Variable wall heights on a single story

Nick

Re: Variable wall heights on a single story

Postby Nick » October 10th, 2016, 11:04 am

I'm afraid, the forum engine can cope only with small files. Please use any of file sharing services (such as Dropbox) to share your project ant then email the download link.

To find out why the program hangs we need to see your document and to know which steps lead to the problem. The size of your project suggests that it might have too many of objects, or some of them are very detailed.

Nick
Nick

Postby Nick » October 11th, 2016, 10:27 am

Thanks for sending us your project. I need some time to sort out what is wrong with the openings you showed previously in a screenshot.

The performance issue is linked to the complexity of your project. We have some suggestions in the Help on how to make the program work faster with big projects. What you can do as the first step is to find all objects marked with the yellow triangle sign in the Project Tree. Try to simplify or replace them if possible. Those which aren't a part of the building (e.g. the cars) can be hidden while you are editing the project. Make them visible again when you need to export pictures.

sign.png
sign.png (13.35 KiB) Viewed 1251 times

Some 3D objects as in the picture above were created ineffectively. It's better to replace them with a wall panel with a dotted texture applied or which just painted with the appropriate color.

Other objects with the yellow sign can be simplified in the Type & Representation dialog using the 'Level of detail' slider. It is described on this page:
http://www.livehome3d.com/support/lh3d-help/objects_type_representation.html#level_of_detail

Nick
jonsap

Postby jonsap » October 11th, 2016, 5:27 pm

A couple of comments, they may help as you work on a fix.
1. I was not aware of the warning until just now. I will say this problem did not start until just the other day and all the objects with warnings have been in the project for a long time.
2. That object tree is difficult, I could not find a search feature, nor could I find a place to expand all groups. Is there one.
3. Also all of the objets that are complex have come from the warehouse. I mentioned earlier in this thread that is when the program would frequently quit (that was when I was using Li3D). I have been using Lh3d for a bit and have not used the warehouse as much since I have most of what I need for now.
My point is that I did not have any trouble until I started working with openings.
jonsap

Postby jonsap » October 13th, 2016, 6:26 am

Can you give me an estimate about when you think there will be some sort of solution for the intersection of openings in walls.
Thank you.
Nick

Postby Nick » October 13th, 2016, 9:00 am

Hi

Thanks for your feedback about the Project Tree.

The problem with intersecting openings:
It is possible to get rid of an artifact in the corner by deleting the two walls and openings and adding them again. I've reported the problem to the developers.

A few more comments on your project.

1. The level of drainage gutters suggests that your project lacks the slab. As we discussed before, you need to have two stories. The one at the top will be used to add a parapet.

2. There are walls that have an angle slightly different from 0 or 90 degrees. One of them is indicated in me picture with an arrow. It is better to set angles of all walls to 0, 90, 180 or 270 degrees to avoid potential problems, and to make the drawing more precise. To verify the angle of walls, open the Project Tree, select one wall after another and check the angle in the information bar above the horizontal ruler.
wall_angle.png
wall_angle.png (43.84 KiB) Viewed 1250 times

3. You used an imported sliding door. Here are two things:
a). All imported doors have the Furniture type. In order to be able to install it into a wall, right-click on it and select Type & Representation. Then change its type to Door.
b). Our program cannot work the door you have chosen correctly because the hidden part of the door (on the left in my picture) was kept by the model author. In fact, the hidden part should have been cut off. I'd recommend you to use another model.
sliding_door.png
sliding_door.png (60.71 KiB) Viewed 1250 times

Nick
jonsap

Postby jonsap » October 16th, 2016, 1:59 pm

Hi Thanks for all the comments. Sorry I was not aware of the slab requirement. That said, I just went back and checked and there is a slab on the 1st story. The only story in this diagram. It says for the ground floor the slab thickness if 7.9" and the story height is 18' which is what I set it at. The reason for that high height is that I had to allow room to put the openings in. Is there something else I a missing here.

You say:

The level of drainage gutters suggests that your project lacks the slab. As we discussed before, you need to have two stories. The one at the top will be used to add a parapet.

I just stuck the drainage gutters into the wall at a constant elevation. Why do I need a second floor for the wall openings?

