Concealer didnot backup by Time capsule after migration to n

CKSum

Postby CKSum » March 9th, 2014, 9:26 am

I used migration assistant to move my data from my time capsule to new macbook. Concealer data also moved accordingly. So far so good.
However, when I do backup in the Time Capsule from my new macbook, the Concealer was not backup.

Please help.
Nick

Postby Nick » March 9th, 2014, 12:10 pm

Hi CKSum,

Please explain what way you used to insure that your Time Capsule doesn't contain a fresh copy of Concealer's files?

Our program stores your data inside this file: Concealer.bundle. To reveal it's location, open Concealer preferences. The path we are looking for is in the Card Repository Location box. Check if your backup contains a duplicate for this file. Also make sure that Concealer.bundle is not present in the list of excluded items.

Nick
CKSum

Postby CKSum » March 9th, 2014, 5:25 pm

I use two ways:

1) after entering the time machine, I couldn't stroll back in time in the concealer data file.

2) I go to finder and click on the time capsule backup folder. I also couldn't see any concealer data file available in the past backup folders (sorted by dates)
Nick

Postby Nick » March 10th, 2014, 4:18 am

I tested version 1.2 (190) on OS X 10.8.2. Time Machine keeps previous versions of Concealer repository. I opened successfully the last and last but one repositories directly from the backup drive, and also a copy of the backup placed on my working drive. To access old versions of the repository, the File > Change File Repository command was used in Concealer.

By default, the repository is located inside the Library folder that belongs to your user account. This folder is hidden either on the working and backup drives. Maybe you simply couldn't see it in Finder.

As I noted before, Time Machine settings behind the Options button in the System Preferences contain the list of excluded items. If a folder containing the repository is present in the list, the Time Machine doesn't copy it to your backup drive. Did you check this list?

Nick
CKSum

Postby CKSum » March 10th, 2014, 4:34 am

Yes. I checked. It wasn't excluded.

I migrated from my old MacBook to the current one.
So, concealer was working fine in my old MacBook.

After migrating, the concealer data was transferred successfully too. It's only when I start to do time machine backup in my new MacBook- that's when nothing was backup during each run.
Nick

Postby Nick » March 11th, 2014, 4:00 am

Try an alternative way to verify if your Concealer repository is excluded from the backup list. Copy this line (a space at the end is needed)

Code: Select all

tmutil isexcluded

Open Terminal.app located in Applications/Utilities. Paste the command in Terminal. Then drag and drop your repository to Terminal. The complete command should look like this (your path can differ from mine):

tmutil isexcluded /Users/Nick/Library/Application Support/Concealer/Concealer.bundle

Hit the Return key. In the output, you'll see "Included" if Concealer.bundle should appear in the backup, and "Excluded" if shouldn't.

Also try this test. To the folder where Concealer folder is located, it is Application Support in my example, add a test folder. Copy Concealer.bundle to it. Then manually run Time Machine, and see if the Concealer and test folders get into the last backup.

Nick
CKSum

Postby CKSum » March 11th, 2014, 7:35 am

I tried to check with your 1st method- and it says [Included]

One the second check with test folder- the test folder was backup. Not concealer.

I'm very puzzled.
What should I do next?
Nick

Postby Nick » March 12th, 2014, 4:59 am

There is another command that reads the list of excluded files directly. Try to run this command in Terminal and check the output for Concealer:

read /Library/Preferences/com.apple.TimeMachine.plist SkipPaths

You can try to exclude Concealer repository in the System Preferences, run Time Machine, then allow to backup the repository, and run Time Machine again to check is the situation has changed.

Is your repository located in the default folder that is
~/Library/Application Support/Concealer/Concealer.bundle
or somewhere else? If the second, what is the path?

Nick

Return to “Concealer”