Getting a bunch of errors (93)(get_xattr_data)(memory)

porkchop

Postby porkchop » May 16th, 2011, 4:45 pm

Hi there,

I'm using GetBackup to do a nightly sync. Currently have 3 events scheduled each night. For each event I'm one-way sync'ing a directory from one smb device to another--same device in each instance (server and a nas) just different directories.

One of the events runs without trouble. One of them runs with a couple errors and one seems to error pretty hard and not finish.

Most commonly I see a ton of these:
rsync: get_xattr_data: lgetxattr("filename", "com.apple.FinderInfo",0) failed: Attribute not found (93)

then on of the events, prior to synchronization, I see this sequence:
IO error encountered -- skipping file deletion
rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 4 bytes to socked [sender]: Broken pipe (32)
ERROR: out of memory in get_xattr_data [generator]
rsync error: error allocating core memory buffers (code 22) at util.c(118) [generator=3.0.7]
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (50 bytes recieved so far) [sender]
rsync error: error allocating core memory buffers (code 22) at io.c(601) [sender=3.0.7]

Any help/direction would be appreciated!
Nick

Postby Nick » May 17th, 2011, 8:09 am

Hi porkchop,

Is there any indication where the file causing the problem is located? Is this location is the source or destination? It can help if you run the disk maintenance routine (Disk Utility) for this storage.

Is it correct that your syncing contain different folders, not clones of the same?

Please send the complete log(s) to support@belightsoft.com
To get to the folder containing logs, click the Log History button in the Log window.

Nick
Nick

Postby Nick » May 18th, 2011, 8:39 am

Thanks for the details. I have emailed you me answer.

Nick
demiguele

Re: Getting a bunch of errors (93)(get_xattr_data)(memory)

Postby demiguele » March 24th, 2015, 1:58 pm

Hello there,

I'm having the same issues like Porchop and I haven't seen any solved trhead. I'm trying to clone an external disk to another external disk and it doesn't take much time the connection to be broken and the destination disk to be ejected (G-DRIVE-2015-03-24)

It prompts an error as follows:
G-DRIVE-2015-03-24" rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 4 bytes to socket [sender]: Broken pipe (32)
"G-DRIVE-2015-03-24" rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (1368 bytes received so far) [sender]
"G-DRIVE-2015-03-24" rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(605) [sender=3.0.9]
24/03/2015 19:27 "G-DRIVE-2015-03-24" See full log for details.
24/03/2015 19:27 "G-DRIVE-2015-03-24" Cloning failed.

Any solution?
Nick

Postby Nick » March 25th, 2015, 6:05 am

Hi,

The full log can contain more details.

In general, the problem happens outside our program. For instance, if the destination drive is accessed over network, the connection can be unstable what can cause the error you have.

Nick
demiguele

Postby demiguele » March 27th, 2015, 9:12 am

Hi,

Thanks for answering. I want to add that the network is totally local, they are directly connected by a firewire 800. I can understand that the problem may be caused by other issues outside your program but I even can't understand what the error implies. Maybe you can give me a clue?

Miguel
Nick

Postby Nick » March 27th, 2015, 11:40 am

Hi Miguel,

Basically, cloning is the creation a bootable copy of your drive. As a rule, a network drive cannot be bootable. Also, the used network protocols and/or the remote drive file system may not support some important file attributes. From this prospective, cloning over network is identical to simple copying files. The error could arise because the program couldn't transfer some file attributes.

This page explains possible causes for the problem (in technical language) according to the error message:
https://rsync.samba.org/FAQ.html
What is easy to check from that list is:
- Give the program more operative memory. That is to reboot the computer and run only Get Backup.
- Make sure that the destination drive has enough free space.
- Make sure that the destination drive file system is HFS+ (Mac OS Extended).

As conclusion: If you need a bootable copy of your drive, it is better to clone to an external USB drive. If you wish to create a backup copy of your files, you can copy your documents without files belonging to the operating system.

Nick

Return to “Get Backup”