Issues printing group addresses from contacts

markf424

Issues printing group addresses from contacts

Postby markf424 » December 18th, 2014, 12:02 am

Hello,

I've created an envelope using Address Fields on Printworks. Everything looks just fine, print preview pane looks fine, but when I print (either to PDF or paper), the vast majority of the envelopes show only the actual placeholders for the address book entries. For instance, instead of Contacts data, they'll show something like:

<Street>
<City>, <State/Province> <ZIP/Postal Code>

The first 2-3 envelopes are fine, but the remaining envelopes (I'm printing 62) have only the placeholders.

In Contacts, my list is a "group", and it's an iCloud group. Don't know if that makes a difference.

Any assistance is appreciated. These are holiday cards and I bought Printworks solely for this purpose!
Nick

Re: Issues printing group addresses from contacts

Postby Nick » December 18th, 2014, 4:37 am

Hi,

The data fields such as address or name are automatically populated only at printing. When you export, these fields are displayed as placeholders.

If you need to create a PDF, open the Print dialog as you are going to print, but instead, click on the PDF button and select Save as PDF.

Nick
markf424

Postby markf424 » December 18th, 2014, 10:30 am

Hi Nick.

Thanks for the response. Yes, as I mentioned in my original post, this occurs AFTER printing - either to paper or PDF. Also, I mention that the first 2-3 envelopes print properly.

Perhaps you could re-read my initial post and let me know if there's another troubleshooting step I can perform?

Thanks.
Nick

Postby Nick » December 18th, 2014, 11:43 am

Sorry for my mistake.

One of possibilities is that there is one or several broken or "special" contacts in your address book. As soon as the program attempts to print such a contact, something goes wrong. If this is correct, try to find which contact this is. For example, if the program stops printing normally after the 3rd envelope, contacts 3 and 4 are under suspicion. Try to print (actually check in the print preview) them independently. Also check if you can print one of contacts from the end of the list.

If you find a particular contact that won't print even separately from others, please send it to us together with a log (see below).

As soon as the problem repeats, please save your console log and send it to support@belightsoft.com along with the link to this topic. To save the console log, open the Console application from the Applications/Utilities folder. Choose "All Messages" in the left panel. Then select File > Save a Copy As in the menu of Console to save the log.

One more thing to test. Select a number of contacts in the Print dialog of Printworks (let's say 10). Then check how many envelopes the program is going to print. Is it the same number as the quantity of selected contacts?

Nick
markf424

Postby markf424 » December 18th, 2014, 4:58 pm

Hi Nick.

Thanks for the tips. I've tried printing different contacts (to make sure it's not a single entry that's the cause) and am unable to get this to work unless I print them one at a time. One thing I am doing is using the "Related Names" field. Because some of the people on my mailing list are families, I'll enter what I'd like the envelope to be titled in the "Manager" field, for instance. It's possible this is messing things up, but I don't have time to deal with it.

Unfortunately, this isn't working out for my needs. Good luck.
Nick

Postby Nick » December 19th, 2014, 11:51 am

Thanks for these details. I'll try to repeat the bug on my computer.

Nick

Return to “Printworks”