AT vs SP Bézier curve tool

Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » July 14th, 2013, 9:30 am

Hi Nick
Comparing the [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bézier_curve]Bézier curve[/url] tools from SP3 (3.2.1) and AT2 (2.4.4), I noticed a few differences that seem to make the SP3 version more complete, powerful and easier to use:

#1. AT2: There's no way to open the vector shape editor with a blank window.
You always have to choose a content (text, icon or shape) then choose to edit it. So, if all you need is drawing a new shape, you have to select the content then delete it, nothing impossible or really difficult to do but, in this case, something that could be avoided (yes, I know that Option-Space clears the whole space work ;^)).

#2. AT2: Maybe I'm completely wrong but it seems impossible to draw an open shape with the Bézier curve tool.
Here's an example of a such shape made with SP3:

#3. SP3: As you draw custom shapes directly in the document window, it is possible to use guides and grid, a great help to draw exactly what you need. Unfortunately this is impossible with AT.

#4. AT2: Adding a new point from a contextual menu should be a nice addition (it's possible to do that with SP3). "Option +" works as a short key to activate the Add point tool but it is not exactly the same process that Ctrl- clicking where you want to add a point then choose "Add a point" from a contextual menu (or use Option-Shift click).

#5. SP3: Using Command key to move separately the direction lines, Shift key to rotate a direction line in 45 degrees increments, double-click to change the type of an anchor point are so useful and so easy to use that they would be added to AT2.

In a more general way, I think that similar tools from different BeLight applications (AT, SP…) should work the same way with (when possible) the same features.

Note that there's a translation error in French localization of AT:
The tooltip related to the Delete point icon (of the vector shapes editor) is "Déplacer le point" (Déplacer = move) and should be "Supprimer le point".
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website
Nick

Postby Nick » July 15th, 2013, 6:39 am

Hi Jean-Jacques,

Thanks for your comments.

1. I tested version 2.4.4 (469). In the Layer Content window, the Custom tab, when you click the + button, you can see the blank window. The Edit button on this and other tabs open the selected shape, icon or text.

2. AT works with Bézier splines that are closed shapes. I guess, this was needed because shapes are used as contours to fill them with textures, colours, etc. Also, the tools that joins layers (like Join) work with closed shapes. An open shape cannot be created in AT.

We will consider #3-5 for the future updates.

The French phrase will be corrected.

Nick
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » July 15th, 2013, 7:13 am

Hi Nick

#1. Ahhhhhhhhhhh… shame on me! ;^)
Not only it's possible but this is clearly indicated in the AT help!

#2. I've tried to create a such shape in SP3 then copy/paste it in AT2.
This "works" but unfortunately the shape is converted to an image.

Thanks
Nick

Postby Nick » July 15th, 2013, 8:26 am

On my computer, a line created in SP using the Bézier curve tool was inserted in AT as a vector shape. AT deals with the line not as with an outline, but as with a shape. In my experiments, a texture filled the line itself leaving the outlined space unchanged.

Nick
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » July 17th, 2013, 7:29 am

Nick
You're right, filling the pasted shape (with texture, plain color or gradient) works but
it seems impossible to apply stroke(s) and/or geometry tools to this kind of shape:

At the top left corner there's an open shape coming from SP3. As you can see a stroke has been added in AT. Unfortunately this stroke is applied to the whole boundary of the shape not to the "path" itself.
At the bottom right corner, there's a shape made entirely in AT: a path was drawn in the vector editor, a stroke was added then one of the geometry tools was used to distort the shape. The whole process was easy and efficient (;^))
I can understand that this is impossible to do with a shaped copied from another application then pasted in AT (clipboard seems to produce a pdf not a path), I've just need to be sure that this is possible or not.
That being said, if there was a way to draw open shape/path in AT, copy/paste from another application would not be necessary, most of the time.

Beside that, after applying geometry tools, the preview of the layer content (at the bottom of the main window) is not updated.

Nick

Postby Nick » July 17th, 2013, 8:03 am

We'll consider adding a possibility to create open Bézier curves in the vector editor. Honestly, I don't think it can appear soon in the program. At the moment, many of tools don't support such curves and would be disabled.

Beside that, after applying geometry tools, the preview of the layer content (at the bottom of the main window) is not updated.

I guess, this was done this way intentionally to show the original text or image.

Nick
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » July 17th, 2013, 9:50 am

Ok
Thanks Nick

Return to “Art Text”