Printing Avery labels with data from Excel spreadsheet

bobgarv

Postby bobgarv » July 28th, 2009, 9:29 am

I have an Excel spreadsheet which lists name/address information for several hundred individuals. I would like to create mailing labels for this group. The spreadsheet contains some columns (e.g. email address; phone number) that I do not want to appear on the mailing labels. I think I need to create a Print List, importing the data from my Excel spreadsheet (but excluding the unwanted columns), but I'm confused as to how to do that even after referring to the Help pages. Is there a forum item explaining the steps necessary to do what I need to do?
Nick

Postby Nick » July 29th, 2009, 3:11 am

Hi,

Labels & Addresses prints not all imported information but only what you want to appear on the labels. So you don't have to exclude columns when you import.

The information may be presented on the label as:
1. An address panel - you can choose one of standard address panels or create a custom address panel. It may contain different data fields so that you can control what is printed.
2. Separate text fields. Again, you can add in the document only those fields that you want to print.

Alternatively, you can select what to import in the import dialog (this is what you wanted to do). In the "Map To" column, set "–" in each line that shouldn't be imported.

Another way to exclude columns. You can create a new Excel document and copy in it only those columns that you wish to import in Labels & Addresses. Then import from this document.

Nick
bobgarv

Postby bobgarv » July 29th, 2009, 8:40 am

Nick,

I'm trying to follow the instructions in the Help menu. I select the Contacts tab, then select MS Excel, and then click on the Open File dialog box (the circular arrow). That opens the Mac's Finder, and I scroll down to the Excel file I want to use and click on Open in the Finder. That opens the Excel file. However, according the L&A's Help, I should also then see a grid in L&A which I would then use to link the external data to the internal data fields. The grid does not appear. Am I missing a step or doing something wrong?
Nick

Postby Nick » July 29th, 2009, 9:09 am

Normally, when you select a file and click Open, Excel starts and sends the information to L&A. L&A displays the received data in the grid. If Excel doesn't open, check the L&A preferences. In the last tab "Address Importing", there should be the path to Excel.

Nick
bobgarv

Postby bobgarv » July 29th, 2009, 9:36 am

Excel does open and the selected spreadsheet does appear in Excel. But the grid that apparently should also appear in L&A does not appear. I checked the L&A Preferences and that doesn't appear to be the problem. On the Address Importing tab under Data Source Applications the following appears in the box opposite MS Excel:
/Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Microsoft Excel.app
bobgarv

Postby bobgarv » July 29th, 2009, 9:55 am

I think I found the reason for my problem. For some reason it seems L&A won't open the grid if the Excel file is a Shared file. When I resaved the file in Excel as an unshared file and then selected it in L&A the grid opened up as it should.
Nick

Postby Nick » July 30th, 2009, 2:14 am

Probably we can fix this in L&A. Can you tell me please, how the file was shared? I mean, it was in the shared folder in your Home, or it was on the network drive, or...

Nick
bobgarv

Postby bobgarv » July 30th, 2009, 9:24 am

Nick,

I'm not sure I'm going to be much help, but here's what I know.
The file is on my hard drive under Macintosh HD/Users/Bob/Documents. In checking to respond to your question I saw that there is in fact a "Shared" folder (Macintosh HD/Users/Shared), but that is not where this file is located. I don't actually share it with anyone. I make frequent changes to the file to update the addresses and wanted to track the changes, so I clicked on Tools/Track Changes/ Highlight Changes. That brought up a dialog box which informed me that in order to be able to highlight changes Excel would convert the file to a Shared file. I clicked on OK and the file name then had [Shared] after the file extension. I guess Excel assumes the reason for tracking changes is that there are multiple persons making the changes and the tracking identifies each change and who made the change. Although I have no need to share my file with anyone I use the feature so I can keep track of the changes I've made to the file.
I hope this information is helpful.
Bob
Nick

Postby Nick » July 30th, 2009, 10:30 am

Thank you, Bob.

Nick

Return to “Labels & Addresses / Mail Factory”