POSTNET barcode length

sailhome

Postby sailhome » August 12th, 2006, 7:12 pm

I've noticed that Mail Factory HE generates 9-digit POSTNET barcodes. I regularly send mail through a service that takes advantage of 11-digit barcodes.

Is there a way to have MF HE do this? If not, is it supported in the full version of MF?

If neither version currently supports 11-digit barcodes, please consider adding this capability to a future update.

Thanks -sailhome
Nick

Postby Nick » August 14th, 2006, 2:35 am

Mail Factory as well as Mail Factory HE generates POSTNET barcodes. The barcode generator is sensitive to the country name.

You should enter the country name into the Country field. If you don't want to print the country name, give the program name of country whose address format must be used:
1. Select the address panel.
2. Open menu Format > Country and select a country from the list.
The default country can be set in Preferences > Address Panel tab > Default address format. It will be applied to addresses in which no country is specified. For example, if the most of your mail is sent within US, setting the default country is more preferably.

Nick
sailhome

Postby sailhome » August 14th, 2006, 10:12 am

Nick, thanks for the quick response!

I need to clarify my question. I already understand that MF and MF HE generate USA barcodes, and I know how to print them. However, there are three standard lengths of POSTNET barcode:

5-digit barcode -- based on 5-digit zip code. Uses 32 bars.

9-digit barcode -- based on Zip+4 zip code. Uses 52 bars.

11-digit barcode -- based on Zip+4 zip code plus the last two digits of the street number. Uses 62 bars.

MF HE is generating a 9-digit barcode (52 bars long).

I would like it to generate an 11-digit barcode (62 bars long).

Looking forward to your next response! -sailhome
Nick

Postby Nick » August 15th, 2006, 4:00 am

Sorry, I thought you printed barcodes with other software but have a problem with MF.

To get 11-digit barcode just enter those 11 digits into the ZIP field. It seems the algorithm for generating ZIP+4+2 is the same as for ZIP+4. To test MF, I decoded barcodes from MF by the on-line POSTNET barcode decoder and got the original digits. If you used 11-digit barcodes before, you can use them to check Mail Factory once more.

Nick
sailhome

Postby sailhome » August 15th, 2006, 1:45 pm

Nick -- you folks are awesome!

I just tried it and you are right it works correctly. I used the POSTNET decoder to confirm several addresses and I also compared to several known accurate 11-digit codes. All of the FM barcodes are correct.

I really appreciate your swift replies and useful help.

By the way, I am impressed with how well the program takes an address copied from the clipboard and successfully places all of the elements into the appropriate fields. Great time saver!

I'm definitely recommending BeLight to others!

Thanks again -sailhome

Return to “Labels & Addresses / Mail Factory”