Variable wall heights on a single story

jonsap

Variable wall heights on a single story

Postby jonsap » September 6th, 2016, 2:48 pm

From what I have seen, there have been a number of topics on this and I don't think there is a good solution, but I wanted to check. I have been using LI3D for about 6 months to help design a southwestern style home. They are often on one level/story, but there are as many as 4 or 5 different wall and ceiling heights. Wall openings have been discussed and don't work. I also want to be able to extend some walls above the ceiling height ( a requirement in some developments). I think the ability to make these types of changes has been requested.

Have I missed something and is there a way to individually specify the height of individual walls in a room on a single story and have the ceiling be at some set level such as 10 feet?

If not, how high on the priority list is this for a new release?

Thank you.
Nick

Re: Variable wall heights on a single story

Postby Nick » September 7th, 2016, 3:15 am

Hi,

The wall height is still universal for all walls on the same floor (except for Loft walls). As a replacement for a shorter wall, you can use a 3D block from the object library, or custom floor object with customized elevation.

Walls of the Loft type can have different height which is defined by roof height and shape. If rooms with different height are located on the upper floor, you can create variable wall/ceiling height by adjusting the roof configuration.

We don't plan to support arbitrary height for individual walls so far – they will still reside between the nearest floor and ceiling. But some improvements will be made in the future version.

Nick
jonsap

Postby jonsap » September 9th, 2016, 8:13 am

Thank you I will do some experiments.
jonsap

Postby jonsap » September 15th, 2016, 1:35 pm

Nick wrote:Hi,

The wall height is still universal for all walls on the same floor (except for Loft walls). As a replacement for a shorter wall, you can use a 3D block from the object library, or custom floor object with customized elevation.

Walls of the Loft type can have different height which is defined by roof height and shape. If rooms with different height are located on the upper floor, you can create variable wall/ceiling height by adjusting the roof configuration.

We don't plan to support arbitrary height for individual walls so far – they will still reside between the nearest floor and ceiling. But some improvements will be made in the future version.

Nick

I still don't think this works. There are two things I can not seem to do which I would expect I could. The first is to create a covered patio. For this I would need the roof to slope down from the house wall to the lower columns/supports. The second is what we exchanged the above message about. I can not seem to get the height of a loft wall to change.
DimA

Postby DimA » September 16th, 2016, 10:13 am

Hello,

For covered patio I suggest to create а closed room with wall tool, then insert openings(from library for example or create them in the Wall Panels Editor if you have Pro Edition) in the walls, resize openigs to leave just columns/supports.

I know it is not the simplest way.
That is why the upcoming major upgrade includes the new tools to do everything easier.
For example Pro Edition will include a custom roof tool, that allow to create a custom shaped roof anywhere in the project.
Were are going to release it next Monday!
jonsap

Postby jonsap » September 19th, 2016, 9:09 am

Thanks for the additional information. A couple of questions;
1. How would I do a sloped roof on the covered patio. That is the roof is higher at the house and lower at the end. I can make the support columns and size I want, but I don't know how to cause the roof - I could use an object rectangle for the roof - to slope.

2. The buggiest part of Li3D appears to be integration with the external objects library - there are frequent crashes. Has this been addressed?

3. In the new material for the pro version of your new product, there is reference to an extended library of objects for separate purchase. How much is this? Can it work with the new standard edition?

4. I just bought the product this year (Li3D standard version). Is there any discount to upgrade to the new standard or pro version?

5. Is there any other support mechanism other than this forum? Is there a way to get email when a response is posted. Most other forums support this but I have not found that here.

Thanks
Nick

Postby Nick » September 20th, 2016, 6:03 am

Hi

Method 1
Use one of shapes to create a patio roof. This can work well if the roof has a simple shape as a shad roof.

Method 2 (the result would look better than by using Method 1)
Supposing that the house roof is above the ground floor and the patio roof is between the floor and ceiling of the ground level, you can add a roof to the ground floor and then raise it to the proper level. Basic steps:
The starting point.
pic_1.jpg
pic_1.jpg (57.25 KiB) Viewed 4810 times

1.1. Activate the ground floor and draw a custom floor. It should take the same space on the floor plan as the patio roof.
pic_2.jpg
pic_2.jpg (57.59 KiB) Viewed 4810 times

1.2. Click the "Add auto roof on the current story" button in the Building Properties tab of the Inspector. The recently added floor will be covered by a roof. Shed roof was selected in my example.
pic_3.jpg
pic_3.jpg (92.81 KiB) Viewed 4810 times

1.3. Select the new roof and change its elevation in the Object Properties tab of the Inspector.
pic_4.jpg
pic_4.jpg (90.57 KiB) Viewed 4810 times

1.4. If needed, adjust the angle or other roof properties.

2. The buggiest part of Li3D appears to be integration with the external objects library - there are frequent crashes. Has this been addressed?

