sparsebundle ?

ironbutterfly

sparsebundle ?

Postby ironbutterfly » September 30th, 2017, 4:43 am

I'm trying Get Buckup Pro 3.
It creates "sparse bundle" folder.
Have no idea what it is and why.
So in order to check the bucked up file, there are additional steps to take ?
Thanks.
ironbutterfly

Re: sparsebundle ?

Postby ironbutterfly » September 30th, 2017, 6:27 am

ok, I've read the documentation a little bit.
I was selecting 'disk image' as destination folder instead of 'folder'. That was the reason of creating sparsebundle.
But now when checking the bucked up folder, there are 4 folders my external drive:
Main one which starts like this: b3_09-30-2017_14.14.48
subfolder: banners.wrp1. (banners is folder with banners)
subfolder: banners
subfolder gb3info.plist

what is reason to create all this ?
Can it be simplified or avoided ?
ironbutterfly

Postby ironbutterfly » October 2nd, 2017, 11:06 pm

I'm still curious if the backup can be done without creating these three subfolders ?
Igor Lizunov

Postby Igor Lizunov » October 3rd, 2017, 9:08 am

In the backup destination folder, the program creates a folder dedicated to a particular backup project. The name of this folder is the project name plus an underscore symbol plus an alphanumeric prefix. For example, if your project is called "Documents", the folder name can look as Documents_4FFA23B7-207C-42BF-A9DB-A500023DD276. The prefix is generated automatically and ensures that projects with the same name will not mix up their backup folders.

Inside the backup folder, there are:

gb3info.plist - an auxiliary file needed to store some information related to the backup.
b3_2016-02-03_17-54-28 - a folder to store a version of backed up data. There can be one or many of such folders with different date and time in their names. Every time you run a backup project, the program creates one more folder, and copies the current version of your files into it.
If we look at the list of items included to the project, there are files and folders that are not inside of any other folder. Let's talk about them as top level items. So, the program places each top level item into a folder with the same name and a unique prefixes such as ".wrp1", ".wrp2" and so on. If you go deeper in subfolders, the file structure will be exactly the same as in the original folders.

So in the whole, the backup storage content may look this way:

Documents_4FFA23B7-207C-42BF-A9DB-A500023DD276
gb3info.plist
b3_2016-02-03_17-54-28
Document_1.txt.wrp1
Document_1.txt
Document_2.txt.wrp2
Document_2.txt
b3_2016-03-03_17-54-28
Document_1.txt.wrp1
Document_1.txt
Document_2.txt.wrp2
Document_2.txt
Folder_1.wrp3
Folder_1
Folder_2.wrp3
Folder_2
Document_3.txt
Document_4.txt

At the beginning of the backup process, a folder to store a new backup is named "GB3ProcessTemporaryFolder". When all files are successfully copied in this folder, the program gives it a proper name as explained earlier. If the process wasn't finished, the temporary folder remains until the next backup session. If files in the temporary folder are up-to-date, the program will not copy them again in the new session. This helps to finish the process faster.
ironbutterfly

Postby ironbutterfly » October 4th, 2017, 8:03 am

Thank you Igor,
But what is the reason for this structure ?
To protect the backed up folder or file ?
Igor Lizunov

Postby Igor Lizunov » October 5th, 2017, 8:41 am

I believe this was done to prevent multiple files with the same name in one folder.
Igor Lizunov

Postby Igor Lizunov » October 5th, 2017, 8:41 am

I believe this was done to prevent multiple files with the same name in one folder.
Acorns17

Postby Acorns17 » October 5th, 2017, 12:32 pm

In a similar position to Ironbutterfly, just started using the software - I basically want to have incremental backups, so was forced to use 'Disk Image' which also gives me sparse bundle files. If I try to use a Folder destination then I lose the incremental back up.
I thought sparse bundle was a purely IOS thing so why is it being created with GB Pro3? Although I have brought the product, I'm wondering if I'll get my head around how it functions when I need to find the back up in a few days/weeks/months time.

Return to “Get Backup”