Font outline drawn wrong when exclamation mark is used

Bampf

Postby Bampf » September 28th, 2013, 7:17 pm

Here's something odd. I opened an old Art Text project and things didn't look right. Here's an easy way to reproduce the problem.

1. Start a new document.
2. Click on Effects - Shading tab to apply the default effect. (Any effect will do.)
3. Click on Stroke to turn on the default stroke (Any color or width will do.)
4. Add an exclamation mark, so it says "Art Text!"

Now, depending on what Font you select, the stroke outline will be drawn in the wrong place. Try Helvetica or Verdana.

Removing the exclamation mark fixes the problem.

I'm not sure when this particular problem started happening; perhaps when I upgraded to Mountain Lion.

I'll work around it by changing fonts, I guess..
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » September 29th, 2013, 5:41 am

Hi
I can repeat this bug under 10.7.5 (AT 2.4.4).
This occurs with comma, semi-comma, double-points, plus, minus, equal glyphs, slash, anti-slash and, maybe, some others, too.
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website
Nick

Postby Nick » September 29th, 2013, 9:08 am

Hi

I was able to repeat this bug on 10.8.5. I will pass all the details to our programmers.

In my case, not the outline (Stroke effect) but shading effect was in a wrong place. I compared the position of outline+shader with another copy of the text that has outline+fill.

For a temporary solution, you can place the exclamation mark (or what you have) in another layer. To do this, right-click on the text, choose Extract Letters, and select the exclamation mark. Alternatively, you can convert the text to a vector shape. Both workarounds have own drawbacks.

Nick
Bampf

Postby Bampf » September 29th, 2013, 6:21 pm

I appreciate the suggestions. I'm willing to use a different font for this logo, but the other suggestions may work better for anyone else who runs into this.

Thanks!

Return to “Art Text”