Dome roof

Ajax

Postby Ajax » March 10th, 2011, 11:28 am

Hi everybody,

Recently got few questions about how to make a dome roof. Never met such need so I tried to make it. Wasn't too easy as some other kinds of roofs but once I got an idea — it went like a charm. So here is the video about how to make it.
Since there are not curved walls yet I would use set of short straight walls. Next step is to make an opening in the ceiling (sure if one needed) and add a roof.

After that switching to the roof storey and draw a floor so it would cover all walls on the ground storey. That is required because roof is always generated over the floor (or ceiling). Drawing simple 4-sides floor gives us simple 4-sided roof. Otherwise we have 12 walls so 12 roof sides, each of which should be split into 4-5 segments. That's a lot of work so we do the trick.

Once we got simple 4-sided roof starts splitting it's segments: lower got 60º, than 45º than 30º and finally 15º (there could be one more with minimal - 3º slope as the topmost). So we have nice dome but made like for 4 walls only. Now switch to 3D to see the magic, select and delete floor from the project tree and voila! you'll get all those 60-45-30-15º segments done for all 12 walls.

Here is the sample document. I made roof painted with semi-transparent material so internal structure is visible.

** SCOTT Genius for YevGenius ;) ** MTB Rider **
salah2992

Postby salah2992 » February 18th, 2013, 8:26 am

Excellent work
FredrickD

Postby FredrickD » March 20th, 2013, 8:57 am

This is brilliant.
DelaneyAmy

Re: Dome roof

Postby DelaneyAmy » November 17th, 2017, 8:19 pm

thanks for sharing all this information

Return to “Live Interior 3D”