Label & Addresses 1.5.1 with Snow Leopard

NigelRichman

Postby NigelRichman » January 2nd, 2010, 9:24 am

HI,

I seem to be having some problems with the layout of an address label in that the Town, County and Post Code appear on the same line for some entries in the Mac Address Book.

It appears as if the layout will not put the fields on separate lines and if I try to change the start of field marker it crashes the app - seems to be a 32 bit operation that crashes.

Is this a known problem, am I doing something wrong (it seems OK on my PPC with Leopard) or is it a new 'feature' of 1.5.1?

Snow Leopard is 10.6.2 on a Core 2 Duo Intel on a 24 inch iMac.

If you would like the crash logs let me know and I will e-mail it directly to support.

Nigel
Nick

Postby Nick » January 2nd, 2010, 10:59 am

Hi Nigel,

Please send the crash log to support@belightsoft.com (mention this forum in your e-mail).

It appears as if the layout will not put the fields on separate lines and if I try to change the start of field marker it crashes the app - seems to be a 32 bit operation that crashes.

Describe what you did more detailed to make it possible to repeat the crashes. Also a sample document containing the original address you tried to change will be helpful.

Is this a known problem, am I doing something wrong (it seems OK on my PPC with Leopard) or is it a new 'feature' of 1.5.1?

It seems to be a new problem.

Nick
NigelRichman

Postby NigelRichman » January 5th, 2010, 5:27 am

Hi Nick,

I have had a response from Support that agreed there was a bug in part of it which will be fixed in a later release to stop the crashes.

However, part of the problem was my trying to adjust the cells in the way I was. Using the menu Format - Split Layout (or something - cannot quite remember and am away from my machine) to modify the layout is the correct way and resolves the problem.

Still not sure why some labels were being put into a different layout in the first place but at least I can adjust to suit.

Nigel
Nick

Postby Nick » January 5th, 2010, 7:37 am

The Split Layout function lets you separate text fields (cells) included in an address panel and rearrange them. Then you can group separate text fields into an address panel again.

Still not sure why some labels were being put into a different layout in the first place but at least I can adjust to suit.

Addresses may have different formatting because the layout of an address panel depends on the currently selected country. See what's selected in the Format > Country menu. The country name is taken from the address. If it wasn't indicated, the program uses the country name specified in the program preferences (Cmd-,).

Nick
Nick

Postby Nick » January 6th, 2010, 4:44 am

I tried to import addresses from your CSV file. They look normally in L&A. Try to import from the file you have sent. Is the result the same as you had after importing from Address Book?

Nick
NigelRichman

Postby NigelRichman » January 6th, 2010, 4:32 pm

Hi Nick,

Imported the vCard that I had exported from the AddressBook and I get the same layout issue.

That is, the Town, County and Post Code are all on the same line whereas the other addresses are all on separate lines.

I am using the Dymo Twin Turbo label printer together with the Large Address Label if that makes any difference to the formatting.

Nigel
Nick

Postby Nick » January 7th, 2010, 5:20 am

I'd like to clarify the idea with a country-sensitive address layout. To see how fields are arranged, open a new document with no address selected. A blank address panel displays the names of fields. To add one, choose Insert > Address Panel > Recipient in the menu.

Press Cmd-, to open the program preferences and move to the Address Panel section. Make sure that the check box "Make address format country-sensitive" is selected. In the "Default address format" choose "United Kingdom" (it's because the address layout you need is similar to British). Then close the dialog.

1). The address layout will look this way (I'm simplifying a bit):

[First Name] [Last Name]
[Company]
[Street]
[City]
[State/Province]
[ZIP]
[Country]

It's standard for UK.

2). Select the address panel on the canvas and in the Format > Country menu choose "USA". The layout will change to the US standard layout:

[First Name] [Last Name]
[Company]
[Street]
[City] [State/Province] [ZIP]
[Country]

3). If an address panel is populated with an address, the specified country will determine the address layout.

Labels & Addresses can re-arrange the town, country and other parts of an address as described above only if this information is placed into the corresponding fields. If I type them into a single text field in Address Book, they will appear in Labels & Addresses together and the program will not split or re-arrange them.

Nick
NigelRichman

Postby NigelRichman » January 7th, 2010, 4:57 pm

Hi Nick,

You are right. The problem label did have the Format Country set to the USA.

This became the right format when I selected UK.

I have also checked the preferences settings and the default country was set to USA.

As the problem label was with the Country of Wales I assume the app does not realise that the United Kingdom is made up of Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland and England.

Would not be a problem when the default country is set how I needed it.

Thanks for the information - that has helped a lot.

Nigel

Return to “Labels & Addresses / Mail Factory”