Art text - printing - CYMK

kydhol

Postby kydhol » May 13th, 2013, 10:03 am

I have created a wonderful leaflet in Swift publisher using art text. I have made a balloon image banner and text using the "plastic" choices in effects for my titles.

I am very disappointed to learn that these cannot be converted to CMYK colours, therefore my whole design will not print the way I have designed it.

What is the point of allowing us the design wonderful tools for me to not be able to print them out!
any ideas most welcome!
Nick

Postby Nick » May 14th, 2013, 2:51 am

Hi kydhol,

The CMYK color space has certain limitations in comparison with RGB. One of them is not supporting the transparency. Since some effects in Art Text use transparency, the whole designing process is taking place in the RGB color space.

After exporting your design from Art Text, you can convert the resulting image to CMYK colors. Maybe in the future we'll add this feature to Art Text exporting options.

When you convert from RGB to CMYK, colors can change. Wikipedia has a sample image: A comparison of RGB and CMYK color models

This happens because using RGB you can encode wider range of colors than using CMYK. In Adobe's article, you can see that some tints of green color are outside the range of CMYK colors:
Color spaces and gamuts

Nick
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » May 14th, 2013, 5:44 am

Hi
Once exported as tiff/png/jpeg, your AT document may be converted from RGB to CMYK with a little help of Automator (and certainly plenty of other tools).
This doesn't solve the problem of differences in RGB vs. CMYK gamuts.

Here's a basic example of this: a little app, created from Automator and doing three "things":
#1 it copies the original image (and put this copy on the desktop);
#2 it converts the copy to CMYK color model with a Generic CMYK color profile;
#3 it opens the result in Preview.app.

Note that the choice of Generic CMYK color profile isn't necessary the best one.
You can't change the color profile from the app itself. If needed, you have to open it in Automator, make changes then re-save it, maybe with a different name.
With a little help of a variable, this certainly could be made more user-friendly.
If you make changes to this app (with Automator) be sure to leave the first action (Make copy of file) in place so you don't overwrite the original images.
To get this little tool:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/40705915/fromRGBToGenericCMYK.zip
(created and tested under 10.7.x)
A last note, doing the same kind of conversion with pdf documents is slightly more complicated as a pdf document can embed several "objects" (images, vectors, text) with different color profiles/color models (this is not a good practice but this is possible).

A last (last) note: Nick, in SP3, there's an option to export tiff, jpeg […] with CMYK color model.
This option doesn't add a color profile. At least, I think you would add a Generic CMYK profile.
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website
Nick

Postby Nick » May 14th, 2013, 8:01 am

Thank you, Jean-Jacques. I have also discovered that an image exported from Swift Publisher doesn't indicate its color profile. We will fix this.

Nick
kydhol

Postby kydhol » May 14th, 2013, 9:53 am

Thank you for all your comments.
I am still not sure of my options.
I have a complete leaflet in SP and I want to get it printed as similar as possible to my design.
The printing company needs the files to be saved with the CMYK refs, but these are not coming out the same when I save as a PDF?
You say"
After exporting your design from Art Text, you can convert the resulting image to CMYK colors. Maybe in the future we'll add this feature to Art Text exporting options."
What format should I export this in from Art text ?
Then do I just drag this in to SP ? if so that means I wont have the integrated editing functions?
Nick

Postby Nick » May 15th, 2013, 1:35 am

Your task should be considered not in terms of Art Text (AT) but Swift Publisher (SP).

There are two ways to create a CMYK image in SP:
1. When you export to TIFF or JPEG, you can choose the CMYK color model.
2. With PDF (and maybe EPS), you need to use only CMYK colors and CMYK images in your design. Any RGB object in your document (image, text or tint color, texture and so on) will result in RGB output file. Shadows are always RGB. All clipart images are RGB.

If you choose way 1 (actually, you need to consult you print shop), you can use an image created in AT with no additional change. To create a CMYK PDF in SP, you need to convert your AT file to a CMYK version.

Nick
kydhol

Postby kydhol » May 15th, 2013, 10:33 am

Thank you - exported to TIFF, but all the colours look very dull, nothing like the images I have created in SP. What a shame.
Will have to re-do using plane colours.
Many thanks

Return to “Art Text”