inserting data from file...

Jean-Jacques Boutaud

inserting data from file...

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » June 8th, 2016, 6:38 am

Hi Nick
I need to create a small set of postcards with data from a MySQL table.
Data can be found here : http://www.helenelathoumetie.com/catalogue.php.
I can write a query and get the data in a TAB separate fields file and use the excellent feature from PW: insert data from file.
Unfortunately, one field is a multiple lines field. I can't find a way to display/print this kind of field the right way. I tried wrapping data in quotes ("field"), but this doesn't seem to work.
Is there an (elegant) solution?
#1More, BCC5 seems to be the only Belight app that may insert image that way (from a file).
Adding this option to PW would be welcome!
#2More( bis)Pw seems to have some problems to remember settings when adding a new field.
One needs to reselect the right type of separator (comma, tab , space...), first row as header.
BCC remembre that perfectly !
a last word, maybe, displaying the name of the field, in the document before printing, should be more useful the displaying the # of hid field.
Example, displaying < file name price> is more informative, (imho) than < filename column 3>,
as one doesn't have to remember what is this column 2 (the lastName, firstName, address, mail...?)
With these minor adjustments this PW feature (inserting data from file) should a "killer" one!
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website
Nick

Re: inserting data from file...

Postby Nick » June 8th, 2016, 10:02 am

Hi Jean-Jacques,

Thanks for your feedback!

[quot]Unfortunately, one field is a multiple lines field. I can't find a way to display/print this kind of field the right way. I tried wrapping data in quotes ("field"), but this doesn't seem to work.
Is there an (elegant) solution?[/quot]
The "new line" symbol is interpreted as the end of one data field and the beginning of the following. I couldn't find any way to overcome this.

I've passed all your comments to the developers.

The last issue:
On my computer, the program displays actual data. The file and column names are shown only in the editing mode.

Nick

Return to “Printworks”