Snap to pixel grid no longer possible?

Wire

Postby Wire » April 16th, 2013, 10:06 pm

I use ArtText a lot for very small icons where it's often important for shapes to line up with the pixel grid to avoid excessive anti-aliasing. In previous versions of ArtText I could do that by hitting return in the position and size text boxes in the layers panel. With the latest release (2.4.4) this no longer works. Is there some other way to force shapes to snap to the pixel grid?
Nick

Postby Nick » April 17th, 2013, 5:02 am

Hi Wire,

On my computer, the Position X and Y controls work. Can you explain what kind of difficulty you have?

In the editing area, there is no any pixel grid because there can be a vector shape or text.

Nick
Wire

Postby Wire » April 17th, 2013, 6:18 pm

The X and Y controls work if you type in a large change. They do not work anymore if you are trying to make a shape that is, say, 15.4 pixels into a shape that is exactly 16 or 15 pixels.

I have made a screen recording of the problem and posted it here:
http://www.wireframesoftware.com/media/ArtTextSizeBoxes.mov

The video shows a shape that is somewhere between 15 and 16 pixels (15.x) tall.
1) I try and set the height to exactly 16. Shape height does not change.
2) I try and set the height to exactly 15. Shape height does not change.
3) I try and set the height to 17, now it works.

With no pixel grid snapping, I really need the above steps to work in order to keep my icons from turning into blurry messes.
Nick

Postby Nick » April 18th, 2013, 3:25 am

In Art Text, size and distance doesn't support decimals for pixels. You can try to create a larger image (2X or 4X) for more precise alignment. When it is ready, resize the exported image to the needed dimensions.

Nick

Return to “Art Text”