Multi Line Street?

EFaden

Postby EFaden » October 12th, 2009, 1:11 pm

So I have a few addresses that have streets that take up multiple lines.... E.g. apt numbers etc. Normally this is handled with a "Street 1", "Street 2", ... etc field. How can I handle these situations in Labels & Addresses?
Nick

Postby Nick » October 13th, 2009, 1:50 am

Hi EFaden,

Please open the program preferences (Cmd-,), switch to the Address Panel tab and deselect the "Set street field in a line" check box.

Nick
EFaden

Postby EFaden » October 13th, 2009, 6:55 am

Didn't seem to change anything?....
Nick

Postby Nick » October 13th, 2009, 8:06 am

Possibly I didn't understand your question correctly that time.

To store several addresses, you can use "work" and "home" options in the Address Book or in the built-in data base. To select which address to print, use the "Preferred Address" drop-down list in the Text tab of the Inspector.

Nick
stoney

Postby stoney » December 7th, 2009, 12:02 pm

Nick, I believe that you misunderstood EFaden. I have the same problem, which is that my address databases contain two street address fields. 98% of them have the 2nd field blank, but those that have them use them for PO box numbers, mail stops, Apt. numbers, etc. I was surprised that there's only one Street field, and no way to add another one. I've made a custom address panel with Custom 1 used for any 2nd Street lines, and that works, but it's clunky and non-obvious.

Why don't you have a standard "Street 2" field? Can this be added to a future version?

At least this app doesn't leave blank lines for empty fields, like the Avery software does.
Nick

Postby Nick » December 8th, 2009, 3:39 am

Hi stoney,

How the second address line gets inside Labels & Addresses? It is worth adding if we can provide an easy way to automatically import this information. The Apple Address Book seems to have only one field for the address. If there is a two-line address, both lines will be imported into one field in L&A.

Nick
tycochllan

Postby tycochllan » December 14th, 2009, 6:29 am

Nick wrote:Hi stoney,

How the second address line gets inside Labels & Addresses? It is worth adding if we can provide an easy way to automatically import this information. The Apple Address Book seems to have only one field for the address. If there is a two-line address, both lines will be imported into one field in L&A.

Nick

I think my problem is related to this. I import my addresses from Apple Address Book. If an address has two lines in the street address, Labels and Addresses inserts a blank line between the two like this:

Mr A Bloggs
2 Anystreet

Rhiwbina
Cardiff
CFX *censored*

I don't want to use the 'set street field in a line' option, I just want to print the address without the blank line.

Please help.
---
Roger
Nick

Postby Nick » December 14th, 2009, 7:51 am

Hi tycochllan,

Labels & Addresses doesn't add an extra line. Probably you have an empty line in an address in your Address Book. If you haven't, please send a sample contact to support@belightsoft.com — I'll try to repeat the problem. To export a contact, select one in Address Book and choose File > Export > Export vCard.

Nick
tycochllan

Postby tycochllan » December 14th, 2009, 7:54 am

I've found a workaround, which is to go back through all my Apple address book entries and replace the carriage returns in the street line with a soft carriage return (shift + return), but it would still be better to be able to contro this from within the Labels & Addresses program.
---
Roger
Nick

Postby Nick » December 14th, 2009, 8:20 am

I've tried 2-line addresses with Return and Shift-Return in the end of the first line. No empty line was added in L&A. I tested the program with Mac OS 10.5.7. What's you version of the operating system? We need to repeat the problem on our computer, to find a solution.

Nick
tycochllan

Postby tycochllan » December 14th, 2009, 8:23 am

Thanks Nick, our last replies crossed. I'll send you a sample contact. I'm using 10.6.2
---
Roger
Nick

Postby Nick » December 14th, 2009, 9:50 am

Roger,

Thanks for sending me files. An address in your vCard has an empty line. Labels & Addresses displays that address correctly (what is imported that is displayed). I discussed this issue with the developers. We aren't going to remove such empty lines in the middle of an address automatically. You will have to delete them in the Address Book.

Nick
tycochllan

Postby tycochllan » December 14th, 2009, 11:14 am

Nick
Thanks for the response. That is strange, since my address book doesn't show an empty line. I'll email you a screenshot of the entry.
---
Roger
tycochllan

Postby tycochllan » December 15th, 2009, 6:18 am

Nick wrote:Roger,

Thanks for sending me files. An address in your vCard has an empty line. Labels & Addresses displays that address correctly (what is imported that is displayed). I discussed this issue with the developers. We aren't going to remove such empty lines in the middle of an address automatically. You will have to delete them in the Address Book.

Nick

I can't see any empty lines in my address book entries, and address book prints labels without an empty line, whereas L&A inserts one (see pdf files I emailed to you).
---
Roger
Nick

Postby Nick » December 15th, 2009, 7:35 am

When I add your contact in my Address Book, an empty lilne is present there. If I print it, the empty line disappears.

In your vCard the address field has unusual formatting: ";n" instead of "n" to create a new line. I couldn't repeat this in a test contact — pressing Return or Shift-Return gives the correct result. Possibly the extra semicolon symbol was added not in Address Book but in other software and then imported to Address Book.

Nick

Return to “Labels & Addresses / Mail Factory”