Please send the following details to support@belightsoft.com
- Crash log. As soon as a problem happens, the Crash Reporter window opens up automatically. Click on the Report button and copy all text from the Crash Reporter window to your email.
- The link to an object in the Warehouse importing of which caused the problem.

Sometimes, a weak internet connection can prevent you from importing an object from the online library. In this case, you can try to download it as a file and later import from this file.

3. In the new material for the pro version of your new product, there is reference to an extended library of objects for separate purchase. How much is this? Can it work with the new standard edition?

We only plan to sell additional objects. Sorry if there was a confusion. If you saw any advertisement of additional object package, please tell where.

4. I just bought the product this year (Li3D standard version). Is there any discount to upgrade to the new standard or pro version?

There is an upgrade form on this page:
https://www.livehome3d.com/store/#upgrade
Also, the price on Mac App Store will be reduced for some time.

5. Is there any other support mechanism other than this forum? Is there a way to get email when a response is posted. Most other forums support this but I have not found that here.

A completely alternative way is emailing to support@belightsoft.com
Also, you can use the Subscribe Topic link at the top of a forum topic page.

Nick
jonsap

Postby jonsap » September 23rd, 2016, 10:31 am

Thank you. I appear to be subscribed to this topic since there is only "unsubscribe" shown at the top of the page.

Also, I guess, I will just do the upgrade on the Mac App Store, I see a discount. I don't know if this is the same as what you are offering though.

Finally, thank you for the suggestions on the roof. I will upgrade to the new pro version and see what I can do.
jonsap

Postby jonsap » September 23rd, 2016, 10:36 am

I have attached a copy of the screen that starts after purchasing and installing the new pro version. IT references in app purchases to extend the library.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-09-23 at 11.34.50 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-09-23 at 11.34.50 AM.png (226.69 KiB) Viewed 4806 times
Nick

Postby Nick » September 24th, 2016, 7:29 am

Hi,

The price on App Store is what we can offer at the moment. Thanks for the screenshot. The In-App Store button was designed to offer different types of additional content. Currently, we have only a package with materials.

Nick
jonsap

Postby jonsap » September 24th, 2016, 1:14 pm

Thank you, I have purchased the pro version of LH3d and it does seem better. I have also followed the instructions you gave for a roof. They are different I think for this new program. I did not want to access it from the building properties, since I only want this on the patio outside. I got that to work pretty well. What is left is how to figure out different height walls on a single story which started this. If I have questions for that though, I will post them in the new forum for LH3D - assuming it is the same for Pro since there may be differences between the two.

Thanks for your help to this point.
DimA

Postby DimA » September 24th, 2016, 2:40 pm

In Live Home 3D Pro you may choose a Roof tool and create а custom roof anywhere in the project, also you may take advantage of Building Block tool to create a patio and all columns/supports.

About different height of walls. We think there is no need to have different wall heights except of loft case. For lofts you can change wall type to 'Loft Wall' and roof slopes will cut such walls from top. If you have any other scenario when you need walls with different heights please describe it and we'll do our best to help you.

Best regards,
Dmitry Yunchik
DimA

Postby DimA » September 24th, 2016, 2:48 pm

Note ceiling elevation you may change in the Inspector: select ceiling object in Project Tree, for example, and change its Elevation in the Inspector (use Object Properties first tab)
jonsap

Postby jonsap » September 24th, 2016, 4:24 pm

Thanks for this, I think I have this down. The current problem is that even when doing a flat roof the system wants 3% angle which is fine and I can understand this, but it does not let me rotate the roof so the angle is in the direction I want.

Also when closing after doing a bunch of this the program quit unexpectedly again. Let me know where to send the dump.
DimA

Postby DimA » September 25th, 2016, 12:41 am

If you've got a crash please send it to the support@belightsoft.com
Note, we've just released an update 3.0.1, it fixes couple of crashes when Shadow Maps technique is in use. Anyway if you've got a crash send it us and we'll do our best to fix the problem ASAP.

You may rotate a roof in the Roof Assistant: select a roof (on a plan or in the Project tree), choose 'Change Roof Type' from context menu (Ctrl+left mouse click, or right mouse click), in the opened Roof Assistant rotate the roof using rotate buttons under 3D Preview.

With best wishes,
Dmitry Yunchik

Return to “Live Interior 3D”