Missing Email field in label

jonesbud

Missing Email field in label

Postby jonesbud » May 16th, 2016, 3:44 pm

I'm trying to format a list of addresses from a Numbers data base. I can attach to the database ok. The fields are all visible and I can associate the data items with the label fields i.e. last name, first name, street address, phone and email. All the fields work correctly except for email. Even though the data is in the data base it won't show up in the labels.

I've tried associating "email work" and "email home" neither works. I've also tried associating the database field with a custom field - that didn't work. I tried exporting the Numbers file into a text file and using that. Still didn't work. I'm out of ideas.

I want the label to be 4 lines:
LAST, first - this works
street - this works
phone - this works
email - this does not work
Nick

Re: Missing Email field in label

Postby Nick » May 17th, 2016, 11:05 am

Hi

What version of the program do you have?

If you have any contacts in Contacts.app, try to choose one containing an email to check if it works.

Generally speaking, the problem may be caused by the format email addresses are stored in Numbers. For example, addresses can follow an invisible symbol as a space or tabulation which confuses our program. Thus, it is reasonable to make sure that the column with emails has nothing before and after each email.

Also, check the data type selected for the column with emails. Id it is different from other columns, try to make it the same.

It can help, if you email us your document in the labels & Addresses format and a sample file with contacts. If you wish to keep the contacts confidential, create a test contact list in Numbers.
support@belightsoft.com

Nick
jonesbud

Postby jonesbud » May 18th, 2016, 3:26 pm

Hi Nick,
I also contacted Technical Support [Ticket#2016051652000852] on this problem. Igor suggested that I try using a Custom field in place of the email field. It worked.

What I am attempting to do is print a directory in booklet form with 2 columns of addresses on each page. Each address would be on 4 lines (name, address, phone and email). Printing from my database won't get the format I want. Merge printing will only get me one address at a time - designed for printing envelopes. So what I have come up with is using L&A to print labels to a PDF file where I can scrape the formatted addresses and paste them into the booklet I have set up in Swift Publisher.

It's almost working now. The copy out of the PDF file misses some carriage returns so I have to check every address.
Nick

Postby Nick » May 20th, 2016, 4:14 am

Hi

Using a Custom field for importing emails sounds like a good workaround.

To print addresses in 2 columns, you could use not an envelope template, but a label paper with 2 columns of labels per page. Just make sure that the paper format in Labels & Addresses is the same as in Swift Publisher. For instance, both can be Letter, or label paper can be Letter, and the page size in Swift Publisher - Half Letter. This is an example of a paper layout:
paper.png
paper.png (100.61 KiB) Viewed 2269 times

Your label template can be creates out of individual fields:
label_template.png
label_template.png (20.63 KiB) Viewed 2269 times

Since you can arrange fields as you need, maybe adding carriage returns will not be needed.
There is a trick with the First and Last Name fields. You cannot predict what space between them is needed because names have different length. The program can automatically position the First Name field if you group these two fields into an address panel. Select the First and Last Name fields, right-click on them, and choose Combine Address Panel from the context menu.
address_panel.png
address_panel.png (26.87 KiB) Viewed 2269 times

Then you can open the Print dialog and choose to save to a PDF instead of printing. If the page layout was selected correctly, you will be able to fit one page from PDF (about 14-16 addresses) to one page in Swift Publisher.

Nick
jonesbud

Postby jonesbud » May 28th, 2016, 10:55 am

This almost works. I had to put them in a single column otherwise the addresses would not be in alphabetical order. I had a little trouble putting a comma between the last and first names but finally got that included in the Combine panel. Then the Email refused to print. It shows up in the label field but when you go to merge print the line disappears. I've tried replacing the @ character in the field to make it a straight text field but it still doesn't print.

Finally, when scraping the addresses off the PDF file, I found that Preview works better than Acrobat Reader. Acrobat skips some of the fields when I copy.
Nick

Postby Nick » May 30th, 2016, 9:31 am

I tested the program with one of your CSV files. When emails were linked with a Custom field, the data appeared in the editing window as well as in a PDF saved from the Print dialog.

Did you export contacts from Numbers or CSV?
If you choose only one contact to print (make sure it has email), will the email be present in the
1) preview of the Print dialog of Labels & Addresses;
2) preview of the system Print dialog;
3) in PDF ?

Nick

Return to “Labels & Addresses / Mail Factory”