Mail Factory and Formal Envelope Addressing

Cguy

Postby Cguy » August 25th, 2009, 12:30 am

I am trying to print out formal invitations, and automate the handling of the different types of addresses.

For example

1) A married couple "Mr. and Mrs. John Doe"
2) A married couple with different last names "Ms. Jane Smith and Mr. John Doe"
3) Adding Children "Mr. and Mrs. John Doe", 2nd line "Billy, Sally and Bobby"

That catches most of them. I have everything in Address Book, and I was looking for suggestions on how to make this work. Just using Name+Spouse doesn't work since if they have different last names it comes out "John and Jane Smith Doe".

I also can't seem to make it recognize more that 1 child, if Address Book has entries for more than 1 child, Mail Factory only seems to see the first child.

Thanks!
Nick

Postby Nick » August 25th, 2009, 4:13 am

Hi Cguy,

Case (1) is supported in the program.

(2) - A workaround is to create a new contact specially for your task. The "main" name fields: first name = "Jane Smith"; last name should be blank. Spouse name = "John Doe". When you use the Name+Spouse address panel, the program displays "Jane Smith and John Doe".

It is better to import contacts from Address Book into the My Recipients database (inside mail Factory) and edit them here, since you will use them only with this program.

(3) - Type all the children names together into the same field "Billy, Sally and Bobby". By some reason, the Child field in Mail Factory doesn't allow to add several words. So you have to use "Custom 1" for this. To add the "Custom 1" field in the Name+Spouse address panel, right-click on the panel and select Ungroup. Then drag the "Custom 1" field from the Design panel onto the canvas. Rearrange the fields. Select all fields, right-click on them and choose Group in the pop-up menu.

Nick
Cguy

Postby Cguy » August 25th, 2009, 6:00 am

How is case (1) supported, exactly. Do I have to explicitly type Mr. and Mrs. in the prefix? Because when I have a spouse and try this, I can't figure out how to get both the titles.

In case (2), that won't include the Titles, though - will it? (e.g., MS. Jane Smith and MR. John Doe)

For case (3), I had all of the children under the Child field in Address Book, and that added okay using Child instead of Custom 1 (which I haven't exactly figured out how to use anyway). Or is that needed if I do the import you recommend?

Thanks for the other help, though.
Last edited by Cguy on August 25th, 2009, 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Postby Nick » August 25th, 2009, 6:48 am

For (1) I meant what the pattern Name+Spouse provides. If you wish to have something like "Mr and Mrs. Smith", create a custom address panel (using Group and Ungroup commands) where the first line contains constant text "Mr and Mrs." and then a text field with the name which will change depending on the selected contact. To add constant text, use the "A" button below the canvas.

Mail Factory has the Prefix field for titles, but it works for the main name, not for the spouse name.

In case (2), you will have to add the titles manually.

The case (3): if you prefer to prepare all the data in Address Book, you don't need to use Custom 1. That would be important if you edited the contact information in Mail Factory contact database.

Nick
Cguy

Postby Cguy » August 25th, 2009, 11:07 am

Thanks.

Mail Factory is not as automated as I would prefer, but it certainly is flexible!

Return to “Labels & Addresses / Mail Factory”