TEXT SHADOW WYSIWYG results

franck91

Postby franck91 » August 15th, 2006, 7:08 am

Using Mail Factory since a certain time....and a bit desapointed by the results obtained with text shadow feature when printing or simply viewing on the preview.

Just to illustrate, type a text then on the Font window select a text shadow and adjust properties of the shadow...Then go on the Print page and you will see that the shadow effect viewed is completely different that the one you set up, of course the printing is almost same....Any idea's to get a better shadow/text management ?

Rgds
Iek

Postby Iek » August 15th, 2006, 11:08 am

Actually, a printed design may differ from the one you see on your screen.
This difference may be caused, for example, with
unsuitable type of paper or the printer has problems with half-tints etc.

But you wrote about the print preview. Please, specify, what difference you see in the text shadow
(color, sharpness or something else).

Also, I would like to note, that the vector printing mode
shows better printing result - try to disable the "Print as a raster image" option in
the printing dialog if it is set.
franck91

Postby franck91 » August 17th, 2006, 3:10 am

Ok,
I understand that a printed design may differ from the screen when printed on different papers etc...But just stay on the design step. My printing parameter don't use the Raster option (disabled) for information.

So, just follow those steps : You design something simple , you select the Font , for example uses Helvetica which is a very common and standard font (but all the Fonts do the same), then on the Font panel, you adjust the size to fit on your template, then you select text Shadow, then adjust the shadow properties you want to see.... it's generating on the screen a grey shadow well drawn and you could adjust the offset of this shadow for the position the shadow blur etc...So for the test put the Blur on the minimum...

Then go on Print, which is opening the Mail factory preview screen, you could zoom on it and see that the preview design is different from what you've done, so you press Edit mode button to do some correction....Then the edit show you now what you've done then un pressing Edit mode return to the wrong display.
The preview show you a big offset on the Shadow and un uncorrect shadow position compared to the one you've done.

Just to illustrate this, i have made a very simple design, but following this you could easily reproduce what i'm discribing.

Configurations :
MAC OSX 10.4.7
O/S language : French
Mail Factory 2.4 (V198)
Printer : Seen on Epson Photo 750, recently moved to a brand new Canon 5200R

Nota : it's not necessary to print out the document, the MailFactory preview is correcly displaying what will be printed which is different from the design, so in order to test it it's easy to generate a PDF or a preview thru the OSX printing driver who will correctly show the difference.
Of course to simplify i've deliberaltly put the shadow blur to the minimum to clearly understand in first the Offset problem.
Iek

Postby Iek » August 22nd, 2006, 9:03 am

If you compare the document in the Mail Factory window with the result in the print preview, you will see
that the text shadow is displayed correctly if you don't zoom in the Mail Factory document (actual size).
But if you zoom in the document, the distance between letters and their shadows will be displayed incorrectly.
It happens because the present version of Mail Factory uses the system functionality to draw the text shadow, and it
appears that it works not irreproachably. To improve this situation, we are going to add the internal "shadow" functionality in one of the future updates of Mail Factory, as it has already been done in our other applications.

Return to “Labels & Addresses / Mail Factory”