Adjusting the position inside of mask

KipV

Adjusting the position inside of mask

Postby KipV » January 6th, 2015, 3:59 pm

Hi, I was wondering if there is a way to reposition an image that is inside of a mask? With InDesign you can use the direct selection tool to move a masked image around. If Printworks can't do this it would be a nice feature to add; I like to have control over what gets cropped out of the mask.
Nick

Re: Adjusting the position inside of mask

Postby Nick » January 7th, 2015, 2:38 am

Hi,

Printworks doesn't allow adjusting the applied mask. You can try to make use of the Crop tool. To see how it works, add a test image to your document. Right-click on it and select Crop from the context menu. Move red handles towards the center of the image to make visible only a part of it. Select a mask -– it will be applied to the result of cropping.

If you need to change a mask, for instance, change the shape or make the transition area smoother, you need to create a custom mask and choose it in the Inspector.

Nick
KipV

Postby KipV » January 8th, 2015, 6:51 pm

I just noticed that if you click crop you do have the option of repositioning the image inside the mask. The one thing that would still be nice to do is resize the image inside of the mask. That is something I do quite regularly.
Nick

Postby Nick » January 9th, 2015, 6:36 am

To resize an image inside its bound and as result inside a mask, you can use the Tile tool. In the Appearance tab of the Inspector, click on the pop-up menu below the Mask tool and select Tile.

You can notice that both Tile and Crop are present in that menu what means that you cannot use tiling and cropping simultaneously. If you need both, crop the image before adding it to your document, then apply Tile.

Nick
KipV

Postby KipV » January 9th, 2015, 12:50 pm

That is a problem that you can not you cannot crop and resize an image at the same time. I think this is something that BeLight will need to simplify in later versions. Maybe I will send them a feature request. Thanks for your help on explaining this.
Nick

Postby Nick » January 12th, 2015, 4:44 am

I don't see any conflict here between resizing and cropping. First, scale the image, then crop it to show some image part, and finally apply a mask.

Nick

Return to “Printworks”