"No Name" in Print list

Tankmaster

Postby Tankmaster » November 23rd, 2009, 9:05 pm

I am using this program to build and print inventory labels with bar codes. I am able to create a list of all my parts numbers, along with a description of each and even our company name in a text box.
What i need now is to be able to print a mix of labels as needed when we process orders. This seems to be somewhat harder as i have not found a way to select just the labels needed for one order. It looks like it can be done, but in order to import the data i have created tab delimited text files which when imported every label comes in as NO NAME. If someone could tell me the correct way to import so i can see either a part number or item name in the print list i am sure i could then select the individual labels to print. I can export from my business software as simple text, excel, tab delimited or comma separated. I am not a pro at working with these kinds of files, but with a tip i could possible create a list that is more useful. I just bought this today and it seems very capable so far.
Nick

Postby Nick » November 24th, 2009, 3:57 am

Hi Tankmaster,

The side panel in the main window was aimed to work with contacts. The personal names are normally displayed here. Working with your data, you probably leave the First Name and Last Name data fields empty, so the program has nothing to display.

What to do:
When you import, the program displays the dialog where you match your data to the internal data fields. In your source spreadsheet, there must be a column that lets you distinguish the data records (for instance, the product name). You should link it to the First Name or Last Name data filed in the import dialog of Labels & Addresses. Than this information will appear in the side panel so that you can select the necessary items to print.

Nick
Tankmaster

Postby Tankmaster » November 25th, 2009, 5:43 pm

Nick,
Thank you for the assistance. I was able to add a column which then showed up in my print list. I just number the lines so I would be able to select a number and print how ever many of that inventory item I need.
The problem was that I found no way to select and import the data from just that line. No matter what number was selected only the first inventory item came over. It seemed like I needed a way to select a row and a column when the file was chosen.
If the item shows in the side panel, how does the comma separated file import just the line required. Seems to need one more step that is not apparent to me.

Thanks;

Tom
Nick

Postby Nick » November 26th, 2009, 5:33 am

Hi Tom,

If the item shows in the side panel, how does the comma separated file import just the line required. Seems to need one more step that is not apparent to me.

The program imports the whole file. You cannot select a particular line to import. To choose a particular line(s) to print, you should select the corresponding items in the side panel.

Nick
Tankmaster

Postby Tankmaster » November 26th, 2009, 9:37 am

Nick,
I was not clear in my question. The whole file did import, but when I tried to select the particular lines in the side panel to print but the print window showed only the data from the fist line of the entire file. It did not seem to allow me to print for example, line 42. I must admit that I did not print a page due to seeing only the first label from the data file showing in the preview window.
I had also hope that in the side panel I would be able to select random lines, but without the correct labels showing in the print window it seems unable.

By the way, I glanced at your web site and must tell you that the art work is very beautiful. You have a tremendous talent.

Thanks for your help.

Tom
Nick

Postby Nick » November 27th, 2009, 5:30 am

Hi Tom,

While importing from a text file, Labels & Addresses expects one contact per line. When you print, each label contains information of one contact. Summing up, you can print one line of a spreadsheet per one label. This is how Labels & Addresses works. Maybe it is possible to reorganize data in the spreadsheet or export to a text file in different way. Without seeing the structure of your data, it's difficult to tell you anything concrete.

Nick

PS: Thanks, that's my sister's web site :-) I'm just helping her with the web design and other technical issues.
Tankmaster

Postby Tankmaster » November 27th, 2009, 10:48 am

Nick,
Your suggestion of using excel to organize makes sense. rather than export to a comma-separated text file which cannot make changes as easily. I could make a master spreadsheet and move the item numbers that I wish to print to the top of the list which prints very easily.

Your english is amazing, as if you were raised in the USA. Your sister is very talented and you created a very nice web site. My brother does the same and has been a graphics designer for 30 years and web designer.

Thanks for your help.
Nick

Postby Nick » November 27th, 2009, 11:40 am

If your original data is in the text format, see what you can do without moving to other format.

For example, if you have each piece of data in a separate line, you can automatically replace line breaks with commas (or tabs) to create a comma-separated (tab-separated) file. To do this, create a copy of your source file.

Everything depends on your text file formatting. If you could send me a sample file, my help would be more effective. Email: support@belightsoft.com

Nick
Nick

Postby Nick » November 30th, 2009, 5:36 am

I have received your files, thanks. My reply was emailed.

Nick

Return to “Labels & Addresses / Mail Factory”