OpenOffice Integration

mhanson

Postby mhanson » August 5th, 2009, 9:31 pm

I have recently installed Labels and Addresses. I am trying to do a mail merge with a spreadsheet but I do not have MS Office installed only OpenOffice and Numbers however it does not appear to work.
Can I do anything to make the mail merge work with either OpenOffice or Numbers
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » August 6th, 2009, 3:26 am

Hi mhanson

1. From OpenOffice/NeoOffice:
- after launching OpenOffice/NeoOffice, choosing the right file…
- use File>Save As…then select "Text CSV (csv) as File type
- name your file as you want but don't change file extension (.csv)
- clicking on "Save" button opens a new small window (named Export of text files)
- from here, set:
-- character set to UTF-8
-- field delimiter to TAB (don't type a TAB char, use the menu to get the right delimiter)
-- text delimiter to " (double quote not two single quotes)
Other choices are possible (comma as field separator i.e.) but at first use these settings as a good start point.

2. From LA:
- after launching LA, choosing the right layout…
- select text file from the left pane menu
- use the "circle arrow" button at the right of this menu to open file selector
- locate and open your file (the .csv one)
- now, you have to map fields from your file to fields of your layout (Last Name, Fist Name…)
- LA seems to be smart enough (;^)) to get the right file settings (field delimiter, text delimiter and encoding) from the file so, except if preview looks strange, leave these settings as they are.
You may navigate from one record to the next/previous one with… Next/Previous buttons so use them to verify if all is ok.
"Strange" results may occur with:
- wrong field delimiter (comma in place of tab i.e.): all fields of the same record appear in the same "line"
- wrong encoding: "strange" characters appear in place of cedille (ç), accents (É)…

Hope this helps.
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website
mhanson

Postby mhanson » August 6th, 2009, 4:13 am

Great - thanks - problem solved.
Any chance there will include better integration with OpenOffice in a coming release?
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » August 6th, 2009, 4:51 am

Hi
About Numbers (v 1.03 from iWork '08):
- you have to use File>Save As… not File>Export… to… export as a CSV file your documents
- Numbers exports (or saves as!) to text files using a comma as fields separator, no way to select another one (say tab character)
So when importing into LA, be sure that delimiter setting is comma (one more time, LA seems to get the right one easily ,^)).
About OpenOffice/NeoOffice integration, wait an see what BeLight devs think about this (I'm not one of them!).

Well, I'm not sure of that but as OpenOffice/NeoOffice don't support AppleScript (unlike Address Book, FileMaker, Excel…), adding them to the source menu seems complicated (or even impossible).
Last edited by Jean-Jacques Boutaud on August 6th, 2009, 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website

Return to “Labels & Addresses / Mail Factory”