Mail Factory address double-up

styleprint

Postby styleprint » January 18th, 2010, 11:03 pm

Hi,

We are having trouble with merge printing. We are finding it prints each address twice, and can't find how to stop that.

We have set the Contacts to "To" and drawing from an MS Excel file. The addresses only show once in the merge printing "Show Preview" diag box.

Your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Nick

Postby Nick » January 19th, 2010, 6:33 am

Hi,

In the Mail Factory Print dialog, did you select a Print List? Is there the correct number of contacts?

How the duplicated addresses were printed? 1, 1, 2, 2, ... or 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4
Do the duplicated addresses share paper sheets, or they are always on different pages?

What version of Mac OS you have?

Nick
styleprint

Postby styleprint » January 19th, 2010, 2:24 pm

Hi Nick,

Q. In the Mail Factory Print dialog, did you select a Print List?
A. No, I selected the "To" option. But I've just tried it using the Print List, and chose the correct option from the drop down. It is the same list that shows in the "Show Preview" window at the bottom right corner.

Q. Is there the correct number of contacts?
A. Where the number is given, yes! Which I find quite unusual. The problem is, there are 3048 in that list, so it's hard to check. When we look in the Print List, it appears that they are all there doing spot checks at the beginning and end.

Q. How the duplicated addresses were printed? 1, 1, 2, 2, ... or 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4:
A. 1,1,2,2 etc

Q. Do the duplicated addresses share paper sheets, or they are always on different pages?
A. They share paper sheets, as in the previous question, they go 1,1,2,2

Q. What version of Mac OS you have?
A. Mac OS X 10.4.11
styleprint

Postby styleprint » January 19th, 2010, 3:01 pm

Another thing I've noticed is that it appears to have filled the Mac's Address Book with all the addresses, as well as thousands of entries called "No Name".

Carolyn
Nick

Postby Nick » January 20th, 2010, 4:54 am

Hi Carolyn,

Q. In the Mail Factory Print dialog, did you select a Print List?
A. No, I selected the "To" option. But I've just tried it using the Print List, and chose the correct option from the drop down. It is the same list that shows in the "Show Preview" window at the bottom right corner.

I'm a bit confused. You have wrote that you have a trouble with merge printing. But in terms of Mail Factory, merge printing is based on using a print list - a list of addresses that should be printed in one go. An alternative printing method is printing one or many copies of a single address.

Q. Is there the correct number of contacts?
A. Where the number is given, yes! Which I find quite unusual. The problem is, there are 3048 in that list, so it's hard to check. When we look in the Print List, it appears that they are all there doing spot checks at the beginning and end.

I'd recommend you to create a small print list for test purposes. Ten contacts will be enough.

Try this:
1. In the floating panel with contacts, choose Print List. Create a new print list containing ten contacts.
2. Select a contact from your print list. The corresponding address should appear on your label.
3. Click Merge Printing. In the Mail Factory's Print dialog make sure that addresses are correct with no duplicates. The "Number of labels" parameters should be set to 10. Click Next.
4. In the system print dialog, set Presets to Standard. Leave the default number of copies. Click the Preview button.

Does the preview display ten selected addresses?

Note that if you set "Number of labels" to 20 having 10 addresses in the print list, you will have two copies of each address printed in order: 1, 1, 2, 2, ...

Also please check the version of Mail Factory. The last released version was 2.6.2. If you have an earlier one, update the program.

Nick
styleprint

Postby styleprint » January 22nd, 2010, 5:28 am

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the detailed response.

Re the first point: regardless of how I was getting the list, I got one. Originally it was under the "TO" section that I obtained a list, but as I mentioned above, I then found the Print List and tried that too. Either way I had the same problem.

We have version 2.6.2 installed.

I've managed to narrow the problem down. It does not occur when I preview or print the full list (we have since printed the labels, so the urgency has now gone). But the problem occurs when I try and preview or print less labels than in the full print list. For example:

I click on Merge Printing, then in the "Number of Labels" field I entered a smaller number than in the full list from the Print List (because the list was over 3000, it took an age for the program to work its way through that list to preview, and test print. In the preview window, and also on the printed labels, the addresses were printed twice (1,1,2,2...) as mentioned above. But when the full figure was left in Number of Labels field, no doubling up occurred.

I tried your suggested method of gradually increasing the numbers in the Print List. The problem still occurred as soon as I reduce the number in the Number of Labels field (to the number of labels in one sheet).

Is this a bug?

Regards and thanks,
Carolyn
Last edited by styleprint on January 22nd, 2010, 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Postby Nick » January 22nd, 2010, 5:52 am

Yes, it's a bug. I can repeat it with my print list. Unfortunately I cannot say that it will be fixed because Mail Factory won't be updated any more.

You can either create shorter print lists that contain only those addresses that should be printed. Or you can crossgrade to Labels & Addresses. The crossgrade price is lower than the full one. Details are here:
http://www.belightsoft.com/products/mailfactory/overview.php

Nick

Return to “Labels & Addresses / Mail Factory”