Thanks.

Since there was so much in your reply. I am going to do several separate replies so as to keep the issues separate.
jonsap

Postby jonsap » October 16th, 2016, 2:01 pm

2. There are walls that have an angle slightly different from 0 or 90 degrees. One of them is indicated in me picture with an arrow. It is better to set angles of all walls to 0, 90, 180 or 270 degrees to avoid potential problems, and to make the drawing more precise. To verify the angle of walls, open the Project Tree, select one wall after another and check the angle in the information bar above the horizontal ruler.

Well they were not until I started to mess with the openings. During this I messed them up. I will go through and fix them.

I would also like to suggest that the user interface is difficult when you have an opening on a wall. The problem is that it is hard to select one or the other, sometimes several click attempts are needed.
jonsap

Postby jonsap » October 16th, 2016, 2:11 pm

I just went through this, there is no way that I could see to fix the angle without trying to drag it. It is nearly impossible to get it exactly correct. You would think it would snap to a reasonable able. It would be easier to start over that to try to fix this. This is a total waste of my time.
Nick

Postby Nick » October 18th, 2016, 10:11 am

Hi,

The only story in this diagram. It says for the ground floor the slab thickness if 7.9" and the story height is 18' which is what I set it at. The reason for that high height is that I had to allow room to put the openings in. Is there something else I a missing here.

I thought that to show the different heights from outside, you could add short walls atop of the slab as in my earlier pictures. In this case, a second floor is needed.
http://www.belightsoft.com/forum/download/file.php?id=214

I just stuck the drainage gutters into the wall at a constant elevation. Why do I need a second floor for the wall openings?

If you add openings on the main floor, which means below the slab, you will have these openings present in the rooms.

I would also like to suggest that the user interface is difficult when you have an opening on a wall. The problem is that it is hard to select one or the other, sometimes several click attempts are needed.[/qoute]
This multi-step selection was made by design. The first click selects the whole room, the second selects a particular wall.

I just went through this, there is no way that I could see to fix the angle without trying to drag it. It is nearly impossible to get it exactly correct. You would think it would snap to a reasonable able. It would be easier to start over that to try to fix this. This is a total waste of my time.

The more objects are in the project, the more objects the cursor snaps to when you move or draw something.

It may help if you hide as many objects as possible while dragging wall ends. Also you can add guide lines to snap to them.

Nick
jonsap

Postby jonsap » November 5th, 2016, 4:18 pm

I thought that to show the different heights from outside, you could add short walls atop of the slab as in my earlier pictures. In this case, a second floor is needed.
download/file.php?id=214

This approach assumes that the ceiling height is the same from one room to the next which is seldom the case with this style of home. Some ceiling heights are 10 feet while others are 12 feet for example? What do you do in this case?
Nick

Postby Nick » November 7th, 2016, 7:38 am

This was an approach to show different floor and ceiling height for both inside and outside. I cannot suggest you anything more than we have already discussed:
http://www.belightsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=46602&start=15#p65732

1.png
1.png (114.24 KiB) Viewed 1244 times

Nick
jonsap

Postby jonsap » November 22nd, 2016, 7:06 pm

I appreciate that you have tried. I am still without a solution to what I think should not be a problem that a reasonable percent of people might have.
Nick

Postby Nick » November 28th, 2016, 10:46 am

Hi

We discussed many issues related to your project. In order to not repeat everything from scratch, can you split the problem into smaller parts which could be dealt separately?

Nick
andydetwiler

Postby andydetwiler » May 10th, 2017, 7:05 pm

Is it possible to make a wall (loft wall) - say 8', but the opposite side be 12'? How do I make that happen? I'd like to click on the wall and change it's height.
DimA

Postby DimA » June 13th, 2017, 10:26 am

Hello Andy!

No. This can be done in another way.
You have to create a roof upon loft walls(wall type should set via Inspector to 'Loft Wall'), all loft walls will automatically grow up to roof slope.
You can find more about roof creating here:
https://www.livehome3d.com/support/lh3d-help/roofs_intro.html

Get more about wall settings here:
https://www.livehome3d.com/support/lh3d-help/objects_walls.html

Return to “Live Interior 3D”