Labels & Addresses: additional fields from Address Book?

Eric

Postby Eric » September 15th, 2010, 5:56 am

Q1) I want to customize my use of L&A so that I can use fields in Address Book for non-conventional purposes. E.g. I am considering using fields like "Phonetic First Name" and "Phonetic Last Name" from Address Book 5.0.2 for a salutation and a dative case form of the contact's name (for addressing foreign envelopes where protocol recommends use of the dative rather than nominative case).

I noticed that L&A lets me select fields, but the phonetic fields are not listed as available in L&A. Could they be? Another workaround? What I really need is a field in Address Book for "Salutation" and one for "Recipient's Dative Case Name", but Apple's not going to do that for me :)

Q2) I noted that when in L&A I'm working on a new mailing label, and have selected Address Book as my source of addresses, "Custom 1" through "Custom 9" are available. However, I can't find any way to make them available in Address Book. Are they there, or are those fields only available for other sources of addresses?

Thank you!

Edited: inserted "not" in "the phonetic fields are [not] listed…". Had been omitted.
Last edited by Eric on September 15th, 2010, 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Postby Nick » September 16th, 2010, 8:16 am

Hello Eric,

1) There is no way to import "Phonetic First Name" and "Phonetic Last Name" to L&A. Probably we'll support importing this information in one of future versions.

If you have not many contacts in work, you can import them to the built-in contact database in L&A. Then type the name in the dative case into blank data fields such as Custom 1 and Custom 2. Finally, you should add these custom fields to your address template instead of the name in the nominative case.

If you have lots of contacts, this way will be too labour-intensive.

2) L&A can import from contact databases (Address Book, for instance) that have fixed names of data fields. Also it can import from spreadsheets (Numbers or MS Excel) and text files where columns may have any names. In the first case, the import procedure is simpler. In the second case, user has to link the external and internal data fields. Here, Custom fields are used if L&A doesn't have an equivalent for the data you import.

Also, you can fill in the Custom fields in the built-in database.

Nick
Eric

Postby Eric » September 16th, 2010, 9:03 pm

Nick wrote:1) There is no way to import "Phonetic First Name" and "Phonetic Last Name" to L&A. Probably we'll support importing this information in one of future versions.

Thanks, Nick, for the quick response.

I realize you probably don't like this kind of question, but (1) can you "predict" when this functionality (access to "phonetic name" fields) might be added to L&A? In effect, without it L&A is not efficient enough for me (unless I'm not understanding something). I'd have to manually manipulate the data (as I understand it) each time I want to do a mailing. I had hoped to add the dative cases to the Address Book contacts (in the phonetic name fields) one time (there are probably about 100 address that I'd do this for), and then each time the dative case would be available with no more work on my part.

(2a) The "print lists" are not dynamic, right? If I change a recipient's address in Address Book, when I open L&A, the old one will still be there, right? (2b) When does the "update" button in the "edit print list" dialog box become active? I imported a contact list from Address Book, went back to Address Book and changed one address, then came to L&A hoping to be able to "update" and see if changes would be made, but "update" is grayed out.

(3) When one prints labels directly from Apple's Address Book, long fields cause all the text on that one label to automatically shrink so all data fits on the labels. For a couple of addresses in my Address Book list, the actual names are extremely long, or the street address is. Can I make a setting so L&A will also automatically shrink the font for that label so all data fits? Or is that just something really neat that only Apple's Address Book does?
Nick

Postby Nick » September 17th, 2010, 3:59 am

Hi Eric,

1) I cannot tell you when exactly L&A will be able to import more data from Address Book.

There is a way to import your contacts with dative cases:
1. Export your contacts to a vCard file using File > Export > Export vCard menu in Address Book.
2. Convert the vCard format to CSV format.
3. Import the CSV file to L&A. You will be asked to associate input data with the internal data fields. Here, link the phonetic name with unused field (for example, Custom).
4. To print the phonetic names, add the data field you selected in step 3 to your label design.

To convert a vCard file to CSV, you can use the AddressBookExporter application (it worked well in my test), or any other program you can find on the Internet.

2a) You don't have to click the Update button when Address Book is selected in the Print List editor. Edit a contact in Address Book, then replace a contact in the print list with a contact in the left box (Address Book content).

3) Select the "Address auto resize" check box in the L&A print dialog. This function decreases the font size to fit text in the label.

Nick
Eric

Postby Eric » September 17th, 2010, 5:00 am

Wonderful! Thank you!
Eric

Postby Eric » June 1st, 2012, 12:02 am

Nick wrote:1) There is no way to import "Phonetic First Name" and "Phonetic Last Name" to L&A. Probably we'll support importing this information in one of future versions.

Hello Nick,

I don't want to nag, but maybe these additional fields can now be used to import from them? If not, could you move it up on the priority list? :)
Nick

Postby Nick » June 1st, 2012, 4:48 am

Hi Eric,

Unfortunately, this isn't one of our priority tasks. I've made sure that your suggestion is present in our list of demanded features to remember about it when we improve the data importing capabilities.

Nick

Return to “Labels & Addresses / Mail Factory”