settings) to the rest of the layer.

Nick
Nick

April 16th, 2011, 5:44 pm

one more thing, it would be really great if we could merge imported vectors which were created in other programs like adobe illustrator. At the moment I am only able to merge vectors created in art text which means I am limited to the symbols and icons etc that come with the program or if they are part of a font. am I missing something, or is the program designed this way?

I really like like this program and its ease of use and I think it has real potential if only a few more features were added to it.
adem

April 18th, 2011, 3:41 am

adem,

The program can merge imported vector graphics. Drag and drop an image onto the canvas to import it. Then see if the layer merging works.

Note that:
- We don't provide import of Illustrator (.ai) files. This works because of support by Mac OS. The recommended format is PDF.
- A PDF file can contain many vector shapes and/or raster images. To have the merging function work predictably, a PDF should contain only one shape.

Nick
Nick

April 18th, 2011, 3:59 am

Nick,
I just copied a vector design from illustrator to art text, I can resize it without loosing quality, but if i right click to merge it with another vector layer 9union, join, subtract, intersect0 are grayed out. I also tried to do the same by dragging a PDF image that I had exported using art text, and again the merging tools are grayed out.
adem

April 18th, 2011, 5:51 am

Don't copy-paste. In Illustrator, choose File -> Save As. Select the PDF format and save.

Nick
Nick

April 18th, 2011, 6:02 am

Ok , I saved it in a PDF format, then i dragged the icon into art text still the merge tools are grayed out, I also tried to copy the vector from the PDF file and then paste it into art test and still no luck. Am I doing something wrong? When I resize the layer in art text I am not loosing quality which means it is being recognized as a vector so I dont know where the problem is.
adem

April 18th, 2011, 6:08 am

Please send your PDF to support@belightsoft.com – I'll see what's wrong. Add the link to this discussion to your email.

Nick
Nick

April 18th, 2011, 7:10 am

Thanks for sending me your image. It contains about 15-20 separate vector elements with masks. Art Text cannot cope with such images. To use the layer merging feature, this image should be recreated as a solid vector shape preserving only the contour.

Nick
Nick

April 21st, 2011, 6:40 am

adem

Return to Art Text