Avery 8859

Ashermusic

Postby Ashermusic » September 19th, 2010, 10:51 am

I cannot find a template in Business Card Composer 5 or 4 for these nor do I see anything on the Avery site except for Microsoft Word. And even if I did, I see nothing in the help file about importing a template.
Nick

Postby Nick » September 20th, 2010, 6:16 am

Hi Ashermusic,

There is no way to import a MS Word template. You can either create a custom template, or try to find a compatible template in Business Card Composer.

Nick
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » September 20th, 2010, 6:49 am

Hi Ashermusic
There's no way to import Word or other templates… but, imho, there's no need for this.
Avery 8859 cards are 3.5" x 2" cards on a US letter sheet. There're 10 cards by sheet.
So, from BCC, create a new document then from the Inspector>Document tab choose "Change Layout…" (or select File>Change Layout… from the menu bar).
From there, select Avery, US letter and Category: Businees Cards then choose Avery 10 Clean Edge Business Cards (3-1/2 * 2in) cards model (yes, this is not exactly the same than 8859, margins seem to be different, in particular there's an inner gutter):

Click on the Create Custom… button:

Now, "all" you have to do is adjusting correctly the horizontal and vertical margins/spacings:

Caution: 0.5" Horizontal Spacing I used here, is just an example, you have to measure margins on the sheet itself to get the right margins sizes then adjust left margin and horizontal spacing.
At the end don't forget to rename this custom template to something like Avery 8859.
To test this, create a card with a colored border (use a rectangular smart shape with a black border/stroke/line of 1.00 pt but no fill). Print this on a "normal" paper sheet (to avoid wasting glossy paper) then place this printed sheet over a 8859 glossy paper sheet and see if borders coincide with cards boundaries.
Hope this helps.
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website
Ashermusic

Postby Ashermusic » September 20th, 2010, 8:45 am

Thanks for responding. Yes, I figured all that out. All that measuring and then printing and tweaking is what I was trying to avoid as it is not my strong suit

Isn't that the company's job?
Nick

Postby Nick » September 20th, 2010, 10:17 am

We are adding new paper types when discover that one is not supported in our software. If the user needs a new template urgently, he or she can add it not waiting for a program update.

Nick
Ashermusic

Postby Ashermusic » September 20th, 2010, 10:23 am

OK, fair enough Nick.

Return to “Business Card Composer”