CMYK ?

DRCope

Postby DRCope » December 5th, 2006, 11:51 am

I've designed a new business card for myself using the web safe color set, but all the online printers want CMYK. That's not one of the choices available.

What do I do now?

TIA,

Dave Cope
Nick

Postby Nick » December 5th, 2006, 12:10 pm

Hi,
Business Card Composer does not have an internal converter. To make fully CMYK card, you should use CMYK images only and select the CMYK sliders in the Color palette before setting colors.

Another possibility is using a program that can convert images from RGB to CMYK.
The Preview application have such a tool: Tools > Match to Profile. Try to convert the image you are going to send to the printer.

Nick
DRCope

Postby DRCope » December 5th, 2006, 12:21 pm

I don't have any images in the card. I have a white area, which will be plain card stock, black, which is obvious, and khaki and olive background segments.

Since the obvious way to print a useful qty of business cards is via online printers, with links to three in the application, not enabling selection/creation/conversion of the universally used printer color set seems a little sad.

Thanks for the fast response, though.
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » December 5th, 2006, 12:52 pm

Hi Dave (and all :^),
Caution:
- using CMYK colors (for text/shapes…) and CMYK images in BCC (in fact, the same occurs in all BeLight apps) then exporting as tiff or jpeg files and… you get a RGB file :^(
So the easiest way to get CMYK files for printing or sending to a printer is to use Preview.app as mentioned by Nick.
- if you use CMYK sliders from the Colors panel, be sure that a CMYK profile is selected (Generic CMYK for ex.).
If you select a RGB color then switch to CMYK sliders to adjust it, this color isn't automatically convert to a CMYK color!
So you have to select the right profile as see here:

As you can see, CMYK sliders are selected but a Generic RGB profile (Generic RGB at the bottom of the profiles list) is also selected!
Hope this helps.
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website
efarish

Postby efarish » February 15th, 2008, 6:54 pm

Love the forum!

1. How do you know what images are CMYK compliant?
2. I've been selecting CMYK Sliders and selecting colors from the folowing website. Is this sufficient for ensuring a CMYK compliant project?

http://www.december.com/html/spec/colorsvgcmyk.html

Thanks!
Nick

Postby Nick » February 18th, 2008, 9:46 am

efarish,

It seems there is no way to verify if an arbitrary image is compliant with CMYK or not.

While you are choosing a color, programs like Adobe Photoshop indicate that the current color has equivalent in CMYK, or can be converted from RGB to CMYK with some change.
So, if you have an image limited number of colored spots (stripes, text, etc.), you can verify all colors. For photographs this is impossible.

Note, this is only my vision upon the issue.

Nick
jcolome

Postby jcolome » June 11th, 2013, 7:09 pm

After all these discussions i'm still confused. I apologize for my ignorance but I am new to this. I wish there could be a way where I could upload this file (postcard) i'm working on for a very important client but i can't see a way to do this.

this card has a dimension of 6.5 x 9 and will be going out to over 50,000 homes using every door direct.

I created this card using SP - from a sample card they gave me. it has 3 pictures of some art and an earthy background color. I own photoshop as well as Indesign and Illustrator but I find them very complicated to use.

I can see where Nick tells us to check for CMYK and I see the sliders but if for example, I select the background of the card and then choose the cmyk slider I can see the colors change - that's fine but when I select the actual clipt art (came from clients website) and then choose CMYK slider i see no changes to image ?

Bottom line is that I hope I can get away with producing photoshop quality work using SP ?

I find SP so easy to work with and do not want to have 50K of these cards printed out only to find out that they come out in a nasty different color than it shows on out monitor.

That's my dilema or choose the safe route and pay a designer $400 bucks to do for me :-(
Nick

Postby Nick » June 12th, 2013, 3:05 am

when I select the actual clipt art (came from clients website) and then choose CMYK slider i see no changes to image ?

The Colors pane as well as sliders in it can change only colors that are object properties such as color fill, stroke, text color, etc. It cannot modify the image.

Since you have Photoshop (PS), you can open all graphics you need to use in Swift Publisher, and resave as CMYK this way. Open an image in PS. Choose Image > Mode > CMYK Color. Then select File > Save As to keep the original copy unchanged.

Also, you can do all your work in RGB colors, export to a TIFF file and convert this file to CMYK using PS. This makes sense if you need to select a particular CMYK color profile (if your print shop requests one).

Bottom line is that I hope I can get away with producing photoshop quality work using SP ?

Nobody can answer yes or no. Technically, you can achieve good results in SP. It depends on what you need to create exactly.

I find SP so easy to work with and do not want to have 50K of these cards printed out only to find out that they come out in a nasty different color than it shows on out monitor.

As a rule, print shops can print a test copy for verification. I guess this requires some extra time and fee. Since you are going to print a lot of copies, it is reasonable to order a pilot copy to make sure that everything is all right.

Nick
jcolome

Postby jcolome » June 12th, 2013, 5:26 am

Thanks again Nick
jcolome

Postby jcolome » June 12th, 2013, 8:05 am

one last question - should i use 8 or 16 bit ?

thanks
Nick

Postby Nick » June 12th, 2013, 2:52 pm

On my opinion, 8 bits per color will be enough. You can benefit hi-color mode (16-bit) if you are editing a high quality original photo. I guess that the images prepared for your work are 8-bit and there is no need to convert them to 16-bit colors.

Nick

Return to “Business Card Composer”