Some suggestions about strokes and guide lines (and small bu

ianayn

Postby ianayn » June 19th, 2013, 10:15 am

First of all, I have to thank for this easy-to-use application. I'm using ArtText quite often for all kind of stuff and get great results. It's simple but yet powerful.
But there are some small things that I keep missing :D

Strokes – change type of corner
I really wish I could change the way strokes go around corners. Right now, every corner of a stroke is rounded. But sometimes, I would rather like to have a pointy corner. The left picture shows what I'm talking about – on the right side is what ArtText does now:

Image Image

It would be great to have a small button switching between these two options.

Snap – on/off in menu
The snapping is very helpful but not always wanted. Sometimes I don't want to align everything. Well, now I open the preferences and disable that option (of course I could just press every time Cmd while moving, but that's a pain in the a**e as well ;)). Just minutes later I need the guide lines again.
Adding this option to the menu (maybe under "view"?) so you can enable/disable guide lines with a shortcut would – imho – improve the workflow.

Snap – resizing issue
While snapping is enabled, resizing objects is a pain. If you grab a corner handle you can resize the object proportional. But as soon as one side is snapped the object keeps getting bigger/smaller in the "free" direction and distorts. This way I'm never really sure if the object is still in correct proportions, if I'm resizing it to a specific line I'd like to align it.

Document size – tabbing width and height
The smallest wish I have for now (don't know if it's just a bug): after entering the width I always press Tab to jump to height. I guess that's just what a user's expecting to happen (at least on Mac). Sadly, nothing happens. I'm falling for it every time. :D

Text color bug – opening layer content panel
When I open the layer content panel of a text object while still having the applied color-change-button activated (however they are called) its color changes to black.

That's all folks :D
Well, there is a problem with ArtText using all of my free RAM. But I guess I'm just over-using it. :rolleyes:

I hope it's understandable, since English isn't my native language ;)

greetings ianayn
Last edited by ianayn on June 19th, 2013, 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Postby Nick » June 20th, 2013, 3:14 am

Hi ianayn,

Thanks for your suggestions and comments. We'll consider them.

Snap (2):
You are right. It appears that the snap feature makes the cursor move horizontally or vertically only while you are resizing an object what makes wrong proportions.

Document size:
On my computer, pressing Tab applies the inputted value and places the cursor into the next edit box. Maybe you have some other circumstances. I have Art Text 2.4.4 on Mac OS 10.8.4.

Text color bug:
I cannot repeat this. Once I open the Content panel, the color button in the main window deactivates what indicating that the Colors pane is not linked with the text any more. If you can see the same, it' not a bug.

RAM:
The program may consume a lot of memory if your project is large enough (I mean the size in pixels) or if you are using textures at high resolution.

Nick
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » June 20th, 2013, 3:56 am

Hi all
Well, I should like to add my own thoughts:
#1 Stroke
Don't forget (@Nick) that there're three options (not two) for stroke:
CGLineCap may be: squared-off (kCGLineCapButt), rounded (kCGLineCapRound) or a slightly different squared-off end(kCGLineCapSquare)

CGLineJoin may be of: mitter, round or bevel type.
You could add these options to SP, DC, L&A and BCC too.

#2 Text color bug – opening layer content panel
(the "color button" is called a color well)
If you are talking about the color of the text that is displayed in the layer content panel, color that is always black and so that may be different than the color of the text in the corresponding layer, I think that this is an easy way to make sure that this text will be always visible (black text over a white background).
Imagine what would happen if the text of the layer was white, in the layer content panel this text would be invisible!
The layer content panel (when used for text) is basically a typing text tool.
But, if you're talking about the text in a layer, this is certainly a bug (a bug I can't repeat with 10.7.5 and AT 2.4.4 (469).

Document size
From my point of view, using Tab key should give focus to the next control (however it is: text field, color well, checkbox, slider or other (custom) control (like the chain icon between the width and height text fields)).
Note that this was working differently with the previous version of AT (2.4.3).
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website
ianayn

Postby ianayn » June 20th, 2013, 12:31 pm

Thanks a lot for the answers.

I'm on Mac OS X 10.8.4 (MacBook Pro, early '11) and ArtText 2.4.4 (from AppStore) as well.

Tab key on document size
Well then, looks like the problem's on my side. It works fine on all the other fields in ArtText, but not in the settings for document size.

Text color bug
I struggle finding the right words, so here's a video :D View video (on tinypic.com)
Maybe again something wrong with my system? Haven't seen something like this in other applications.

Ram
Yeah, that's pretty much the deal. Using Textures and blending them might be a bit too much. :rolleyes:

greetings ianayn
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » June 20th, 2013, 3:11 pm

Hi

ianayn wrote:Thanks a lot for the answers.

I'm on Mac OS X 10.8.4 (MacBook Pro, early '11) and ArtText 2.4.4 (from AppStore) as well.

Tab key on document size
Well then, looks like the problem's on my side. It works fine on all the other fields in ArtText, but not in the settings for document size.

Not necessary. A developer can set what control will receive focus when using Tab key. This can be defined programmatically or when designing the user interface.

Text color bug
I struggle finding the right words, so here's a video :D View video (on tinypic.com)
Maybe again something wrong with my system? Haven't seen something like this in other applications.

I can't repeat this behavior with 10.7.x. Maybe a 10.8.x specific bug.

Ram
Yeah, that's pretty much the deal. Using Textures and blending them might be a bit too much. :rolleyes:

greetings ianayn
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website
Nick

Postby Nick » June 21st, 2013, 1:41 am

Hi ianayn,

Your video was very helpful. The color bug and problem with use of the Tab key repeats in German localization. I guess, if you temporarily switch Art Text to English, the program will work as on Jean-Jacques' and my computers. I'll tell our programmers about this.

Sorry for this bug.

Nick
ianayn

Postby ianayn » June 21st, 2013, 10:49 am

Hi

That's it! In English (and French, tried that too) the color panel is getting unlinked and Tab works as expected.
Now I even realize why the color panel turns black: because the text in the layer content panel is black :D Everything's just fine.

Thanks for the responses. Good support here.

ianayn

Return to “Art Text”